Why 5.11?

Why 5.11?

This is a discussion on Why 5.11? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What does the 5.11 mean when people talk about tactical stuff? I see the vests, knives, and even a watch(im not kidding about the watch) ...

Thread: Why 5.11?

Why 5.11?

What does the 5.11 mean when people talk about tactical stuff? I see the vests, knives, and even a watch(im not kidding about the watch) marked 5.11 tactical. Does it actually mean something?

Lead Moderator
    5.11 is just a brand. Branched off from Royal Robbins. 5.11 clothing is geared toward LE/ military as well as CCW. most of the clothing features hidden pockets to stash your gun/spare mags ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Royal Robbins started out makeing climbing gear. 5.11 is the designation of the most difficult climb, somthing thought impossible to do , but some climbers will try. See 5.11 web sight under company info.

Yep, as stated above the designation came from climbing.
    The CCW crowd got into them after the LE market did (The so called FBI pants).
    5.11 pants are comfortable and durable, I wear them at work all the time (I work in LE/CJ so it's almost the norm)

Royal Robbins still makes the same pants called Half-Dome pants, Half-Dome being a most difficult rock to climb in Yosemite.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Cool, thanks guys. I would've never guessed that.

Lead Moderator
    Never knew the 5.11 designation was for climbing. Very interesting , thanks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    They've almost become a uniform.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Moderator
    They've almost become a uniform.
    In some places they are.

We just recently went to 5.11 khaki shorts with 5.11 white polos with our names and badges embroidered on them. They actually look pretty good and are a whole lot cooler than the black BDU's we were wearing.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    In some places they are.

We just recently went to 5.11 khaki shorts with 5.11 white polos with our names and badges embroidered on them. They actually look pretty good and are a whole lot cooler than the black BDU's we were wearing.
    We use them for some special team stuff, and they are used by some of the other state and local agencies when training and for special assignements.

I was more referencing the use of them by sport shooteres and CCW types.

5.11 does have a uniform line as well. If I had my druthers, I'd switch us over to 5.11 pants with the matching shirts for our regular uniforms.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Prior to catching on with everyone as the new tactical "must-have" and prior to the 5.11 subsidiary company designation, the 5 pocket khaki Royal Robbins pants were (and probably still are) issued to FBI and other Federal agency firearms instructors. As stated, they were originally designed for rock-climbing and prior to becoming so popular were available only direct from Royal Robbins and a few specialty climbing stores. I have both the original Royal Robbins and the new 5.11 version. They are identical in fit and configuration, except that I find the original with the Royal Robbins tag to be more durable. My Royal Robbins pairs that are sevral years older have been subjected to much more rigorous training and have held up better than the newer 5.11s that I have. That being said, the new 5.11s are still probably more durable than anything else you'll find.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Administrator
    Lots of tough pockets & GREAT properly placed belt loops ~ an absolute necessity.

Senior Moderator
    Lots of tough pockets & GREAT properly placed belt loops ~ an absolute necessity.
    Yeah..I like the left pocket above the side pocket. Its perfect for my cellphone. If you are wearing a duty belt with stuff all over it, the slanted back pokets are a whole lot easier to get your wallet out of.

The reinforced corner on the side pockets is great if you clip a knife to your pocket alot. Also, they are great for concealed carry, as the belt loops dont interfere with an IWB holster.That elastic band in the waist is good too.

Sponsored Links