NRA and Politics

NRA and Politics

This is a discussion on NRA and Politics within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend sent me this missive, and I thought that it may provide food for thought. "Just in case you need to learn that NRA ...

Thread: NRA and Politics

NRA and Politics

A friend sent me this missive, and I thought that it may provide food for thought.

"Just in case you need to learn that NRA is playing dirty party politics ... my personal encounter today:

About 10 days ago I called them to let them know that they missed to send a candidate questionnaire to Floyd Bayne (who is running as an independent in 7th Congressional District in Virginia - against 'GOP fundriser' Cantor.) They wanted to know who I was and what side I was representing. - No one, just me, one person in Virginia. I gave them my full name. I gave them Bayne's contact information. A week later they still have not contacted Floyd. The questionnaire is not posted on NRA website, and even the actual answers of each candidate are not listed. NRA has to send it to candidate. I called again, then got a voice message saying that "NRA only sends questionnaire to party candidates". I posted online for everyone to contact NRA and tell them to stop picking party candidates only.

So today, I called again and spoke with Jeff Freeman at NRA (he is responsible for elections issues in Virginia.) Maybe some people called and NRA took an action. He told me they sent the questionnaire to Floyd - TODAY 10/19. I asked him if NRA will be able to turn around the answers from Floyd and post the ratings on the website to allow people to make informed choice of candidate before November 2.

The response I got was - "Floyd can send his answers if he wants to, but we (NRA) are not going to rate an independent" (his words, not mine). "NRA Board policy is only to rate party candidates who have a chance of winning" (his words, not mine). He then changed his words to "NRA rates legitimate candidates" (his words, not mine). I told him that Virginia Board of Elections considers Floyd Bayne a legitimate candidate and lists him on the ballot. I suggested that they change the policy and rate all candidates and let people choose the winner. I mentioned that I am not a member - to which he said only NRA members vote for Board members, and only NRA members can let Board know what they think.

SOOOOO, if you are NRA Member (sorry for you money wasted) - and if you want to know where ALL candidates stand, in all states, please ask the Board to stop discrimination, stop picking "who has a chance to win". This is their national policy and applies to all elections in all states.

At some point in the convesation, the NRA guy also asked me why would I care to call them if I was not a member. I said, "you can always take your chance at 'converting' me if you do the right thing - but you lost me again!" I know a better place to spend $25.

He did get very short and interrupting with me once he found out I was not a member, I guess the courtesy only goes so far. My feelings are not hurt 'cause my expectation of NRA being fair was very low. Please dont limit your sight to NRA only. GOA (national) and VCDL (Virginia) are much more honest in their actions and efficient in their achievements.

On November 2 - vote for principles, not party politics.

Leyla
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force."

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Amen to that. I am no longer NRA after only 1 yr. with them (did not renew my membership this month after their fiasco w/ Harry Reid and Disclose Act). I have been and will always be GOA.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I checked my latest copy of Rifleman with the ratings and the NRA did rate at least one Independant candidate (Christ). May be that is because he is the current Govenor, maybe not.

Meanwhile, the NRA continues to send me requests for "early renewal," twice since I renewed in July. More paper and postage money wasted that could have been utilized elsewhere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I continue my NRA membership because they are the 800lb gorilla of 2A rights organizations and I think they help more than they hurt most of the time. I'm also a member of GOA because I like their no compromise attitude.

I have to wonder if your encounter was really an NRA thing or a local thing. They definitely seem to be caught up in the politicking instead of what they really should be doing which is lobbying for the 2A, in either case.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    I may not agree 100% with the NRA, but I still think they are the best option for 2A support.

Remember, they were out there fighting for your 2A rights long before GOA and other organizations were ever thought of. While they may not get it right 100% of the time, they DO carry more clout than any of the other groups out there. No organization is going to get it right every time, or please everyone in their organization.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

JT
    No offense, but I would like a better source for this type of information than “A friend sent me this missive”. I don’t see the value in bad mouthing the NRA over unconfirmed, second-hand word of mouth.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    It is my understanding that the NRA only rates candidates on their position on second amendment issues. Hardly the only reason, albeit an important one, to vote for a candidate. This year I am much more concerned with voting out the leeches from both sides of the aisle who believe "business as usual" is good business. I'm tired of paying for their retirement, health care and partying expenses in return for more government and a ruined country. I'm voting against every incumbent and anyone who has held other offices. It's my turn to get even.

No offense, but I would like a better source for this type of information than “A friend sent me this missive”. I don’t see the value in bad mouthing the NRA over unconfirmed, second-hand word of mouth.
    +1

I'm leery of any post that starts out "a friend sent me" or I got this e-mail".

The authoress is a friend of mine that is very pro 2nd amendment. She was heavily involved in the organization of the 2nd amendment march a few months ago and has recently been sworn in as an American citizen. She does not want America to fall into the traps that the people in her country of origin have. One of her first acts as a U.S. citizen was to have an American Flag tattooed on her arm.
    SHE GETS IT!
    She wasn't born to the priviledges that we have been (speaking for myself) she has first hand experiance as to what life is without them.
    SHE HAS MY RESPECT AND I DON'T HESITATE AT ALL IN SAYING HER STORY IS TRUE IF SHE SAYS SO. She's that kind of person.

Rather than relying on second- or third-hand information, why not get it from the horse's mouth?

This is from the NRA-ILA site, http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Article...=413&issue=047

As in every election year, some of these endorsements prompt questions concerning the criteria NRA-PVF uses in making these decisions. Following is a brief explanation of that policy.

The NRA-PVF is non-partisan in issuing its candidate grades and endorsements. We do not base our decisions on a candidate’s party affiliation, but rather on his or her record on Second Amendment issues. The NRA is a single-issue organization. The only issues on which we evaluate candidates seeking elected office are gun-related issues. While there are many issues a candidate must address with voters, and while voters evaluate a number of non-gun-related issues in factoring which candidate they will support or oppose, NRA-PVF’s sole criteria in issuing grades and endorsements is a candidate’s position on gun-related issues.

With four million NRA members and 80 million gun owners in the country, our constituency is diverse in its views on multiple issues of our day. However, we are all united in our support of the Second Amendment and our opposition to the notion that passing more laws that negatively impact law-abiding gun owners will reduce crime. For us to divide that otherwise united base of support on non-firearm-related issues would be strategically foolish.

NRA has an incumbent-friendly policy that dictates our support for pro-gun incumbents seeking reelection. It is important that we stand with our friends who stand with us in Congress or the state legislature through their actions. Of course, should a pro-gun challenger win his election, and stay true to support for our gun rights, then he will be the beneficiary of this policy when seeking re-election.

For candidates who are not incumbents or who have not previously held elective office and thus lack voting records, we review answers to NRA’s candidate questionnaires, their campaign literature and relevant statements, and rely on intelligence from NRA members and gun owners in the field.

All of this information is then reviewed and a grade of "A" to "F" is issued. Endorsements are not given in every race. Our endorsement is not given lightly; it is something that is reserved for those candidates who meet certain criteria and something that must be earned.
    Beyond that, since the NRA-ILA's existence is for political ends, don't kid yourself that they are above their own politics. For example, the Harry Reid issue: is is smart to drive the "devil you know" (who in reality is a weak Senate majority leader) out of office and thereby permit the shoo-in of Charlie Schumer as majority leader?

There are no absolutes in politics. Yes, I appreciate - and financially support - the GOA, but their take-no-prisoners, no negotiation approach wins fewer permanent friends in high places. In spite of my level of NRA membership, don't assume that I side with the NRA on every single issue. I simply recognize that there is no bigger organization fighting for my RKBA rights then them, and their record over the past 30 years or so has been impressive.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    There are politics in every part of society today. Even in some churches and Sunday school classes. I find it national "Clubs" as well encourage support of one faction or another. As mentioned above, the NRA IS the 800lb gorila of 2A rights and to that end I support them 100%. I also consider myself educated enough to decide for myself what is best for me when in the voting booth as well as in daily life.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Links