Glock .40 cal Kaboom, well almost.

This is a discussion on Glock .40 cal Kaboom, well almost. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today we took two other couples to the range to get their wives a bit of trigger time. One of the gals has shot a ...

Today we took two other couples to the range to get their wives a bit of trigger time. One of the gals has shot a little before the other one is/was afraid of guns. One of the husbands has a brand new SR9C that he has't shot yet and was just itching for some trigger time.

So I start out with the two wives and have them shoot my Ruger Automatic Pistol (think Mark I, II or III just before they called them Mark). I figured that a small auto would be much better than starting out with the 9mms. So all is going well. The gal that has shot before works through the .22 and is ready for the 9's. The other gal is still scared of everything bigger than a .22. After about 30 minutes another portion of the range opens up with steel plates and such so all but the one gal that is scared of everything go over there and I stay with the one gal. We finally get to the point where she is liking the 9's after shooting about 4 or 5 different types.

Well a bit later everyone else comes back to where we are, and I overhear some discussion about whether or not the gun is broken etc. I go back and ask them what the deal is. Well one of the guys that was shooting a G23 hands me a casing with a blown out side, then hands me a magazine with a burned/melted front and follower. The pistol had a slight bulge on the right side of the frame, not too bad but you could notice it. He didn't try to shoot it any more after the malfunction.

So my first question is what kind of ammo are you shooting. His answer, some reloads that a guy he knew made for him. Apparently he had bought all the dies, powder, primers ect and the guy built the rounds for him. About 1000 of them. So now the discussion starts about unsupported cases, high pressures and weak spots on cases lining up the same place ect. He is now hoping the he will be able to send the gun back to Glock and they will warranty it for him. We shall see.

My next question to him was did he have any more of the ammo. He said yes, so I got one of the JHP, and one of the FMJ rounds from him. When we got back home from eating after the range session I took apart the ammo, measured the bullets, and the powder ect. Then called him and asked what type of powder he had the guy load with. He told me he had given the guy Hodgden HS 6.

The powder in the rounds was definately not HS 6, it was ball powder, not flake, and HS 6 starts at 6 grains for 165 or 180 grain bullets. The powder looked very similar to Titegroup which has a maximum load of 4.7 grains for a 180 grain bullet. The 180 grain hollow point weighed 4.8 grains and the 165 grain fmj weighed at 4.7 grains. I have a strange suspicion that the guy didn't change his powder measure when he changed the lead he was loading.

Luckily, there was not major damage to the gun and the shooter only got a bit of a burn under his eye where a piece of something hit him below his glasses. He did say that he would not be shooting any more of the JHP ammo the guy built for him. I did offer to disassemble all the ammo, and load it back with appropriate charges of the HS 6 that he bought for the guy to use.

So, is it going to be worth sending the gun back to Glock? Will they fix it for him? Will they charge him to fix it?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Maybe a nine got in a forty?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I Chamber Check ALL reloaded ammo that I produce regardless of caliber (pistol) as I do not reload Rifle ammo. 40S&W is the hardest ammo to reload for personal use. I have a Redding GR-X full length die that all 40S&W brass goes thru prior to getting reloaded on my Dillon SDB for my G35 or my Para 16-40 with a Schumann barrel that is inletted .1 inch. That .1 inch insures that my 10MM length ammo IPSC loads will not chamber in your 40S&W gun. But I can shoot a softer IPSC load in my gun at 170PF than you can and hopefully have a better hit factor than you. All of this is for Gaming the Game and insuring that things do not go BANG in the 40S&W World. My IDPA loads come up just over 130PF in my Glock G35. 200 Grain bullets running slowly. Yes, it is all a game, it just depends on how you play it!!!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

VIP Member
    To answer your question, it's always worth taking the chance on sending the gun back to Glock. The guy might get lucky and have them fix it, but I definitely wouldn't count on it. I don't know of any company that will warranty if reloads are used, or suspected of being used. More than likely the guy is out the price of a new gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Glock will probably offer him a discounted price on a new frame and whatever other parts he needs, but won't warranty it for free. I'd take the invoice for the repairs to the WECSOR graduate that made the reloads if it was my gun.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

So, is it going to be worth sending the gun back to Glock? Will they fix it for him? Will they charge him to fix it?
    I certainly hope that Glock will not fix it for him.

If the powder in the ammo is definitely not the HS6 that he provided to this fellow to load for him, then he certainly has grounds for a civil lawsuit against this man.

Breach of verbal contract to load the ammo with that powder. Gross negligence on his part in loading such defective and dangerous ammo.

Have him tell that dude to buy him a brand new Glock to replace the gun, or he will retain a lawyer and sue him for all of the damages that his negligence caused.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    I certainly hope that Glock will not fix it for him.

If the powder in the ammo is definitely not the HS6 that he provided to this fellow to load for him, then he certainly has grounds for a civil lawsuit against this man.

Breach of verbal contract to load the ammo with that powder. Gross negligence on his part in loading such defective and dangerous ammo.

Have him tell that dude to buy him a brand new Glock to replace the gun, or he will retain a lawyer and sue him for all of the damages that his negligence caused.

'A' number 1........Glock specifies that reloaded ammo not be used in their pistols. Number 2............the end user is THE ONLY one responsible for ANY mishaps associated with using any ammo other than new factory ammo or what is recommended by the manufacturer. It's rather simple. We need to realize that each and every time we pull the trigger on one of our firearms, that we are taking a risk. This risk depends on a lot of things according to engineering, mechanics, physics, and being half-way smart about things. No need in feeding the circling sharks in a pool waiting for blood to be let. We take responsibility for our own actions, otherwise we are less than what we think we are. If YOU didn't reload them, then who can you trust? Should you even be shooting reloads in your pistol? YOU alone are the judge before it ever gets to a 'lawsuit' or court. No sense in tying up the system with trivial nonsense. All in MY opinion of course.
    Nobody can fix you after making a poor decision. Nobody can fix you for being less than responsible for yourself. Nobody can fix you for loosing an eye when you should have known better. Not many will replace your personal property when you don't take concern for it yourself. Compensation in monetary means is seldom a substitute for what you should have known all along. Irresponsible people make me weary and tired, while they make lawyers more money, and burden the system. Any time you'd like me to extrapolate on my ideals, and opinions, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    'A' number 1........Glock specifies that reloaded ammo not be used in their pistols. Number 2............the end user is THE ONLY one responsible for ANY mishaps associated with using any ammo other than new factory ammo or what is recommended by the manufacturer. It's rather simple. We need to realize that each and every time we pull the trigger on one of our firearms, that we are taking a risk. This risk depends on a lot of things according to engineering, mechanics, physics, and being half-way smart about things. No need in feeding the circling sharks in a pool waiting for blood to be let. We take responsibility for our own actions, otherwise we are less than what we think we are. If YOU didn't reload them, then who can you trust? Should you even be shooting reloads in your pistol? YOU alone are the judge before it ever gets to a 'lawsuit' or court. No sense in tying up the system with trivial nonsense. All in MY opinion of course.
    Nobody can fix you after making a poor decision. Nobody can fix you for being less than responsible for yourself. Nobody can fix you for loosing an eye when you should have known better. Not many will replace your personal property when you don't take concern for it yourself. Compensation in monetary means is seldom a substitute for what you should have known all along. Irresponsible people make me weary and tired, while they make lawyers more money, and burden the system. Any time you'd like me to extrapolate on my ideals, and opinions, please let me know.
    I am in 100% agreement with you on this RAM ROD.

I don't reload for anyone except my self and my wife. There is only one person that I know that I will use any reload he produces without question. Without exception I will not use anyone elses reloads

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I am in 100% agreement with you on this RAM ROD.

I don't reload for anyone except my self and my wife. There is only one person that I know that I will use any reload he produces without question. Without exception I will not use anyone elses reloads
    +1....He is the owner of a Glock Pistol that says in the owners manual to not shoot reloads. He had reloads made and shot them. His pistol was not made to do that....100% on him nobody else.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Do any manufacturers state in their product manuals that it is ok to shoot reloads? None that I have do. If noone shot reloads from guns where the manuals told them not to shoot reloads there wouldn't be any companies producing reloading components.

Does that stop me from shooting reloads in my guns, absolutely not.

Reloads are not the problem, the reloads that the other guy made are the problem in this case.

I shot 9mm reloads in a couple of Taurus, a brand new Ruger SR9C, a G26, and a G19 that day. The only problem I had was the SR9C with its tight spring didn't cycle some of them because they were lighter loads.

How many people shoot non saami spec ammo out of guns not even realizing it. Monarch, Wolf, Magtec, NATO, Sellier and Bellot, non of these meet saami specs as far as I know, but folks shoot them all day long without thinking a thing about it.

Should Glock warranty the gun, probably not. Should he sue the guy who made the ammo, probably not. Should he get the guy to make him any more reloaded ammo, probably not. Will I keep reloading and shooting reloads in all my guns including Glocks, absolutely. Do I think it is any more harmful to the gun or the shooter than factory ammo, absolutely not, especially when compared to non saami spec ammo or +p or +p+ ammo that folks regularly purchase and run through their guns.

As far as I could tell the gun still cycled fine by hand. There didn't appear to be any damage to the barrel/slide or any other part of the gun besides the slight bulge in the very top of the frame.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

IMO....and for those that do regularly reload for themselves and use it in what they wish without any issues.......the 40S&W cartridge (to my knowledge) is one of those cartridges that doesn't leave much (or as much of) room for error or miscalculation as maybe some of the other pistol cartridges. I'm thinking the factory cartridges available are already at a safe maximum charge for the cartridge. I don't know of many that do reload for the 40S&W actually. Through several years, and many contacts, some whom buy my once fired brass periodically in any other caliber.......the once fired 40S&W brass isn't in much demand. Putting two and two together, and with what I know and have heard, anyone reloading for the 40S&W with used brass would be best off duplicating the exact factory specs for new ammo down to the last 10th of a grain, and to the same seating depth of the bullet, and over-all length after careful inspection of the once fired case. I'm also thinking not as many reloads will come out of one case as opposed to other calibers/cartridges. I love the 40S&W cartridge for my own reasons. I won't even attempt to portray that it's the best all around performer for CC or personal protection. It's just my answer for just about anything I can think of. Caliber debates can last a long time. They have the ability to drag some through the mud, and the ability to disenchant those whom have chosen other calibers as their first choice and front line of defense. I have no intentions of discussing that here. My true intentions are that those who would reload or furnish reloads of the 40S&W cartridge to others is that (in my opinion)....better have your game face on and adhere strictly to factory specs on every 1/10 grain and every .001". Otherwise....I think it's playing with fire no matter what you'll be using to launch it from. I don't expect to see any brand bashing, caliber wars, or distaste for the Glocks here. This reply centers around the 40S&W cartridge specifically, and reloading for the same. Since I consider everyone here as family, I sincerely hope that I'll never hear about anyone's mishap with the 40S&W no matter what. I'd like all of you to keep safe and out of harm's way, and I'd like you to keep on shooting and preserving yourselves. For what it's worth.

Links