Bobtails: a couple of questions

This is a discussion on Bobtails: a couple of questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why is it only 1911 style guns that get bobtailed? What exactly is the purpose of it? (other than the grip not poking you in ...

Thread: Bobtails: a couple of questions

Distinguished Member

Bobtails: a couple of questions

Why is it only 1911 style guns that get bobtailed?

What exactly is the purpose of it? (other than the grip not poking you in the ribs)

2. Remove Ads

Probably because 1911s are so prolific, and Ed Brown (who apparently pioneered the conversion) works on 1911s.

The purpose is to reduce the sharp back corner of the full-size 1911 grip and thereby make the gun more concealable and less likely to "print" under concealing garments.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Because with what other type of gun is someone going to pay 1K+ for a pistol and then send it to a smith to have it machined? It just doesn't sound realistic to say "I'm sending my Sig/Glock/HK in to be bobtailed".
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I would compare it to the modern version of a Colt Bisley. If you haven't held it, don't knock it.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I wish more guns were bobtailed. It would be easy to form the polymer frames that way. A prime candidate, IMO, would be the XDm 3.8....that gun is so stupid with the short bbl and long grip. I personally really like the feel of a bobtailed grip. Fits my hand well and certainly helps with printing.

Just think of a bobtailed 1911 grip as feeling like a round-butt S&W revolver grip.

Great analogy with the round-butt giga...All my carry 1911s are bobtailed, even my 5" Colt S70. Nice feel in the hand, great help in concealment. As to why only 1911's do it, because they can. There is room in that back corner that allows the use of an Officer mainspring. Most plastic guns' grips are only a container for an oversized magazine.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member
    I need to learn more about the 1911s.

Yes on the XD. I just shot a few for the first time the other day, and those grips seem really long.

I really like the feel of my CBOB-thin grip and the MSH doesn't dig into the palm when shooting or in your side when carrying. I'm actually thinking of " bobbing" my Colt Defender Plus.
    Last edited by stumpjumper; October 23rd, 2010 at 08:22 PM.

I've got a "gently" bobbed CCO and it makes a serious difference in the hand as opposed to an Officers ACP without the rounded backstrap. "More gooder" is the term.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    What exactly is the purpose of it? (other than the grip not poking you in the ribs)
    Of all pistols that I have ever holstered, only the 1911 has a fairly sharp bottom corner/edge, where the backstrap "folds" under. Offhand, I can't think of any other pistol that's like it, in that regard.

For me, on a relatively shorter frame in the 4.75" to 5.25" size, it's an issue of stopping the base of the backstrap from digging into the palm of my hand. As well, with IWB or OWB position south of 3 o'clock, bending forward means that the sharp corner prints through a shirt fairly easily. Rounding off that corner breaks up that sharp edge. Others might have found other benefits, but these are the two that I have found being primary, for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Once you try a nice Bobbed 1911 that is set up right and running good, you will never go back to plastic.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Keep in mind that some folk's hands are small enough to where the rear corner of a 1911 grip is at or below the heel of their palm. These small handed folks may not feel much difference in handling with a bobtail, vs. large handed folks that always seem to notice the rear corner of the grip in the heel of their palms.

As for me, I have large hands, and the location of the hump on the back my bobtailed mainspring housing just so happens to settle right in the hollow of my palm perfectly. This, combined with a rubber Hogue finger groove wraparound grip, makes an awesome carry package for my fullsize 5" S&W1911. I even shoot IDPA with it quite successfully. It is my daily carry in the cooler months and the grip conceals about as comparable as an officer's model. No more digging into my ribs in a bucket seat in the car, either! Plus, I get to keep 8-round magazine capacity!

Links