Smallest production 9mm?

Smallest production 9mm?

This is a discussion on Smallest production 9mm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After my kahr P380 I looked at the kahr pm9 and it looked like the smallest production 9mm I could find... Is there anything smaller? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smallest production 9mm?

After my kahr P380 I looked at the kahr pm9 and it looked like the smallest production 9mm I could find... Is there anything smaller? Is keltec PF9 a smaller 9mm?

I'm talking about regular production pistols, not the 1k roughbrough (sp?) 9mm... Something most of us can afford lol...

I'm thinking about getting one. This p380 is so easy to carry that I wouldn't mind a 9mm that's just slightly larger

Kahr makes a couple sub compact 9mm (one poly, one not), kel tec PF9, and the Taurus Slim 709. My 709 has 1200 flawless rounds through it, and at $369 new it has exceeded my expectations. Adjustable sights, accurate, thin. You'll get the obligatory Taurus bashers saying if you buy one you will have to poke yourself n the eye with a stick, rub yourself with garlic, burn it at the stake, and have an exorcism...but I've loved mine. Any very small 9 mm is going to have a lot of recoil and have somewhat limited capacity. My Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact is slightly larger but as easy for me to carry (and 13+1). It absorbs recoil easier and is easier for me to be accurate with follow-up shots. It's not the smallest, or lightest, but all things considered I like it a lot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that the Taurus 709 slim is the smallest and lightest 9mm in the market.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

RGC
    Kel tec PF9 is about the smallest, but it does has a "little" recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Kahr makes a couple sub compact 9mm (one poly, one not), kel tec PF9, and the Taurus Slim 709. My 709 has 1200 flawless rounds through it, and at $369 new it has exceeded my expectations. Adjustable sights, accurate, thin. You'll get the obligatory Taurus bashers saying if you buy one you will have to poke yourself n the eye with a stick, rub yourself with garlic, burn it at the stake, and have an exorcism...but I've loved mine. Any very small 9 mm is going to have a lot of recoil and have somewhat limited capacity. My Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact is slightly larger but as easy for me to carry (and 13+1). It absorbs recoil easier and is easier for me to be accurate with follow-up shots. It's not the smallest, or lightest, but all things considered I like it a lot.
    I think the main issue in recoil with the 709 is the odd length grip. For people with hands my size I could get three fingers on it but when I fired the gun the recoil caused the bottom one to slip off. However to curl my pinky underneat the grip i had to lower my grip on the gun and that caused it's own set of problems.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    The OP specifically said NOT the roughbrough.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The Roughbrough, then the Kahr. The Keltec is very close in size to the Kahr CW9, not the PM9. The PM9 is the smallest +p capable 9mm in production today. I have one, haven't had a single issue with it. Just shoot it, clean it, and repeat ;)
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The OP specifically said NOT the roughbrough.
    Oops. You are correct. My bad .... need to work on my early morning reading comprehension, or start drinking coffee earlier. Sorry about that.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I think that the Taurus 709 slim is the smallest and lightest 9mm in the market.

I think that is not correct:

Taurus 709
    Barrel Length: 3.2"
    Length: 6.24"
    Height: 4.52"
    Width: 1.04"
    Weight: 19 oz.

Kahr PM9
    Barrel Length: 3.0"
    Length: 5.3"
    Height: 4.0"
    Width: .90"
    Weight: Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 oz

Kel-Tec PF-9

Barrel Length: 3.1"
    Length: 5.85"
    Height: 4.3"
    Width: 0.88"
    Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Rohrbaugh is by far the smallest 9mm, but closely followed by the Kahr. It sounds like you are fond of the P380 so stick with Kahr and get the PM9.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    In a recent magazine article where the major brand sub-compact 9mm's were tested out of the box, the Rohrbaugh was the only model that fired flawlessly out of the box through all the test. All the others had some issues, FTF, FTE, etc. Perhaps they just needed break-in rounds. How much is your life worth?

It's probably worth at least a few break-in rounds, but I'm up to 226 rounds through my PM9 now without a hitch. It's performed flawlessly, outside of my need to get used to a small gun with a small sight radius in rather large, meat-hook worthy hands. I'd stack my Kahr right up there.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    In a recent magazine article where the major brand sub-compact 9mm's were tested out of the box, the Rohrbaugh was the only model that fired flawlessly out of the box through all the test. All the others had some issues, FTF, FTE, etc. Perhaps they just needed break-in rounds. How much is your life worth?
    GunGeezer - do you have a link to the magazine article you referenced?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I used to own a Kahr PM9, and the owners manual specifically stated to break the weapon in with 150 or more rounds. So while I see where your coming from, in some cases, the manufacturers actually recommend a break-in period. (I can't remember if my Keltec has that in it? )

I think I'd like to add a Keltec pf-9 to my collection. I've been MORE than pleased with the quality, and performance of my p3at.

I can't lie, the Taurus 709 Slim does look like a nice weapon, but given Taurus questionable quality?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links