Fmk 9c1

Fmk 9c1

This is a discussion on Fmk 9c1 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My FMK (For My Kountry -- Ha! Take that, California!) 9C1 (9mm, Compact, 1st Gen) arrived at my FFL earlier this week and I picked ...

Thread: Fmk 9c1

Fmk 9c1

My FMK (For My Kountry -- Ha! Take that, California!) 9C1 (9mm, Compact, 1st Gen) arrived at my FFL earlier this week and I picked it up yesterday. I did a search through this forum and though other forums have a little info here and there, I did not find any info on this gun here before I bought it, so I thought I'd post some thoughts. There is a lot of information about the gun and it's genesis on the FMK web site, so I won't repeat that. Suffice to say that it is California (American, just barely!) made by a company who is not shy about its political beliefs!

1. Although an internet search will quickly find many who do not like the most obvious "unique" aspect of this gun, I do. For those of you who are not familiar with this firearm, it has a paraphrased version of the Bill of Rights -- yep, all 10 amendments, not just the 2nd -- engraved around the front half of the slide. This is exactly the reason I was first attracted to the gun, and it actually looks better in person than in all the pictures. You can see it (with closeup) here: http://fmkfirearms.com/Products/9c1pistol.html. Although I knew that engraving was there, I was surprised to find that the BoR is not all. Although not shown in the FMK web site pictures, at the back end of the slide, in between the vertical lines of the grip, are several other inscriptions, much more political and humorous -- depending on the reader's opinion, of course. (Ted Kennedy, good drinker, bad lifeguard -- Diane Feinstein wants your guns and money -- Ronald Reagan true American hero, etc.) Rather than detracting from the gun, I think these all make it more unique. None of the engraving is noticeable when shooting!

2. The gun feels much better in my hand (average size) than I would have expected. The feel, weight and balance are not much different than my EDC Glock 27. Steel used in areas like the magazine and the slide feel slightly less "hefty" than in my Glocks, but certainly more than adequate and far from "cheap". The fit and finish is really very good. Several reviews have pointed out gaps and such, but I do not have those. I suspect that perhaps this gun is still in the process of development and is being improved. That seems to be echoed in a couple of the reviews out there.

3. I fired an initial 100 rounds through the gun today. From 5 - 12 yards the grouping was literally 3-5 inches with the installed sights -- and I'm not a particularly expereienced or proficient shot. As you can see on the web site, the sites are easily (looks that way -- I didn't make and changes) interchangeable. Recoil is a little less than I would have expected (used WWW 9mm ammo), so much so that I initially brought second shots in a bit too low, expecting more barrel lift.

4. As several have pointed out, the trigger is long and not particularly smooth. The gun is DAO so that is somewhat to be expected, but it also seemed to improve a bit (or I just got used to it!) over these first 100 rounds, so maybe that's part of the break-in process. Yet to be seen...

5. I wish it dropped the mag upon release. The release itself is a bit higher and more "in front" than most, but it works well. Just requires two hands. Several reviews mention that this (like the 10-round mags) is a California thing. Anyone know?

Amazingly, the gun is available directly from the distributor (EMF -- just the distributor, not part of the manufacturing process to my knowledge) with a Galco holster for only $329 plus $30 second day shipping. http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/FMK-9C1-c202.htm. Customer service was personal and excellent (first when I ordered online then they called to confirm and identify FFL to ship to, and then yesterday when my FFL at first could not find the package and I needed to track it). At that price it might be worth just the conversation-starter aspect, but I'll admit I am more than pleased with the functionality as well. Hmmm... I'm pretty partial to the little Glock, but I will definitely make this part of my regular shooting rotation.

It will be interesting to see where FMK goes with firearms development. Meanwhile, this gun should start lots of conversations! (FWIW I have NO connection with FMK other than being a customer...) I would be happy to answer any questions, since this is sort of hard to find in a LGS. BTW, there are reviews of this gun in 3 recent gun mags -- much more detailed than mine! All three can be linked to from here: http://fmkfirearms.com/index.html
    Last edited by txvoyager; October 16th, 2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Add page with magazine review links...

Thanks for the review! I saw this thing in a gun magazine and thought it looked pretty cool. $329 sounds like a really good deal, though I would like to wait a year to make sure the bug are worked out. Glad you like it, that's what counts after all.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Not too shabby. It looks like an interchangeable backstrap setup but doen't mention it on the specs. Seeing as CA law won't allow the company to make higher cap mags, I wonder if anyone else is.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by txvoyager View Post
    Ronald Reagan true American hero, etc.
    I think the BOR engraving is neat but does this California firearm manufacturer not know that Reagan banned the carry of firearms in California?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I think the BOR engraving is neat but does this California firearm manufacturer not know that Reagan banned the carry of firearms in California?
    Shhhhhhh!!!!!! Everyone knows that only Democrats are pro gun control... ;)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Administrator
    Talk about the gun, not the politics.

Let this serve as the first and last warning in the thread.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nothing against what the engravings say, but for CC it really shouldn't be seen and seems a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    for CC it really shouldn't be seen and seems a bit silly.
    I agree that the engraving would seem to be something intended to "show off" and the opposite of the purpose of an EDC, but so far the gun itself seems to be an ideal option to consider for an EDC on it's merits of function. Maybe they'll into one w/o all the "stuff"... Have to wait and see...

so what are you using for a holster? any item number on it that i can reference when i look to buy one?

Sponsored Links