Rental car with .22 upgrade

This is a discussion on Rental car with .22 upgrade within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The company car went into the dealership today for maintenance so I had to get a rental. Doing a walk around my first thought was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The company car went into the dealership today for maintenance so I had to get a rental. Doing a walk around my first thought was "someone didn't spend too much time cleaning it up." (Note to self...next time inspect inside of vehicle as well.)

A couple of hours later I noticed a piece of paper sticking out of a small closed tray. I open it and find a .22 magnum North American Arms revolver, one of those tiny things that holds five shots. And yes, it was loaded.

The rental car company wasn't going to get it back from me (I'm not handing over a handgun to some 22 yr. old clerk who's not even qualified to clean a car) so I removed the cylinder, dropped it into a baggie and took it to my local police dept. I then called the rental company's national number to let them know what I had done in case someone came looking for it.

Turns out the owner called the rental company an hour later and blamed the clerk for stealing his gun. The clerk calls me and says " I have a crazy question for you..." The clerk said this guy didn't sound quite sane.

Not to be judgmental, but what the hell. How careless do you have to be to leave a loaded weapon in a rental car, and then blame somebody else? This guy is going to have to explain himself to the cops before he gets his crappy little peashooter back. And I'm not using this rental company anymore.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 26th, 2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: language

People leave weapons all the time, including the police, feds, and other LE agencies. It happens

Unfortunately they don't have a box on the background forms that asked if you are a dummy.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    People leave weapons all the time, including the police, feds, and other LE agencies. It happens
    The story goes... a criminal robbed a c-store with a pistol-gripped shotgun, and put it down on the counter to get the money the clerk was trying to hand to him. He forgot his gun on the counter. I heard this many years ago and have no idea if its true or not.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proliance View Post
    The company car went into the dealership today for maintenance so I had to get a rental. Doing a walk around my first thought was "someone didn't spend too much time cleaning it up." (Note to self...next time inspect inside of vehicle as well.)

A couple of hours later I noticed a piece of paper sticking out of a small closed tray. I open it and find a .22 magnum North American Arms revolver, one of those tiny things that holds five shots. And yes, it was loaded.

The rental car company wasn't going to get it back from me (I'm not handing over a handgun to some 22 yr. old clerk who's not even qualified to clean a car) so I removed the cylinder, dropped it into a baggie and took it to my local police dept. I then called the rental company's national number to let them know what I had done in case someone came looking for it.

Turns out the owner called the rental company an hour later and blamed the clerk for stealing his gun. The clerk calls me and says " I have a crazy question for you..." The clerk said this guy didn't sound quite sane.

Not to be judgmental, but what the hell. How careless do you have to be to leave a loaded weapon in a rental car, and then blame somebody else? This guy is going to have to explain himself to the cops before he gets his crappy little peashooter back. And I'm not using this rental company anymore.
    "Crappy little pea shooter"? Shows what you know.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 27th, 2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: fixed quoted language

VIP Member
    Good argument for maintaining on-body carry.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    The story goes... a criminal robbed a c-store with a pistol-gripped shotgun, and put it down on the counter to get the money the clerk was trying to hand to him. He forgot his gun on the counter. I heard this many years ago and have no idea if its true or not.
    This one is close, only funnier. Don't put your gun on the counter to grab the money.

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-stor...,0,99904.story
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    This one is close, only funnier. Don't put your gun on the counter to grab the money.

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-stor...,0,99904.story
    "As soon as I noticed that's when I picked it up," she said. "He ran fast. He ran out of his shoe." Police later found the suspect's tennis shoe near the store's front door.
    I wonder if this will play out like Cinderella as they try the shoe on suspects.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I wonder if this will play out like Cinderella as they try the shoe on suspects.
    Hopefully the shoe fit experience will take place in the morgue.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Good thing no children were involved. My two love to search cars.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    So the guy was relying on a .22 for his carry-around gun?

You're right, he was a dummy.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    "Crappy little pea shooter"? Shows what you know.
    I agree with 21bubba... I see no reason to insult pea shooter owners.

Years ago a friend of mine bought a Ford Mustang during a good cleaning and going over the back seat was removed and we found a very illeagal cut down 12 gauge double barrel. We turned it in to the county and gave them full info regarding where,what and when. Just a few years ago a co-worker was in the Seatle area and rented a car, during the two weeks he had the car he found a small bag of pot in the car. It scared the hell outta him as he'd already crossed the border once into and out of Canada with the car, it was apparantly there the whole time. I tend to go over the rentals before I go far in them.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I OWN a car rental companyhere in NY. I could tell you stories for years. We have had Feds,Leos leave their guns and shields or Creds under the seat of a rental van. People rent for alot of diffrent reasons. Some legal mostly not. Will post some stories over next few days.

We had a customer rental van to move "household" items. Customer gets pulled over and had 30 full size pot plants in the van with 100 paper cup with soil (no plants). Customer get arrested, Van impounded, Plants photographed and destroyed.It takes 3 weeks to get DA release over the 3 weeks there was alot of rain and hign humidity. I go myself to pick up van from tow yard all the paper cups now have plants growing in them. Told the lot to dumps and threw out all the cups.

GM
    I do not understand how someone can forget a firearm
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links