reached a point.

This is a discussion on reached a point. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've reached a point in my firearm ownership that....I just don't really want the "nice" guns. Examples: My Kimber Ultra Carry II nice gun, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reached a point.

reached a point.

I've reached a point in my firearm ownership that....I just don't really want the "nice" guns.

Examples: My Kimber Ultra Carry II nice gun, but I worried 'bout a scratch, holster wear, battery life etc. I puckered everytime my wedding band made contact with it.

So I sold it and got a RIA 4.25 inch barrel GI. and a Metro Arms American Classic II...with the 850 bucks I made from the Kimber....I don't kringe about scratches, nicks, and wear. Both shoot just a nice as the Kimber.

My AR, I had a S&W M&P in '08 worried about scratches, nicks...treated it like a new born, didn't shoot it much cause I wanted to keep it nice....sold it, and got a Olympic Arms K3B...now I don't fret about keeping it clean, scratch marks, leaning it against a rock, laying it down on a dirt patch, and I shoot the heck out of it with .223, 556 and .22lr kit etc.etc.

Shotgun....was looking @ really nice shotties....just ended up with 870 Express Synthetic that I can "bang around" also, not fret over "keepin it nice".

Just don't like having it on my mind anymore. Working to keep it "nice" and "pretty" etc.etc. I maintain them to insure good working order...but don't think twice about it when crawling through brush (damn briar patches), leaving them out side for the day while playing on the range, OR setting my bipod up in muddy conditions, or shooting in the rain.

Sold my Ruger Mini 30 for a SKS and 1000rounds of ammo (which I've shot up already). Can roll around with SKS without much care or thought of Oh crap is it scratched....dinged, dirty... Or....I have to pee and just lay it on the ground or against a rock with no worries.
    you know?

2. Remove Ads

A gun that you will use is a tool, a gun you want to protect is a safe gun.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Much rather have agun I'll shoot than have one I'll Baby JMO
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

kpw
    Pretty or ugly, they get used. Finish wear, scratches and stuff just comes with it. It's that first one that gets ya. After that, no biggie.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Pretty or ugly, they get used. Finish wear, scratches and stuff just comes with it. It's that first one that gets ya. After that, no biggie.
    Exactly how I look at it. I don't baby any of mine. The Kimber gets treated the same as the Glock, S&W, etc.

I've got a couple mirrored finished blued gins that just sit in the safe. Every now and then I take them out and clean and polish them. But, if I wasn't going to hand them down to my son, I'd sell em.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

A well worn Ed Brown still looks, feels, and shoots better than a brand new Filipino gun. I don't worry about looks with my carry guns. I just want quality.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    Buy a really nice gun - Take a screwdriver & put a scratch and a few nicks on it as soon as you get it. Then you don't have to worry about it anymore.

That's why everytime we get a new car the first thing I do is slam a shopping cart into the passenger side door.

I agree with you. My scratched up, beat up, but dependable Walther PP is my carry gun. My extremely rare and beautiful Lugers are lock in a display case, in a safe, attached to an alarm system. I know how you feel.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I'm with you! I just love my holster wear on my XD.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Much rather have agun I'll shoot than have one I'll Baby JMO
    H/D
    Yep. My only safe queens are strictly for sentimental reasons. And I occasionally get them out and shoot them. The 100 yr old side by side French guild shotgun was a hit at the dove field 2 yrs ago. I wish I had a place to shoot my mod 94 30-30. I would not part with either of them, even if I never shot them again. Everything else is a tool.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Holster wear is a good thing!

I'm the same sort of person. The firearms I acquire are for use, not for putting in a display case. The few I do acquire that I find I'm not shooting enough to matter always end up being the ones I sell. Of course, some of my most-used guns have been fairly decent rigs. The most recent one is an H&K P2000, which really is just on the higher end of the utilitarian end of the spectrum. A bit more expensive, higher quality, but this one can be banged around without a care and yet keeps on tickin' each and every time. Wouldn't have it any other way, with the primary carry gun.

To each his own. It's all good.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My two Glocks and my two Kimbers get treated the same......I don't worry about the scratches, the rounds, or the holster wear.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I watched a buddy of mine use his immaculate shotgun as a drad anchor as he slid 100 feet down the side of the Snake River Canyon. Warned him not to bring it. He got over it by the end of the day (and two more slides). Let's just say it was well broken-in by the time we left.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yeah I recenly got my Glock30SF with little worry on keeping it "nice".

I just could'nt bring myself to really wear, use or nick up something I drop a grand on (Kimber).

Don't get me wrong...I love the "nicer" firearms. When I'm less finacially challenged (putting wife through college) I won't have such and issue scuffing/using my "nicer" firearms when I get them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links