Wife not sure, .32 vs .380

This is a discussion on Wife not sure, .32 vs .380 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an LCP. It is a bit jumpy in the hand for me. I can see how the 32 is more attractive from a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife not sure, .32 vs .380

Distinguished Member
    I have an LCP. It is a bit jumpy in the hand for me. I can see how the 32 is more attractive from a retention standpoint for her.

I am also reading that you can get an extended 10 round magazine for the KT 32. That sounds pretty appealing.

My vote would be the 32 with an extended magazine. After taking classes and practice, she can decide to move up in caliber.

(see, I did not say "skip the little guns and get a Glock 19" :)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    uuuhhhh....SIGP250...... Ruger didn't copy the KelTec P3AT until several years after 1998. Might want to check your facts
    Old and tired senior moment at 5 am, not a problem with facts. ... should have been 2008. 1998 seems like yesterday to me.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Old and tired senior moment at 5 am, not a problem with facts. ... should have been 2008. 1998 seems like yesterday to me.

I figured that was the case

Can always step up to the North American Guardian in 32NAA, 60 grain bullet that clocks at 1200fps. The other thought would be a revolver in 327 magnum, then you have the option of 32long, 32hr magnum and the 327 magnum all in one pistol. Myself I figure if it is gonna be a small bullet may as well be a fast bullet.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/32NAA.html
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/subpage8.html
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

If you love her, don't let her carry a .32. Even a .380 is minimal for self defense.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Sponsor
    .32 Tomcat at the ankle, PPK/S .380 iwb crossdraw @ 10-o'clock and 1911@ 4 o'clock iwb (sometimes in galco shoulder rig)
    flashlight in left rear hip, SOG auto knife in right thigh pocket
    or some combination of those items most any time.

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

Go with the LCP and neitherof you will be disappointed.

gtv
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    My wife's thoughts were since the .380 was manageable (even easier than a .38+P in her opinion, I think her smaller hands helped in this situation), it made sense to go .380. However, the .32 was almost like shooting a .22, and maybe there was something to be said for having a simple firearm that was so easy to control and fire.
    I think that since your wife says it makes sense to go .380, then that is what she should go with. I imagine the last thing a woman wants to hear is for someone to tell her "I know you think you want that one, but it is too much gun for you... take this one instead." I say let her pick her own gun, and then you do your best to help make her as comfortable and proficient with it as you can. And heck, if she does go with the Ruger, and later she feels it is a bit too much for her, she can always trade it in towards the KT (or you can keep it for your own BUG, which is what I call a win-win).
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

for my girl, the .380 had too much kick, I could tell she didn't like it at all... I think for someone like her that always carries a purse with her, a sub compact 9mm would do the trick, perhaps a MP9c or G26. or maybe a bigger .380 with a longer barrel and bit more weight to it, she doesn't needa pocket size pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    for my girl, the .380 had too much kick, I could tell she didn't like it at all... I think for someone like her that always carries a purse with her, a sub compact 9mm would do the trick, perhaps a MP9c or G26. or maybe a bigger .380 with a longer barrel and bit more weight to it, she doesn't needa pocket size pistol.
    I would advise against purse carry, but that's up to ya'll.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I would advise against purse carry, but that's up to ya'll.
    I know, because guess what purse snatchers go for... lol

I doubt she'll wanna carry it on her though, and she's not like me where she's willing to change her lifestyle to carry a pistol (I changed the way I dress so I could hide a full size P226). just saying...

cmb
    I too would recommend the 32... either way I would carry fmj because 380 hp that are small and not real fast (less than a 1000fps) don't seem to open up real reliable from what I've read and you can practice with your carry ammo. Also with the 32 you gain one round but give about 17 grains in weight, little in the way of speed "fps", and little in penetration. I think the gain in better follow up shots and lower recoil is worth it... jmo

if purse carry and you may shoot through the purse using a concealed carry purse with a special compartment I would get a concealed hammer revolver in 38 spcl... slide might not cycle on an auto...

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Of course that a .380 is better than .32...it has more stopping power! You should buy your wife a Sig Sauer P238, a Sig Sauer P232 or a Walther PPK/S. A .32 auto is small, lightweight and highly conceivable but the stopping power is extremely poor and thus inadequate for self defense. I would even consider having her test out a 9mm (Glock 26, Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF-9, HK P2000/SK, Beretta Px4 Sub-Compact or Springfield XD9c) that does not have a lot of recoil. Make sure she gets the biggest caliber that she can handle, but not a .32 pistol!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Relative Stopping Power

There are several theories of stopping power, but whatever theory one subscribes to there is no significant difference between .32 ACP and .380 ACP.

The Marshall/Sanow one shot stop street results study lists the .32 ACP Winchester Silvertip at 66%, .380 ACP Federal Hydra Shok at 71%, and the 38 Special 2" barrel 158 grain SWCHP results at 67%.

Fuller Index theory for solid point bullets rates .32 ACP at 45%, .380 ACP at 50%, .38 special 158 grain SWC at 50%.

Shot placement is far more critical than the difference between the above calibers. So, you may want to consider other selection criteria offered by several other posters.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Among some posters here, the minimum cal. for personal protection is .380. I sort of lean towards this thought too. .380 has bacame quiet available in the last 4-5 months and the $70.00 a box a year ago has droped to $15.00 - $20.00 per box. I really feel that serious consideration be given to the .380 rather than the .32.

Also, I did not read the entire thread word for word so if that been mentioned previously, excuse my ramblings.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links