Being into guns screwed me

This is a discussion on Being into guns screwed me within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Welll I agree with Sixto's advice. Work on your delivery. My wife is younger than me, and about your girl's appeared age. It is easy ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Being into guns screwed me

Welll I agree with Sixto's advice. Work on your delivery. My wife is younger than me, and about your girl's appeared age. It is easy to be too forward or too withdrawn. Heavy on one or the other will freak them out and it is awfully tough to reel them back in once they are spooked. Now that being said, I will fly the flag of suspicion.

I dont think the gun thing or the cop thing is the reason she dumped you. It was one small thing she didnt necessarily like, and it allowed her to rationalize running you off. I think what she perceived to be a better offer came available or she just wants to not settle for one guy right now. Girls that age arent in to finding forever. Sixto is right...she has a lot of options.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Don't worry about. Wait until you see who you are going to be working with.
    In case they don't warn you in orientation, there is a subtype in our species known as "holster sniffers" or having "(uniform color) shirt fever". These are the ones that have a thing for cops. They want that pay and benefits package. Some of them know exactly how long they have to be married to you before they can get half of your pension in a divorce action. These are frequently found working in dispatch centers or working in other civillian positions in police departments. For some their job with the department is nothing more than a way to get access to cops. Once they land their officer they are ready to resign and let you work your regular shift, plus overtime, plus a part time job or two.
    If you suspect your latest dating prospect might be one of these, in casual conversation let it slip that you are only doing this until the economy turns around and that you really want to work in the county/city human resources office but with the hiring freeze the only job you could get was as a cop. If they suddenly don't have time for you after that, you have found one.

+1...I am not a cop but work very closely with them everyday. Some women just like the thrill of the "power" a cop has, not necessarily the monetary. Had a friend who went from uniform to plainclothes detective, and noticed he wasnt attracting as much attention from the ladies. He did notice his partner got a lot when wearing his shoulder rig and badge around his neck. He switched and saw an exponential increase. LOL
    Last edited by jwhite75; October 4th, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Being into guns DID NOT "screw" you up...but being into guns might have prevented you from getting screwed...

Just a thought...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't think it was the guns or the cop thing, based on what you have said and done, it was your timing and delivery of both topics. You should have got a better feeling for her mindset and slowly introduced your own. In the big picture, guns end up being a small part of life, no matter how much into them you are. Talking guns in a new relationship is like talking religion or politics when the other persons views are unknown. You might hit a home run, or you are going to crash and burn; you must do your homework first!

The cop thing... well, others are right; Not many women have what it takes to be a cops wife. But, on the other side, nobody really knows or understands what that really means until they get there. Some will thrive when they thought not, and others flounder when they were thought to be strong enough. It might of been the fact that you are not a cop yet, its tough to get hired, and she might of taken it as a school boy fantasy "I want to be a policeman when I grow up." Maybe she is looking for somebody already established. You would have known that if you had better timing.

Posting her picture on the Internet probably doesn't help your case either.
    You have to be smoother and smarter than that if you want to keep a girl who has plenty of options on your arm.

Thats enough of Sixto's tutorial on how to pick up and keep hot chicks.

Work on your timing and delivery, then get back in the batters box and take another swing.
    That is correct. I do not think she would like it at all. If I was the OP I should remove the pic asap.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Finding out now was less costly than divorcing her later...

or child support...

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    Hey I am a southern girl, I love guns but I look nothing like that.
    Be glad for that!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't think it was the guns or the cop thing, based on what you have said and done, it was your timing and delivery of both topics. You should have got a better feeling for her mindset and slowly introduced your own. In the big picture, guns end up being a small part of life, no matter how much into them you are. Talking guns in a new relationship is like talking religion or politics when the other persons views are unknown. You might hit a home run, or you are going to crash and burn; you must do your homework first!

The cop thing... well, others are right; Not many women have what it takes to be a cops wife. But, on the other side, nobody really knows or understands what that really means until they get there. Some will thrive when they thought not, and others flounder when they were thought to be strong enough. It might of been the fact that you are not a cop yet, its tough to get hired, and she might of taken it as a school boy fantasy "I want to be a policeman when I grow up." Maybe she is looking for somebody already established. You would have known that if you had better timing.

Posting her picture on the Internet probably doesn't help your case either. You have to be smoother and smarter than that if you want to keep a girl who has plenty of options on your arm.

Thats enough of Sixto's tutorial on how to pick up and keep hot chicks.

Work on your timing and delivery, then get back in the batters box and take another swing.
    I think this post hits the nail on the head, and in a very nice way.

Yes, take the photo down.

I've really enjoyed reading the responses, so thanks for the post.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    She might be pretty but she doesn't look like she could cook, eggs, bacon & grits or rice & gravy, potato salad & green bean or grill a steak & baked potato if you were too tired in the evening. She did you a favor and you just don't know it yet. Find a girl that loves to cook.
    SCGunLover1

She simply indicated she wasn't into guns herself (not "liking guns and that stuff"). She didn't drop you like a hot potato until finding out you were going the route of law enforcement, which can be a fairly dangerous business that's fraught with violence, depression/suicide, divorce, etc. Seems it could easily have been the career path and associated possibilities that grabbed her attention, instead of the guns per se. Still, it's far better to have someone open to discussion and what drives a person. There are plenty of folks around who will appreciate such a person as that. Far better to find out these simple difference up-front and early, rather than 5yrs into a relationship when such differences could be painful and ugly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    She might be pretty but she doesn't look like she could cook, eggs, bacon & grits or rice & gravy, potato salad & green bean or grill a steak & baked potato if you were too tired in the evening. She did you a favor and you just don't know it yet. Find a girl that loves to cook.
    That just might be a good thing. Why ruin rice by putting gravy on it?

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    Do you want a girlfriend/wife or a cook?

They are the same thing.
    I'm your Huckleberry.

It's better to fing out early,before it got serious and she started pointing out things you needed to change that she didn't like either
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've found that people who "aren't into all that stuff", like police officers, probably are engaging in some sort of behavior that the police may frown on.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post

one in the middle

the one on the left looks like a revolver/levergun/CAS type woman :)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links