New Pistol for Tactical Shooting

This is a discussion on New Pistol for Tactical Shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hope I am posting within the correct forum. I am looking to purchase a new pistol that I can use for tactical competition. Probably within ...

Thread: New Pistol for Tactical Shooting

Question New Pistol for Tactical Shooting

Hope I am posting within the correct forum.

I am looking to purchase a new pistol that I can use for tactical competition. Probably within the production class. I already have a SA XD-9 SC and Beretta Px4 Storm (9mm) that I use to carry, depending on what I am wearing. Can the members provide me with their opinion on the type of gun I should be looking at? At least 5" and no more that $1200-1300. What would you do? Thanks
    Ralph
    NRA Life Member
    "Don't ever confuse being familiar with being safe."

2. Remove Ads

Read the rules of your sport. This will give you a great starting place and will narrow down your list of possible weapons.

Personally, I shoot IDPA and I use what I carry.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

VIP Member
    As another IDPA fan, I'd say you already have the guns for our sport.
    You may want to check this likn, I think it is the club nearest to your city.

St. Louis Area Pistol Sports
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

You could always get an XD Tactical with a 5" barrel. Your already familiar with the trigger/controls. Then there is also the GLOCK 34, 9mm 5" barrel.

VIP Member
    I'm a big proponent of competing in "tactical" gun games with what I carry. The stress of competition really helps you getting used to carrying, shooting and administratively handling your gun.

I'd go ahead and use what'cha currently got....especially if it's what'cha carry.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Agree........................

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    I'm a big proponent of competing in "tactical" gun games with what I carry. The stress of competition really helps you getting used to carrying, shooting and administratively handling your gun.

I'd go ahead and use what'cha currently got....especially if it's what'cha carry.
    I was about to ask you to define "Tactical' until I read the your post I have used a Glock 34 9mm with 3.5 lp connector "For sporting pupose only" trigger and it's much easier to acquire, and engage targets at fast speeds..............."Speed is devine, but accuracy if final"

I am in full agreement with the above cited post, that you should compete with what you are intending to carry or do carry. IDPA and IPSC are a bit different in clasifications, but I've alway's been a proponent of using whatcha carry for these "Gun games" Many have rolled an eye at the competition "Gun Games" however, I am a firm believer that it is practical shooting exercise for carry concealed enthusiasts. Bring a lunch, some hydration, some snacks and enjoy the afternoon with other shooters.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

My self I use Les Bear Concept VI, 5''. I have used 1911's all my life and shoot action pistol with them.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly I dont sport shoot ( its over 70 miles to the nearest matches ) howeaver if i did i would do the same thing i used to as an officer where it was offered , i would shoot what i carry . Its not a winning combo for most games , but you will improve all the " smootheable skills " with your carry firearm/holster combo by competeing . You win by the workout no matter how you place on the scoretree lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Links