Mag disconnect safety

Mag disconnect safety

This is a discussion on Mag disconnect safety within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I remember when I had my M&P it had a mag disconnect safety, drop the mag and the gun wont fire. Does anyone know if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag disconnect safety

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Mag disconnect safety

I remember when I had my M&P it had a mag disconnect safety, drop the mag and the gun wont fire. Does anyone know if the Kimber 1911's have feature? I see nothing mentioned about it in the book.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

JD
    Administrator
    No, they do not.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Just checking, thanks.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Well, you've got your answer about the Kimber, but my G30 has no disconnect, my 4566 does. Personally, it doesn't bother me either way. I shove a mag in and keep on shooting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Doesn't matter to me either. I have never dropped a magazine before, and the way I grab a pistol, I don't think it's possible... that being said it makes no diff to me either way.

Senior Moderator
    I cant stand em.
    I refuse to own a gun that will not fire with the magazine removed.

Whoever thought that up needs a beatin.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I cant stand em.
    I refuse to own a gun that will not fire with the magazine removed.

Whoever thought that up needs a beatin.
    yeah, I think it's a stupid idea that has no purpose... I think it's just another thing to show the irresponsible people about 'my gun is safer because it won't shoot without a magazine' i'm sure in places like CA and MA it's required to be on a pistol lol

I heard one excuse for it. It was for LE in an attempted gun grab, that if they could drop the mag, then the gun could not be fired at them. An idea from someone with too much time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I heard one excuse for it. It was for LE in an attempted gun grab, that if they could drop the mag, then the gun could not be fired at them. An idea from someone with too much time on their hands.
    That sounds somewhat believable I guess, although I'm not sure what would be easier, trying to press the button during that situation, or just try to get it off the guy's hand lol

That's what a BUG is for.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I remember when I had my M&P it had a mag disconnect safety, drop the mag and the gun wont fire. Does anyone know if the Kimber 1911's have feature? I see nothing mentioned about it in the book.
    Actually they're available both ways. I had a M&P 40c that had neither the magazine disconnect or key lock.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Traditionaly the Hi Power has a magazine disconnect safety that was designed at the request of the French handgun trials. The French determined that they wanted a magazine disconnect to keep young French Lt's from shooting themselves in the foot to keep them from not being able to run away from the fight.

I like the magazine disconnect for a couple of reasons. The first is as an added possible solution to a gun grab. The second, as a way to make a gun inoperable in certain environments, like jails and prisons. It is not the be all, end all for every situation, just one more tool to consider. I have a friend that likes to take his magazine out of his gun when he is at home, due to young children being in the house. I may or may not agree with how he does things, but that's for him to decide. With the magazine disconnect he can leave a round chambered and know that if all systems are functioning his gun is inoperable to small curious fingers.

Traditionaly the 1911 does not have a magazine disconnect, the Hi Power does. The third generation S&W handguns have them, and the newer M&P's can be had with or without.

Biker

What really bothers me is when they have to print it on the gun. Or when they print anything on the gun that is not the maker, model and serial number. Some dummy drops the mag on a gun and assumes it is empty, then the lawyers get ahold of it and some make them work one way, some the other, and some print it on the firearm. You know what's coming, it will have to be wrote in Spanish also.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Actually they're available both ways. I had a M&P 40c that had neither the magazine disconnect or key lock.
    I know, my duty MP9 has it, and my MP9c doesn't. I hate the lettering on the side of my MP9c cuz of it, but oh well. I really don't care either way. it's a fast dumbproof way to disable a pistol should u need to.

and I don't buy the 'it sucks if you drop your magazine, and now your gun is unusable with that 1 round in there' how about you train more/better so you don't keep accidently hit the mag release button? I've never dropped a mag before and I always make sure it's fully seated and make sure it's actually there lol

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I know, my duty MP9 has it, and my MP9c doesn't. I hate the lettering on the side of my MP9c cuz of it, but oh well. I really don't care either way. it's a fast dumbproof way to disable a pistol should u need to.

and I don't buy the 'it sucks if you drop your magazine, and now your gun is unusable with that 1 round in there' how about you train more/better so you don't keep accidently hit the mag release button? I've never dropped a mag before and I always make sure it's fully seated and make sure it's actually there lol
    My Dad worked with an officer that got stabbed partly because of the magazine disconnect.

This almost sounds like something out of a movie but here it is:

Officer's wife has hired someone to kill her husband, the "killer" knows the officers work area and gets stopped by his target, he rushes the officer with a knife, officer draws his gun but at sometime during his shift something hit the mag release and when he draws his mag hits the floor and he can't shoot. He ended up getting knifed, but lived, I don't recall the rest of the story but they got the wife and the dude she hired.

Stuff happens, sure in a perfect world we'd all check the magazine every time we got out of the care etc. but there's always that one time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links