Felons and Firearms

Felons and Firearms

This is a discussion on Felons and Firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good day to everyone. I'm going to get straight to the point. I see post after post on here pushing the blame onto the felon ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Felons and Firearms

Good day to everyone. I'm going to get straight to the point.

I see post after post on here pushing the blame onto the felon for the laws being as they are. While I agree that these laws only hurt the contributing member of society, as criminals do not care about the laws for firearms nor any other.

However, I have to point the finger at the legislators on both sides of the debate. Do you ever stop and think about how easy it is, because of the way the laws in this country are set up, to get convicted of a felony? People with non violent offenses, whether or not they are legitimate or not, are now prohibited.

So, instead of blaming the felons for the crazy laws we all have to put up with, the problem lies with the lawmakers. We need to fight for some of the convicted felons second amendment right too. Not all, but some.

Take care.

We need to fight for some of the convicted felons second amendment right too.
    I can think of one or two scenarios where this might be true but, frankly, I'm not losing much sleep over the rights of convicted felons. Something must have prompted you to post your opinion in this regard. Would you care to share it?

VIP Member
    I am anxiously awaiting this response should be good.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Before I get on the "Save The Felons 2A Rights" bandwagon I'm going to stay on the "Save the honest persons 2A rights" campaign first. We have a lot of work to do on current laws that cripple the people that have earned their rights by staying out of trouble completely and being good citizens.

Now when we get all of our 2A rights set in stone then we can start worrying about the felons.

Consider that possession of marijuana back in the 1970's was a felony. Possess that same quantity today and maybe you get a written citation. Unless you have a medical marijuana card.

I know two felons, convicted of drug charges prior to 1990, who are upstanding businessmen with legitimate incomes. They employ others, pay a lot of taxes, and contribute to charities. In short, I'd trust them long before some other "non-felons" (aka "felons waiting to happen"). There should be a mechanism in our legal system to permit SOME felons (non-violent, no threat to others, etc.) to rehabilitate their civil rights after a period of time. For example, upon release from state custody, the parole board could set a period of probation and other terms (like completing school, engaging in community projects, etc.) Once that probation (et al) is completed, the person would then be able to petition the parole board for a restoration of his/her civil rights. This would not be a slam-dunk deal. The convicted felon would actually have to go beyond just good citizenship to redeem his civil rights, not in a punitive way but in one that proves a commitment to good citizenship.

This process would encourage those with felony convictions to return to a crime-free life and not relapse. It's not to society's advantage to have more people incarcerated when some of them simply need to see the light at the end of the tunnel to stay legitimate. (Yes, the light was there before they committed a crime.)

I'd have to disagree with you. I would say it's pretty dang easy to NOT be a felon. I've been doing it all my life without trying very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon11 View Post
    I'd have to disagree with you. I would say it's pretty dang easy to NOT be a felon. I've been doing it all my life without trying very hard.
    Agreed! When the people who aren't convicted criminals have the rights we should have, then I'll talk about whether some felons should have more rights than they do. For now I'll focus on the rights of those who aren't known to steal, kill and destroy.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Popcorn I need popcorn.

We've all made mistakes. If you say you never have, you're a damned liar. I personally don't think that someone who makes a mistake like smoking pot or writing a bad check when they were young and stupid should forever have their rights taken away. A little forgiveness in this world might go a long way. Violent criminals? Different story.

Quote Originally Posted by ugapug View Post
    We've all made mistakes. If you say you never have, you're a damned liar. I personally don't think that someone who makes a mistake like smoking pot or writing a bad check when they were young and stupid should forever have their rights taken away. A little forgiveness in this world might go a long way. Violent criminals? Different story.
    Agreed, violent criminals are definitely in a different category. And yes everyone has made mistakes, if you are human you have made a mistake, I am sure most people don't go around doing the same things they did when they were 16-22 ish?

I agree with you. Not all felonies are equal, they don't deserve equal treatment.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Sponsor
    There are procedures in place that allow felons who have COMPLETED their sentence(not on parole or suspended sentence...) to have their citizens rights reinstated. The actual procedure and requirements vary from state to state and there are some ambiguous areas. In Ohio a felon may have his voting rights reinstated and there is even a reinstatement of gun rights. Now this is one of the gray areas that I mentioned. The gun rights are not complete as a convicted felon in Ohio can never receive an NFA cert. so that means that it is not a complete reinstatement of rights. I have read that the wording of something at the federal level makes this the stumbling block. If it is not a complete reinstatement of gun rights by the state then there is no reinstatement at the federal level which means that the felon(in Ohio) can never truly get their gun rights back.

That is what was described to me as the Ohio catch 22 by a BATF agent that I spoke with briefly. Now I realize that every LEO does not have detailed knowledge of every law on the books, but I would expect an BATF agent to be fairly up to date on gun laws. I did see several different articles and discussions on this on the interweb but never found anything that made it 100% clear to me.

The reason I was investigating this has to do with an on going child custody case involving a 3 time felon with drug trafficking and domestic violence convictions that has had his civil rights restored. He can't purchase a gun( can't pass the NCIC check) but insists that he has the right to own guns since his rights have been reinstated.
    Last edited by luvmy40; October 19th, 2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: SP.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

They just don't hand out felony charges and convictions.

Do you have a specific class of felonies that you would like to see permited to own firearms after a period of time, or just any old felon who goes straight for 5, 10, 15 years.

This is a slippery slope no matter which side of the argument you take.

As it stands now, I have to agree with those that are advocating getting folks who don't have a criminal record the right to own and keep firearms first. DC/Chicago, folks in IL, and WI where they don't have CHL, or places where it is a "may" issue instead of "shall" issue. Those should be the priority first and foremost.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ugapug View Post
    I have to say I absolutely agree with this statement. I don't think violent criminals should ever have the right to own firearms(like they care about the law anyway) I think that non violent felony offenders should at least have those rights re-established after a period of time.
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

Yeah, I'm not referring to violent felons. This country has just gone to hell. We live under a fascist government anymore. We're responsible for knowing the laws, but as quickly as they are made; how can we?

The patriot act screwed us, The Brady bill screwed us, and God only knows what Obama Osama has planned. I'm merely pointing out that it's not just the felons fault. Laws are made when one idiot does something stupid; not all the time, but a good bit of it. One person is all it takes to screw it up for the entire country. Just keep an open mind, ya'll. Thats all I am saying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links