Best all-around gun

Best all-around gun

This is a discussion on Best all-around gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My favorite handguns which are the most fun and useful have always been revolvers. My reasoning is that as a shooter, I have to be ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best all-around gun

Best all-around gun

My favorite handguns which are the most fun and useful have always been revolvers. My reasoning is that as a shooter, I have to be a reloader to be able to afford my shooting, and revolvers make this easy. Another is the versatility in the power they offer, simplicity in operation, and to me are more visually appealing.

Personally I think the model 10 and 19 represent to of my favorites here for there versatility, accuracy, effective caliber and smooth actions. They are natural pointers and easy to carry.

The 44 special is probably my favorite in the big bore, as it can be many things depending on personal needs.

What are your favorite handgun and caliber combination, that you feel is the most useful and versatile? Or that you just like above all others because it just grabs you in a way that only us gunners could understand?

Having come up as a revolver man they have an appeal to me. On top would be the Mod 27, 3-1/2". It feels like you have your hand around something substantial, points natural and will handle any level of load I put in it without inordinate recoil or jump. Even with its short barrel it is not difficult to make someone very uncomfortable a 200yds.

In what would seem a contrast I am also happy with the 92FS. I look at is as kind of a hi cap revolver. The DA/SA suits my draw style, the platform is large enough to be stable and accurate at distance. While lacking the power available with the 27, it is adquate and makes up for the lower power level with increased capacity.

So what appears like a paradox, seems quite natural to me.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    For me, a nice J-frame with a couple of speed strips or speed loaders close at hand. Obviously, like others, I have about a twadzillion thoughts but for simplicity and carry, but this works well for me in addition to a one other option.

Now if I were going plinking, a S&W K-22 or ruger Super Redhawk (in .44) would be my choice.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

My favorite probably has to be where I started, which is with a 1911 in .45. I shoot it the best of all my centerfire guns, and a blued gun with double-diamond grips just screams "classic"! The solid thump I feel in my hand when I send a round down range puts a smile on my face almost every time.

As much as I love my 1911s and the .45 ACP round, I can't really call it the most versatile. For that I would clearly give the wheelguns the nod, with their ability to handle a wide range of different power levels and bullet types. I'm still pretty new to the full-size revolver game but that's where I'm making progress, with a pair of K-frame M64s.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I think the Glock 29 has to be one of the best all around guns. Small enough to carry daily and big enough to drop most things in the US. Love the caliber!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    For me, a nice J-frame with a couple of speed strips or speed loaders close at hand. Obviously, like others, I have about a twadzillion thoughts but for simplicity and carry, but this works well for me in addition to a one other option.
    Works for me also!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I always thought of myself as a wheel gun guy because of their reliability. However, for the past few years I have been drinking the kool-aid and now I'm thinking Glock. It's probably the only semi that, so far, no ones questioned its reliability. I would have to put it right up there with revolvers. I also like its bullet capacity and they shoot smooth as silk. The only thing I dislike about them is their looks. They don't have the attraction of a 1911 or the timeless elligance of a Walther or the solid weight of a Sig., but they don't have "issues" out of the box like some Kimbers, Kahrs or M&P's and as I've seen demonstrated, you can drag it through the desert behind a pick-up truck all day and it still goes bang. To me that's the most "bang" for my buck.

You know.....I've had revolvers myself back in the day. Those days didn't exactly include concealed carry for me. .357Mag when I was traveling and legal having it in the truck with me without any permit or license.
    Things change as do we. Although I still realize the potential for the revolver in almost any self defense situation, I'm more of the combat mindset and the unexpected. What this translates to for me, is more on tap. My experiences run the gamut. I've depended on a single stack 45ACP to save my life before, and I'd do it again. However.....I've just got to go with the flow and what changes have happened since that time. Most useful and versatile these days? I'll say the Glock G19. That's a 9mm and I carry a 40S&W most of the time. I wish there were a better way to convey my message and not sound like I am a brand embassador. If I have to die with a Glock in my hand....so be it. I'm willing to go there. Some 25 years ago, I bet my life on something else and was satisfied with that choice. Actually it wasn't my choice, but what I was issued. Make the best of what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You know.....I've had revolvers myself back in the day. Those days didn't exactly include concealed carry for me. .357Mag when I was traveling and legal having it in the truck with me without any permit or license.
    Things change as do we. Although I still realize the potential for the revolver in almost any self defense situation, I'm more of the combat mindset and the unexpected. What this translates to for me, is more on tap. My experiences run the gamut. I've depended on a single stack 45ACP to save my life before, and I'd do it again. However.....I've just got to go with the flow and what changes have happened since that time. Most useful and versatile these days? I'll say the Glock G19. That's a 9mm and I carry a 40S&W most of the time. I wish there were a better way to convey my message and not sound like I am a brand embassador. If I have to die with a Glock in my hand....so be it. I'm willing to go there. Some 25 years ago, I bet my life on something else and was satisfied with that choice. Actually it wasn't my choice, but what I was issued. Make the best of what you have.
    Glad to see you made it back ok. Nothin wrong with bein an ambassodor for somethin ya believe in. I will exhort the virtues of sixguns and glocks [especially 10mms] until I am gone.

I like my G23, can defend vs. BG's out to 100 yds and I've recently seen what a 40 S&W Gold Dot will do to a deer at 15 yds, so I'd hunt with it as well. It's comfy to carry and it's never let me down.

VIP Member
    Another vote for the j-frame. I believe if anyone stays in this hobby long enough, they'll end up with one.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I think the Glock 29 has to be one of the best all around guns. Small enough to carry daily and big enough to drop most things in the US. Love the caliber!
    Agreed, it will be my next carry gun.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    4 inch Model 19 S&W or Sig P229 in 357.

Glock 22 or 27 ?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    For me, a nice J-frame with a couple of speed strips or speed loaders close at hand.
    I understand...
    I love the Glocks, but there is much to say and think about when I handle my Ruger SP101...feels awfully nice in the hand, and I do not feel underpowered when it comes along with me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links