Spring. Mil-Spec 1911's

This is a discussion on Spring. Mil-Spec 1911's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I am not a 1911 guru by any means but I do have some range time on a few of them. I am interested ...

Thread: Spring. Mil-Spec 1911's

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Spring. Mil-Spec 1911's

Ok, I am not a 1911 guru by any means but I do have some range time on a few of them. I am interested in the Springfield line of 1911's because of the price and quality. My question is do the Mil-Spec versions that are built to look like the WWII versions have all of the modern safeties on them, particulary firing pin block? I know that some earlier 1911's didn't have firing pin blocks and if dropped on the muzzle they could go off. Do the modern Mil-Spec Springfields have these? I really love the nostalgic feel and look to these and I would like to make one of these my first 1911 some day. School me 1911 gurus.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

Springfield Doesn't use a firing pin Block they use a titanium firing pin and extra heavy firing pin spring. So that it wont go off if dropped.

Now they do use a locking Mainspring housing that you can keep or change depending how on feel about the lock

The Rumor about going off when dropped is somewhat true but also a rumor i was reading a Write up where they couldn't get one to go off with a weak firing pin spring on purpose till it was dropped over 12 foot straight on the muzzle ..

It's Another on of those it probley did happen or someone got there finger in the trigger guard and set it off when they dropped it and hey it went off.

I really love the nostalgic feel and look to these

That's why I got another 1911.

I have a Series 80 Colt 1991A1 and picked up the Mil-Spec for the tradition look. I may replace the sights, but won't change anything else.

I want a WWII copy myself ill get one eventually

So they are safer than the original WWI and WWII versions. I just didn't know if they were built internally just like the older 1911's or if it is just more of a cosmetic thing. Do you guys like the stainless or the parkerized GI versions? I think I want the parkerized with the US logo on the grips.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

yes i guess you could say they are safer..

i want the parked version with the us grips .. Been almost impossible to find here locally as of late.. Well any springfield for that matter..

I was told from 2 separate dealers that Springfield's 1911's are selling so fast they cant keep up .

Course i got couple other 1911's on my plate right now so i can hold out for a WWII model

I got my Mil-Spec right when the came out. I got lucky and picked one up for $399. Good luck finding a NIB for that price.

Saw one on GunsAmerica for $450 or so. The rest were in the $500 range.

I am very jealous Jamie!!!!! How does she shoot? Probably not a tack driver but good combat accuracy, right?

450-475 is range i see here for them

I've got the parkerized mil-spec with the U.S. Grips. It's a beautiful gun. I love its look, and it works great as a carry gun. I paid about 410 for it when they first came out.

I've heard that they no longer come with the wood grips, has anyone else heard this?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I paid 425 for mine - parkerized. Great pistol, very reliable, and surprisingly accurate for the price. The sights are a main detractor for most folks - they are true to the old WWII sights - very small and hard to see.

Mine does dent the mouth of the ejected brass, but does not seem to affect reloadability of the brass. I have several cases on their 5th and 6th reload without splits.

Links