Shipping a Handgun

This is a discussion on Shipping a Handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As some of you may be aware from my post several weeks back, I've been having issues with my M&P9c dropping mags with the recoil. ...

Thread: Shipping a Handgun

Shipping a Handgun

As some of you may be aware from my post several weeks back, I've been having issues with my M&P9c dropping mags with the recoil. Long story short, I called S&W and they sent me a prepaid shipping label and are going to fix it and ship it back to me all at no charge to me.

Anyways, I finally got the gun packed up and ready to ship yesterday so I called FedEx for a pickup. Of course I had the gun unloaded and the package contained no ammunition. The guy shows up and rings the bell, I hand him the package and tell him there is an unloaded firearm inside (I told him this because the letter from S&W said to do so). He says Ok, but is noticeably nervous after I tell him this.

I then asked him for a receipt for the pickup, as S&W advised to get a receipt for the shipment. The truck driver informed me they don't give receipts for pickups. This makes sense, but being that I'm shipping a gun and never had before, I was a little paranoid. So, I wait at the door to see what the guy does with the gun. It goes as follows:

He walks about 10ft down my driveway, turns back and asks, "you said this is unloaded, right?" I assure him that it is. He continues on to his truck, handling the package like it contains a bomb. He gets to the truck door, scans the package, puts it in his truck, and off he goes.

To err on the side of caution, I call FedEx to verify that receipts are not given for pickups and come to find out that my pickup number and date of pickup (given to me over the phone when I scheduled the pickup) serve as my receipt. So, I guess I will hope for the best. It is insured, so that should be sufficient piece of mind.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I thought the drivers behavior was a little comical and also was hoping to hear a lack of "shipping firearms" horror stories from those of you who have shipped before.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Don't worry, there is a record of the pick up and the gun is insured. It will also travel overnight so S&W will have it the following day.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I just shipped my LCP back to Ruger for repairs, I went to the local UPS store and dropped it off without a problem. The lady didn't ask what was in the box, and I didn't tell her. I did ask for a receipt and they gladly gave one to me. The less they know the better. My buddy recently sent a gun back to I think it was SIG, and the UPS store put a big sticker on it saying unloaded fire arm, it should have read "STEAL ME".

IIRC UPS and FED X require you to declare the firearm. If it's lost I don't think they are responsibe since you didn't declare it.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I just shipped my LCP back to Ruger for repairs, I went to the local UPS store and dropped it off without a problem. The lady didn't ask what was in the box, and I didn't tell her. I did ask for a receipt and they gladly gave one to me. The less they know the better. My buddy recently sent a gun back to I think it was SIG, and the UPS store put a big sticker on it saying unloaded fire arm, it should have read "STEAL ME".
    By not declaring it a firearm you broke federal law per the BATF web site. There are to be no external stickers placed on the package either.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...-firearms-usps

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    By not declaring it a firearm you broke federal law per the BATF web site. There are to be no external stickers placed on the package either.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

So, if I live in Charlotte and sell you, say a LCP, and I have no FFL, nor do you, I can still sell and ship the LCP to you via common carrier without going through two FFL holders?

Sorry, I am ignorant on this.

Regards,
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    So, if I live in Charlotte and sell you, say a LCP, and I have no FFL, nor do you, I can still sell and ship the LCP to you via common carrier without going through two FFL holders?

Sorry, I am ignorant on this.

Regards,
    No problem, remember, this is just the federal law, you still have to obey NC state laws on the transfers of firearms too. For pistols you need to have a pistol purchase permit from your sheriff in order to buy one even from a private individual. You are also required to check to the best of your ability to insure the purchaser of a firearm you are selling is legal to receive a firearm so I'd be leery of selling to someone I didn't know real well via shipping. Face to face is the best. If not an FFL is cheap insurance that you are good in all respects.

Just curious, are you in NC or KY? I have no idea of what KY laws may add to the federal ones on firearms.

Thanks for the reassurance, guys.

For those who have shipped to S&W before, did they call you to let you know that the gun was back in the mail after they completed the work?

Links