Thinking of a getting PT1911 or MP45

This is a discussion on Thinking of a getting PT1911 or MP45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been thinking about adding a .45 to my family of firearms. I think everyone should have 1 .45... it does have a serious punch ...

View Poll Results: PT1911SS or MP45

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taurus PT1911 Stainless Steel

10 24.39%
  • Smith Wesson M&P 45

31 75.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I've been thinking about adding a .45 to my family of firearms. I think everyone should have 1 .45... it does have a serious punch me thinks. Even though I think my 9 is enough, I still want a .45 LOL

anyways

I came down to 2 options. help me decide

I've always wanted a 1911. I think they are sexy looking sleek pistols. After some research, I'm going to settle on the Taurus model. I heard some good things, and some bad. I'm willing to try them. Nutnfancy's review is extensive, and he seems to really like it, so I think it's worth a try. This gun will not be for carry use at all, and will be a nightstand pistol. I'm planning on putting CT grips and my spare TLR-1 on it. Since I won't be carrying it, I'm going to spend the extra money and get the SS version. I don't mind the extra weight, and as a matter of fact, I see that welcoming for a pistol that will just sit there. I'm sure it'll help alot with the recoil. plus all SS look is kinda sexy

Next choice is the MP45. My EDC is a MP9c, my duty pistol is a MP9, and I'm a lefty so I love the lefty mag release and the slide release. It's pretty much the only pistol that offers this advantage. I'm accurate with them, and the 3 MPs that I own, has not jammed once on me. My duty MP9 has over 1000 through it without a single jam. excellent relialbility. So I wouldn't mind going for a MP45. I think it would make a great pistol. However 45 has a nice kick to it, and owning a USP 45 back in the day, I wasn't too accurate with it, because I think I needed a bit more heavier platform for the .45. I would still put on CT grips on it, and also the TLR-1 light on this as well. This would actually (I think) fit in my CCW holster and my duty holster as well if I decide to carry a .45 with me for whatever reason...

I can get both pistols with LEO/MIL discount which brings them down in cost a good amount. I can get the MP45 for 471, and the PT1911 for about 600 I guess. bit of a price diff too...

What do you guys think about my situation?

Do I get the Taurus 1911 which is a good 1st 1911 that has most of the bells and whistles (the lefty safety is a winner for me as well since it comes like that). and the fact that I've been wanting a 1911 for a while. It does also have .5 more barrel which can help with the velocity of the round
    or
    Do I get the MP45 that I'm alraedy comftrable with since it's my pistol of choice (with diff caliber) and much cheaper with more capacity? (only like 1 2 more rounds, but hey, every round counts right?)

Help me decide!!!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'll get in before the bashing starts. I had a PT1911 and thought it a great gun. I only got rid of it because I decieded to get out of .45.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I voted M&P over Taurus. I almost bought a M&P 40 a while back but finances dried up for another toy.

I'm not crazy about the M&P trigger but could easily live with it. It's different from my Glock, but just that--different.

I love the .45 ACP round. I don't see that much difference in the larger caliber recoilwise. I carry a G30 and have no complaints except that the 10+ rounds tend to get heavier as the day goes on, but that's not Glock's fault--they don't make the ammo. For home duty, I insert a Glock 21 mag with a sleeve for an extra 3 rounds. The Glock Mil/LEO discount might be a few dollars less than S&W, but if you don't want a Glock, the price is irrelevant.

The M&P is a good gun--S&W support and guarentee--not too sure about Taurus. Since you're already familiar with the M&P 9, I'd think that would make moving up to its bigger brother simple.

Oh, you don't want your SD handgun to look "sexy," you want it to look scary.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

GM
    I am a 1911 lover, my primary carry weapons are 1911 and BHP, and I am not a M&P fan, but in this case I should definitely get the M&P45.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Yeah, the Glock discount for 9/40 was 379 or 397 I think. I'm just not a fan of glocks though.... Only way I'd carry it if it was my only choice by the dept i work for. Great guns, I just prefer MP series instead. Like I said, the lefty friendly controls makes it a win for me over a glock. Plus I just prefer the look, feel, grip angle and all that good stuff over the glock.

anyways, but yes, still between MP and 1911. I'm not really willing to try another brand besides the two... lol

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Oh, you don't want your SD handgun to look "sexy," you want it to look scary.

I think any gun aimed at a bad guy would look scary lol. Even the pink tauruses :D

I can't really vote between the two. I'm not a fan of the M&P ergos, but that's just me.

I do have a PT1911, and I carry it often. It's been a flawless pistol; almost 2000 rounds without any malfunctions. It's real accurate, too. I can put every bullet in the same hole at 7 yards. I took it to a 4 day course at Front Sight, and deliberately didn't clean it, in an effort to see how it would perform. Well, it exceeded my expectations. Because I've practice with it more than any of my others; it's my go to gun for HD.

My only complaint is the rail. I have the railed version, and that makes it very hard to find a holster for it. When I had a holster made, it was still rather new to the market. The issue is that the rail is wider than the gun behind it; so when a holster is boned for the rail, it creates a difficulty, because the rail has to pass through the narrow part of the holster made for the trigger guard, etc. It makes for quite a frustrating experience.

If your not going to carry it, then the lack of holster selection shouldn't bother you.

I believe that both pistols are well made; you just need to decide which is going to serve your specific usage.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I believe that both pistols are well made; you just need to decide which is going to serve your specific usage.

The only purpose will be to shoot a bad guy with it, and to own a good accurate/reliable pistol. I think both serve the purpose, except the PT1911 will feed my 1911 hunger...

I also don't think the holster will be an issue. Altough I have heard the rail is pretty horrible on it, but this pistol will have a light on it, so I kinda need a rail, which will be used anyways

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    The only purpose will be to shoot a bad guy with it, and to own a good accurate/reliable pistol. I think both serve the purpose, except the PT1911 will feed my 1911 hunger...

I also don't think the holster will be an issue. Altough I have heard the rail is pretty horrible on it, but this pistol will have a light on it, so I kinda need a rail, which will be used anyways
    It sounds like you already have decided that you want the Taurus, then why asking a lot of questions? Just get it and be happy.

If I wanted a good and low priced 1911 I should get a Springfield GI or a RIA.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    It sounds like you already have decided that you want the Taurus, then why asking a lot of questions? Just get it and be happy.

If I wanted a good and low priced 1911 I should get a Springfield GI or a RIA.
    I'm asking because I also just don't see spending 200 dollars extra for a pistol that's going to just sit on my nightstand.

if both serve the purpose of shooting a BG dead, the MP45 should do, it's just those 1911s look so good... lol

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I'm asking because I also just don't see spending 200 dollars extra for a pistol that's going to just sit on my nightstand.

if both serve the purpose of shooting a BG dead, the MP45 should do, it's just those 1911s look so good... lol
    After reading your posts it is obvious that you like the Taurus. You also say that you do not justify spending 200 dollars extra on the M&P. IMO it should not be a difficult decision to make.

I also have the M&P 9c for EDC. Felt the same way about needing a 45, so I just ordered a M&P 45c. However, some day in the future, I hope to add a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    After reading your posts it is obvious that you like the Taurus. You also say that you do not justify spending 200 dollars extra on the M&P. IMO it should not be a difficult decision to make.
    i meant 200 extra for the 1911, not the MP45c. 470 vs 600. ok, more like 150 diff lol... I guess I'll decide by end of this month, still would like to see some personal opinions though. I gues GM is right, I already know I want the 1911, I actually want both. That's the problem. my budget allows only one lol

If you're carrying this gun, M&P all the way for the following reasons:

1.) Hand's down it will be more reliable - you'll have less fte,ftf, ettc.
    2.) You won't have to train to deal with safeties
    3.) In the event of panic or some other reason, you won't have to worry about not firing the gun if you can't disengage the safety, or if you can't get a good grip on the pistol.

Two and three can be dealt with easily with training, but I like to keep it simple. I'd love to own a 1911 myself, but I could never justify carrying. A great 1911 will never be as reliable as a glock or M&P (and a pt1911 is not a great 1911 by any means, good but not great).

If it's just a range gun, get whatever.

I have the Taurus PT1911 SS. bought it about 3 months ago new for $600. I love it. I've shot probably 500 rounds through it without a single problem. I cant think of anything I would change about it. it shoots great, mine has the standard 3 dot sights instead of the Heine figure 8's
    that are mentioned in some reviews.

My first 1911 was a Taurus. I had one of the best "triggers" I've ever had, but I couldn't keep the thumb safety on and it was very particular about magazines, so I got rid of it ( Taurus' CS leaves a little to be desired). I do have a M&P45 (full size and compact - with the Apex sears) and both of them are very good guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links