Packing in Vegas or Where's the TSA Desk?

This is a discussion on Packing in Vegas or Where's the TSA Desk? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well Just returned from my Vegas trip and have practically nothing to report. I have decided that the town is ok to visit but probably ...

Thread: Packing in Vegas or Where's the TSA Desk?

Packing in Vegas or Where's the TSA Desk?

Well Just returned from my Vegas trip and have practically nothing to report. I have decided that the town is ok to visit but probably won't go back, Not a gambler and it's just a bit over the top for my taste. Anyway, So I packed everywhere I went, Except on my Hoover Dam Tour. Wife asked several times if I had armed when we would be in places that seemed a bit dodgy for her taste and we never technically left the strip.

Tulsa:
    As for the airport, We left from Tulsa, Go to the airport, Check in at American desk. The gal behind the desk directs me to the self check in thingy. I mentioned to her that I needed to check in with her personally. She nodded her head and left it at that, The other gal that was keeping things moving came over and asked if I was first class or had a special need. I told her I had to check in a firearm. She asked if I was a Police officer. I told her no, I had it in the checked bag. She said "Oh" and that she would get my card to fill out but I could still do the self check in thingy. So I got done with the check in thing filled out the card the gal working behind the desk wanted me to open the case and look over the firearm to insure it was unloaded. ( she didn't pick it up or anything) Had me put the card inside, lock everything back up, and away it went. They did have me sit in a seating area next to the check in desk for a few minutes and then sent me up to the gates. I assume in-case TSA needed to get into my bag they could find me.

Vegas:
    On the return trip, Showed up at the airport, went to the self check thingy on my own, walked up to the desk and told the gal I needed to declare a firearm, The gal gave me the card, Had me fill it out and put it on the outside of the pistol case, re-lock the suitcase and it was gone.

Got on the plane and then had to sit and wait due to high winds etc. ended up leaving 1 1/2 hours late, so we missed our connecting flight and I couldn't remember that there was a later one. As it happening the last flight back to Tulsa was leaving in like 5 minutes after we got off the plane, So the wife and I do the OJ Simpson through DFW. Fortunately, at 12:30 AM there aren't a lot of folks milling around the airport. I was concerned that the bag wouldn't make the exchange. I had told the wife about the fact, That I haven't read a single report of lost luggage with a firearm in it. The wife was fairly certain it would be the first bag off the plane, like it was in Vegas, and it probable had like the Scarlet letter on it to make sure it didn't get lost. Well she started to loose her confidence until the bag finally showed up. About the 30-40th bag off the plane.

All in all not a bad trip. It was the first one I have personally done with a firearm. All went well and nobody seemed to blink about the firearm, And I never saw a TSA table to take my bag too and have it inspected. Both Tulsa and Vegas had one stop cavity search area's set up, so I suspect, that maybe they have done away them. I remember, Tulsa use to have them a few years back. The only other thing to report was if you don't need a belt to hold your pants up, then leave it in the checked bags. They had us remove our shoe's and belt's before we went through the metal detectors. The cell phone, well, it busted me both times.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

2. Remove Ads

TSA was checking your bag when they told you to sit and wait for clearance. seems like sometimes they look inside and sometimes they don't.

go figure

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    TSA was checking your bag when they told you to sit and wait for clearance. seems like sometimes they look inside and sometimes they don't.

go figure
    Don't know that they were checking it beyond running it through an xray machine. The counter lady said to" wait over there until it clears." Only waited a couple of minutes and they didn't come out and get my keys so they didn't open it up. I wasn't using TSA approved lockes.

I have been asked to wait while TSA runs it through the x-ray. Its just so they don't have to call and wait for you if there is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    Don't know that they were checking it beyond running it through an xray machine. The counter lady said to" wait over there until it clears." Only waited a couple of minutes and they didn't come out and get my keys so they didn't open it up. I wasn't using TSA approved lockes.
    As I said, sometimes they only xray and sometimes they ask for your key. I fly out of Dulles outside DC and it's about 50-50

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So you didn't take it to the TSA desk on the return trip? Oops...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So you didn't take it to the TSA desk on the return trip? Oops...
    Wasn't one to take it too. The Counter agent had me sign the declaration lock the suit case, She tagged it and put it on the conveyor belt and it went away to who knows where.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    II live in Vegas, and take my guns on trips with me, since between my Nevada, Florida, and Utah permits, I can carry just about anywhere I travel. And I fly out of McCarren every time. There is no TSA desk at McCarren. You just declare the firearms at the airline counter when you check in, fill out the card, and that's it. They probably run the bags through the xray, but that's it.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    As it happening the last flight back to Tulsa was leaving in like 5 minutes after we got off the plane, So the wife and I do the OJ Simpson through DFW.
    You ran through the airport cutting throats and robbing people????? Yikes!

Rotflmao

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post

go figure
    I think they want to look at you. If you are wearing a turban, they will open it.

good. all this political correctness bravo sierra needs to stop. lives are at stake.

Links