Something doesn't ring true about this LEO v lawyer shooting

This is a discussion on Something doesn't ring true about this LEO v lawyer shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.ktbs.com/news/25354636/detail.html He was a staunch defender of the Constitution's Second Amendment. Yeah, had to get that in the story. No bias though. Right. Retired attorney ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something doesn't ring true about this LEO v lawyer shooting

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.ktbs.com/news/25354636/detail.html

He was a staunch defender of the Constitution's Second Amendment.
    Yeah, had to get that in the story. No bias though. Right.

Retired attorney willing to die over a few feet of land in a property dispute. Supposedly drew both of his revolvers (dual holster a la cowboy style) and aimed at LEOs. The only Deputy there fired his rifle into the attorney, the other LEOs were Game & Fish even though there were no game or fish warrants to be served.

Just seems odd to me.

Apparently the attorney was quite a character, sporting his double rig, cowboy hat and bolero everywhere he went. He had an old railroad map that was in conflict with the official survey by a sliver of a few meters on a large property.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Pulling your weapons and threatening the lives of law enforcement officers who are only enforcing policies created by elected officials is not a respectable way to fight a battle. They are people with families as well. I have no sympathy for him.

Sounds like he may have been a little eccentric. The neighbors he was disputing with apparently figured since he carries guns, could file charges against him (true or not) and cause him some trouble. Sounds like he would have been better served by conceal carrying. If he pointed guns at officers, that was a no no.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

It depends on what actually happened. If it is as portrayed, then it is sad, but also foolish. You point a gun at the cops, you are very likely to get shot. A lawyer should be well aware of that fact. You point a gun at me, you will probably get shot, not much difference there.

As to DFG officers there, when spread thin, multiagency cooperation and backup is not uncommon, often with multiple radios or multiagancy frequencies in units.

IF he pointed his revolvers at LEOs... hell, if he even drew them in the presence of LEOs and LOOKED like he was going to point them at the LEOs then he deserved what he got. Hell, if this story is factual then I'm guessing there was probably basis for the charges being brought against him. If he is willing to draw on a group of LEOs I find it doubtful he would restrain himself from drawing on unarmed "trespassers".
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Pointing guns at police is rarely a good idea.....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Here in FL, Fish & Game officers regularly serve as law enforcement officers. They are like any other LEO--only less forgiving!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Pulling your weapons and threatening the lives of law enforcement officers who are only enforcing policies created by elected officials is not a respectable way to fight a battle. They are people with families as well. I have no sympathy for him.
    You mean "allegedly"....right??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Yeah if this is true the guy got what was coming to him. Seems a little implausible though, but I'm sure this article is all we'll ever know of the incident.

VIP Member
    I roughly live in that part of the state, I don't know any details or anyone involved. I agree that something doesn't seem right here, however I don't know what actually happened or any details other than the newspaper article..........and I don't trust newspapers very much.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

On the bright side? Lawyer, shot, nobody is in jail...We need to learn this technique! <g> (I'm kidding, I'm kidding)
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Here in FL, Fish & Game officers regularly serve as law enforcement officers. They are like any other LEO--only less forgiving!
    In WV our conservation officers are also LEO and have full LEO authority. It is a little known fact that in criminal code...they actually have more enforcement power than State Troopers. They regularly "back up" "regular" LEO if needed and in the area available.

The man pointed a gun at cops, and got shot...Render unto Caesar.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Wait, I don't understand the problem here; Shakespeare said "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." (Henry VI) Sounds like a plan to me...

I dont know. I suspect we're missing a lot of information/back story. I can certainly understand his frustration as I've seen such a process personally many years ago, although it never came down to guns being drawn. Eventually my grandfather just gave up because he couldn't afford to fight the state any more(court costs are prohibitive when you're fighting the government who can just tax the crap out of you next year to help in their court fight against you).

Basically our issue was that the state kept re-surveying every few years and each time they redrew the lines a few yards into his property. Our argument was that they were doing it on purpose so they could add another building to the school they had on the ajoining property. Couldn't prove it though and the court repeatedly rejected all my grandfathers original maps(we figured the judges didn't want to tick off the local council)
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Wait, I don't understand the problem here; Shakespeare said "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." (Henry VI) Sounds like a plan to me...
    It's a start!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links