What if

This is a discussion on What if within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A hypothetical question. What if someone found a older .45 military pistol that had all of the bluing worn off of it, but had absolutely ...

Thread: What if

What if

A hypothetical question.

What if someone found a older .45 military pistol that had all of the bluing worn off of it, but had absolutely NO serial number? No place where it had been filed or acided (Is that a word?) off nor any other serious damage.
    Where could this have come from? Maybe OSS?
    Besides time in jail, would it be worth anything more than a comparable numbered unit?

2. Remove Ads

Could just be from the time before serial #'s were required.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Serial numbers were not required by law until GCA '68. I have 2 shotguns that don't have serial numbers. One a Mossberg 180D (a .410 bolt action), the other a New Haven Arms 600 AB. Both were made prior to 1968. The 180D was made roughly between 1960 and 1964 according to the Mossberg Collectors group. There should be no jail time at all because no crime has been committed.

Maybe OSS? Why not the Grassy Knoll???

Fun theories notwithstanding (and I think you could have a lot of fun with that), there is almost nothing you can do with that gun if it has no serial number, except hang onto it. Depending on your state's laws, a private sale might be permissible, but that's about it. A licensed dealer or gunsmith can't give it back to you even if you handed it over for service. A licensed manufacturer (and the rules changed within the past year of so about gunsmiths being 'manufacturers') might be able to apply a number and 'sell' it back to you, but I doubt one would take that legal liability.

You described this as a "military pistol" - so I assume that it's either a Colt 1911 of one of the extremely rare Lugers in .45 ACP (unlikely). I can't speak for the Luger, but every Colt left the factory with a serial number. So... that points to either a number being removed so cleverly there's no mark, or a frame was obtained from the factory (or independently fabricated - again, unlikely) before a S/N was applied.

One last thought - if you haven't already done so, remove the grips and make sure there's no number hiding under there.

If this gun is a Colt, I suggest contacting a Colt collector's organization to find out more about what you have. Who knows, maybe they really did run off a special lot without numbers, just for spies!
    Last edited by gasmitty; October 3rd, 2010 at 07:54 PM.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    A hypothetical question.

What if someone found a older .45 military pistol that had all of the bluing worn off of it, but had absolutely NO serial number? No place where it had been filed or acided (Is that a word?) off nor any other serious damage.
    Besides time in jail, would it be worth anything more than a comparable numbered unit?
    I'll buy it from you. How much you want?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    A hypothetical question.

You are a very lucky guy
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

No crime, no time.
    Keep the gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links