Defensive Carry banner

Anyone see Judge Judy today - damages from an ND

3K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  roanokejim 
#1 · (Edited)
Quick summary, this guy is going to a party with 2 girls and his brother. He said it wasn't a safe place so he decided to take his gun, as he called a Smith & Wesson 40 S&W. (He showed a photo of it and it was a S&W Sigma) Since he didn't have a CCW he was carrying it open.

They were leaving the party and he was driving since according to him the girls were drunk and he only had a couple of beers and was fine to drive. He had removed the pistol from the holster and put it on the console. It was making the girls uncomfortable and as he went to move it or clear it (it was a murky story at this point) he pulled the trigger and shot the dashboard and windshield.

He had previously paid for the windshield but the girl was suing for the dashboard. JJ didn't rule in her favor since the girl kept saying she was uncomfortable with the guy and the gun so why did she get in the car in the first place?

Here is the case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUocgAF9HGI

#2 ·
Most people on judge judy are idiots. They sound no different. Just jerry springer in a fake courtroom

#3 ·
Sounds like the guy was drunker then he wants to admit,I would question whe he removed the gun from the holster and sat it on top of the console,Either way he had to of put his booger hook on the bang switch and pulled with enough force to discharge the gun,either way he is totally responsible for the damages,Just cause she has an opinion doesn't mean it's legally correct,that's why people appearing before her have to sign forms agreeing to abide by her decisions

#4 ·
Pretty much a mess of things. Criminal court, small claims, TV? At this point, everyone involved has missed a lot. Suing for damages? Maybe we should all make it a class action lawsuit (CCCC [concerned concealed carry citizens] vs idgets) to keep these kinds of folks from carrying or appearing on TV in a circus court, and giving us all a bad rep? Wouldn't that be something? Bet we could find an attorney to take the case. Class action lawsuit against irresponsible carriers. Where do we have to go to get it started.....and how many will show up or sign on? Judge Judy........maybe I'll take an online course from Phoenix University and become a judge myself. Then we could hold our own virtual court of law right here on the forum! All damages recovered would go to support the forum with a bonus pistol giveaway for members only twice a year. Wouldn't that be something. Okay....my mind is working overtime on this ordeal. Help me get through the online course and we'll collectively sue these idgets that seem intent on making our life as upstanding concealed carriers more difficult. I swear to uphold all of our principles and to eradicate all stupidity that might infringe on our rights and what we've obtained....and to further the cause unto others that have the same basic moral intentions.
Vote for me this November 2nd....it's a small price to pay for a whole lot more!
LOL! (think about it)

#6 ·
This is how Judge Judy works. It is entertainment, not court. Both parties are paid a certain amount to make fools out of themselves.
They both agree in advance to the rules which include to not pursue this further legally. Whoever wins gets part of the losers stipend. (not much).
There is no law involved.

#9 ·
So they were uncomfortable about him having the handgun holsterd, and they felt better with it sliding around on the dashboard? Car load of Maroons!

#11 ·
Well they were uncomfortable to begin with and him putting it on the console just escalated. He kept assuring them he was trained and knew what he was doing.

As tkruf said this idiot shouldn't be anywhere near a firearm. As he was talking I got the impression that he was just wearing it to try and impress the ladies. He certainly left an impression, thankfully it was only to their car.

ooh, it's online now. There is all sorts of wrong with their thought process and state of mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUocgAF9HGI

#10 ·
This calls for common sense gun control!!!! A holster. You can't control a handgun on the dash. :tongue:

#17 ·
So, as someone who doesn't carry (yet!) I have a question...although a little off topic.

When carrying concealed (IWB) are you able to drive a car comfortably, or does it get in the way? I know that size of the gun matters here, but I just purchased a Ruger SR9c and have been wondering this. I don't have a holster yet, so I can't even try it in my garage, just yet.

#21 ·
Though I do agree, the guy did act stupid....should've never cleared the holster.

If was a sigma....Had to really pull the trigger. I had one...had an awlfull trigger...to me atleast. I had to mash it back to get it to fire...by then my aim was corrupted.

#22 ·
JJ didn't rule in her favor since the girl kept saying she was uncomfortable with the guy and the gun so why did she get in the car in the first place?
... as if that means he didn't damage that part of the car, or that means he's absolved of it. Whether she was comfortable or not, that doesn't change the action he chose to perform and the related damage. Can't see how the concern over her concern would change that. If anything, bubba's acknowledgment of his having been liable for the windshield damage would be a strong indicator of his recognition of his responsibility for the damage to the car, including whatever other parts were holed.

BTW, what on earth is "Judge Judy"?

#26 ·
Frogbones you are right he has the right to have one. Should he, nope, some people should not even be allowed a spork.
This is one of those times everyone will be judged by the actions on one. Is it a double standard who knows, I call it common sense.

#28 ·
Interesting. I'd expect to pay for all damages myself. But then I don't watch JJ and don't understand why people want to appear on there and be used and abused by that old nag and the producers. I guess anything for that 15 minutes of fame.

#31 ·
Right there with you Frogbones You just can't fix stupid sometimes.

Chroode your right. Had to go back and read that, LOL. Isn't the point of DD not to drink at all, not just don't drink to much to drive?
As far as the drinking and being armed, some say it is ok as long as it is not to much others say no alcohol at all when carrying. I am in the none at all camp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.