legalities of shipping a rifle across state lines

This is a discussion on legalities of shipping a rifle across state lines within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd like to ship one of my dad's old deer rifles to my brother in Utah. Does it need to go thru a FFL, shipped ...

Thread: legalities of shipping a rifle across state lines

I'd like to ship one of my dad's old deer rifles to my brother in Utah.
    Does it need to go thru a FFL, shipped a special way, etc??
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Senior Moderator
    An FFL needs to ship it to another FFL and it usually needs to go "overnight" depending on the carrier.

What you'll need to do is find an FFL on your end that can ship it to an FFL near your Brother that is willing to do the transfer.

Bring the gun to your FFL and give him the address. He can usually find an FFL close to your brother. They will send each others FFL by email to each other,verify that they are legit and then send it. The FFL that does the transfer for your brother will have to sign for the package,notify your brother and then he can pick it up. Most charge a small fee for their time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    No special shipping required like there is for handguns, you can ship a longgun thru the USPS to an FFL (it can be less hassle to go through an FFL though), it does not have to be sent by an FFL, you do need to send a legible copy of your drivers licence with the gun so your brother's FFL can log it into his book.

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rearms-carrier
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Might be easier for each of you to drive to Flag and make the transfer there, absent FFLs and shipping charges - and still be within the law.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'd make the drive to deliver the rifle, if possible. No FFL, no shipping charges, no paper records??????
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd make the drive to deliver the rifle, if possible. No FFL, no shipping charges, no paper records??????

I agree with this
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    It depends on whether you are "giving" it to him or letting him "borrow" it. If you are a legal resident of Arizona and he a legal resident of Utah, then yes, he is legally required to go thru an FFL in either state if wants to become the actual "owner". If he is just borrowing it for lawful purpose, then no, you do not - it's still your gun and there is no transfer of ownership. Fed law does not stipulate how long someone can borrow it either. As far as shipping goes. a non-licensee cannot ship a firearm to another non-licensee in another state without written declaration that the container contains a firearm. If you are shipping to a licensed person across state lines, you are not legally required to make this declaration - even though shippers all say you have to. The reason they do is that it is illegal for them to knowingly deliver a firearm without obtaining a signature. It is perfectly legal to ship across state lines for the purposes of "borrowing", but not for transfer of ownership. However, the shippers won't do it. All of this is in 18 USC. Best bet is to drive it there and let you brother borrow it indefinitely, but remember that he cannot sell or trade it as he is not the actual owner.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Sponsored Links