Question for you diehard 1911 guys

This is a discussion on Question for you diehard 1911 guys within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I recently purchased a SW1911PD. I really like 1911s and would go as far as to say that it is my favorite model/make of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for you diehard 1911 guys

Question for you diehard 1911 guys

So I recently purchased a SW1911PD. I really like 1911s and would go as far as to say that it is my favorite model/make of gun. I currently own 3 now but intend to add more in the future. Anyways, I was talking to a guy shortly after I purchased the SW1911PD and he was going on and on about how S&W and Sig should not even be able to call their models 1911 pistols because they deviated from JM Browning's original design by making an external extractor.

Well I really didn't know what to say and for sure don't know that much about 1911 pistols to try to make an intelligent argument anyways. I was just curious if you other diehard 1911 guys felt the same way about S&W and Sig 1911s or if this guy was just one of a kind.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'm of the camp that says that as long as the internal workings follow the working design of what JMB intended it can be called a 1911. Things can be a bit modified like tolerances and spring tension, etc, and some added safeties like firing pin or different lengths of barrels and frames are okay in my book as long as the internals still FUNCTION like a 1911.

I do not think that you can call a double action gun a 1911 because it doesn't internally function like a 1911.

But that's just me.

Administrator
    Well, take a look at yet another (and later) amazingly phenomenal J.M. Browning design. The Browning Hi Power. What do you notice about it?

VIP Member
    No real opinion either way myself but if the extractor on a 1911 is not properly tuned it can cause FTF/FTE problems and an external extractor may eliminate those problems.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, take a look at yet another (and later) amazingly phenomenal J.M. Browning design. The Browning Hi Power. What do you notice about it?

External extractor?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Then there is the Millennium Extractor which is basically an internal extractor that functions like an external extractor.
    Properly installed...it works amazingly well but, it's a fairly expensive aftermarket accessory.
    It does eliminate all extraction & extractor related feed problems.
    Honestly...I think a 1911 is pretty much still a 1911 no matter if it sports an internal or external magazine.

available from Brownell's

Dang, wish I would have know this when he was telling me his nonsense
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Administrator
    Then (of course) the internal extractor as originally designed was J.M.B. specified to be machined from SPRING CARBON STEEL and then harden & tempered back so that it would maintain perfect spring tension.

All of the 1911s now do not use a SPRING STEEL internal extractor SO...are they STILL traditional 1911s since they differ from JMBs original specifications for the internal extractor?

Something to ponder on.

Also: Just FYI ~ I think it was WILSON that first put an external extractor on a 1911.

The U.S. military contract model .45 automatic as issued in World War I is THE 1911.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Interesting tidbit, JMB's original design and the refined Browning Hi-Power of Dieudonné Joseph Saive, introduced in 1935, had an internal extractor, until 1962;

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    So I recently purchased a SW1911PD. I really like 1911s and would go as far as to say that it is my favorite model/make of gun. I currently own 3 now but intend to add more in the future. Anyways, I was talking to a guy shortly after I purchased the SW1911PD and he was going on and on about how S&W and Sig should not even be able to call their models 1911 pistols because they deviated from JM Browning's original design by making an external extractor.

Well I really didn't know what to say and for sure don't know that much about 1911 pistols to try to make an intelligent argument anyways. I was just curious if you other diehard 1911 guys felt the same way about S&W and Sig 1911s or if this guy was just one of a kind.
    I would have replied, "His original design didn't have an external thumb safety either, so I guess none of the modern so called 1911s qualify."

He also didn't put skeletized hammers and triggers, beavertail safeties, stainless steel slides, and night sights on them, but that hasn't stopped anyone from calling those 1911s.

Just a couple of comebacks to ponder.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Personally, this departure is close enough, I consider it a 1911. Double Eagles, and the like, I don't think are really 1911s. The Paras, really push it, with double stack magazine wells. I don't like a lot of the gizmos common on today's 1911s, but there are also a lot of "refinements" that make it a better pistol.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I would certainly consider the S&W a 1911. If you recall, when Colt introduced their series 80 models, they were modified to include a firing pin safety which wasn't in Brownings original design, but it was still a 1911. Likewise, the current production Hi Power has an ambi safety, but it's still a Hi Power.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

There are some guys who whine and cry about ANY changes to the original 1911 design... Beavertail grip? different trigger? full length guiderod? You just committed a cardinal sin..

You are going to find purists in any walk of life. If you like the gun, if it works well for you, then who the heck cares?
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links