Thinking of a getting PT1911 or MP45

This is a discussion on Thinking of a getting PT1911 or MP45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a PT 1911. It did have some problems where the thing would lock up and the trigger could not be pulled. We traced ...

View Poll Results: PT1911SS or MP45

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taurus PT1911 Stainless Steel

10 24.39%
  • Smith Wesson M&P 45

31 75.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a getting PT1911 or MP45

I have a PT 1911. It did have some problems where the thing would lock up and the trigger could not be pulled. We traced the problem to the Taurus hammer with the safety locking screw. Replacing the Taurus hammer and sear with a Wilson combat hammer and sear seems to have eliminated the problem, at least through several hundred rounds since the replacement. Another 1911 which deserves serious consideration is The RIA. My son has a RIA compact and it has the best trigger of any gun I've ever fired, and that includes a couple of match grade Colts.

2. Remove Ads

I have a pt1911SS that I absolutely love. Just about 1000 rounds mixed of jhp and fmj with not one failure. The newer ones seem to have the bugs worked out. One that I handled in a shop had the thumb safety problem where if you'd grip it tight it would flip the safety on, but that was an older heine sighted model. The others with the current novak 3 dots didn't have that problem nor does the one I have.

I really love the gun and am glad I bought it.

I recently bought an mp9c for my wife and love the whole mp series, but since you already have some of those and have always wanted a 1911 anyway, my vote was to go with the Taurus.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Taurus = NO, ish.
    S&W = YES

My M&P45c is my nightstand gun. I put an Insight X2L on it because CT doesn't make a grip for the compact version the last I checked and i wanted a light too. I actually shot this gun the best I ever have today without using the laser...I got about a 6 in. group at 25 ft and 40 ft. 16 shots in each group.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Let me get this out of the way first. I'm a:

Having said that, I love 1911's and I've also heard good things about the Taurus PT1911. But I also own an M&P 45 Compact. The Compact has been 100% perfect right out of the box with about 600 rounds fired so far.

Ergonomically, nothing touches a 1911 in my opinion. The trigger, the balance, the point of aim, the accuracy, the overall feel. But....the polymer pistols are known for being more reliable than 1911's in general. It's hard to go wrong with a Glock, XD, or M&P.

The only thing I would add is that Taurus generally has a poor reputation for quality control. If your PT1911 were to have a problem, well, good luck.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

My PT1911 is my most used EDC. Easy to conceal, reliable and accurate.
    No issues. I trust it.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

You cannot compare the quality of the two, our PT 1911 was a total disaster, broke (ambi safety fell off) in the first 20 rounds, sent it back to the factory, 7 weeks later it came back, still broke all they did was reinsert the safety and it fell out while inspecting it, sent it back 7 weeks later they sent it back, scratched, and still not fixed, sent it back, 8 weeks later they sent it back, more scratches ambi safety fixed but and now it shoots real sloppy, sent it back, 8 weeks later they sent it back unfixed, sent it back, 7 weeks later it came back fixed scratches n all this time... now do the math and tell me how many weeks they had it and we did not despite phone calls, letters, and trying the contact the CEO...... buy the S&W
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Sorry man, Taurus is NOT a 1911. It looks like it but.....

1911's are the gun that snobbery is allowed on. Im not saying that someones RIA is a POS BUT usually, you get what you pay for. Try to run a cheap 1911 through a 1k round defensive class and see what happens.

You are already trained/competent with the MP go with it.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zdinnd View Post

1911's are the gun that snobbery is allowed on. Im not saying that someones RIA is a POS BUT usually, you get what you pay for. Try to run a cheap 1911 through a 1k round defensive class and see what happens.

interesting statement after someone already stated they ran one through a multiple day training class and without cleaning to see how it would hold up...great forethought...

i owned a pt1911 and it was a fantastic gun...flawless out of the box and ran anything you loaded...2 taurus mags and 3 mec gars never experienced a failure...

that being said i am a bigger fan of plastic for carry...but if youre looking for a 1911 style gun you wont go wrong with the taurus...

regarding the rail comments..the gun is available without a rail...the gun is more balanced without it and you really need to decide if you plan to mount a light or other accessory on it if youre thinking about a rail...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    It sounds like you already have decided that you want the Taurus, then why asking a lot of questions? Just get it and be happy.

If I wanted a good and low priced 1911 I should get a Springfield GI or a RIA.

^^^YeP^^^^^^

Or one of these: http://www.gunblast.com/Firestorm-1911Deluxe.htm
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by zdinnd View Post

I guess that I don't count, because I only ran my PT1911 through an 800 round course

I'm pushing 2,000 rounds without a malfunction with mine.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I guess that I don't count, because I only ran my PT1911 through an 800 round course

I'm pushing 2,000 rounds without a malfunction with mine.
    Honestly it seems like "lower end" 1911's (with the exception of springfields) tend to be more trouble free out of the box.

@OP - I have no experience with Taurus 1911's but I have owned a PT145 and a PT709 both of which required multiple trips back to Taurus. Once a brand has failed me twice I right it off. It doesn't matter if it's guns or cars or toasters.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm a huge 1911 fan, and have or have had most brands, including a Taurus. Worst gun I ever owned. Fit was terrible, finish almost fell off, and it wouldn't feed a whole box of ammo. Much as I hate to say it, of your two choices I'd have to recommend the MP45. If I could give you another option, I'd shop for a used Colt for the same price.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I own two of the PT1911's. I like 'em both.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Honestly it seems like "lower end" 1911's (with the exception of springfields) tend to be more trouble free out of the box.

@OP - I have no experience with Taurus 1911's but I have owned a PT145 and a PT709 both of which required multiple trips back to Taurus. Once a brand has failed me twice I right it off. It doesn't matter if it's guns or cars or toasters.
    I will concede that Taurus products are a hit or a miss. I think that I hit on a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'm a huge 1911 fan, and have or have had most brands, including a Taurus. Worst gun I ever owned. Fit was terrible, finish almost fell off, and it wouldn't feed a whole box of ammo. Much as I hate to say it, of your two choices I'd have to recommend the MP45. If I could give you another option, I'd shop for a used Colt for the same price.
    Mine feeds ammo well enough, HP or FMJ. The finish is wearing rather thin, though. The finish isn't that great, but all of the parts fit together well.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links