Thinking of a getting PT1911 or MP45

This is a discussion on Thinking of a getting PT1911 or MP45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by zacii I will concede that Taurus products are a hit or a miss. I think that I hit on a good one. ...

View Poll Results: PT1911SS or MP45

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taurus PT1911 Stainless Steel

10 24.39%
  • Smith Wesson M&P 45

31 75.61%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of a getting PT1911 or MP45

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I will concede that Taurus products are a hit or a miss. I think that I hit on a good one.
    I think that's a fair and accurate statement. They aren't all bad and they aren't all good. The sad thing though is that I think Taurus could claim a much larger percentage of the market if they would just get there quality control up to snuff. They have some great designs like the PT145 and the PT709 but to many people don't trust them (some with good reason) because of the track record. They should charge a bit more (not a LOT more, maybe 5-7 percent more) and use that extra $ to sure up their QC. They would still be value priced and the increase in their QC would garner them more market share.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zbock View Post
    A great 1911 will never be as reliable as a glock or M&P
    Spoken like someone who's never owned a good 1911.

I've never owned a 1911 that wasn't reliable off-the-shelf. That includes the $300 RIA GI.

I don't buy in to the myth that tupperware is automatically more reliable. Any well-built gun is going to run right. Period.

That said, though I would take the Taurus over the M&P (give me SA any day), I would still prefer an RIA to either.

The RIA Tactical will have all the same goodies at the PT1911, but for $100 less and with one of the best lifetime warranties in the business. The only thing you'd lose is the fake gold, chrome, and gawd-awful plasti-pearl grips Taurus puts on so many models. The only disadvantage is the lack of a rail. But my nightstand 1911 has an add-on rail that works just fine.

p.s. oneshot, I've gotta get my hands on one of those American Classics someday. I've heard great things.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links