Sight Adjustment ?

Sight Adjustment ?

This is a discussion on Sight Adjustment ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As most of you know I recently acquired a Glock 19. Ordered some meprolight night sights and took them to my LGS and had the ...

Sight Adjustment ?

As most of you know I recently acquired a Glock 19. Ordered some meprolight night sights and took them to my LGS and had the Glock Armorer install them. He told me if when I went to shoot it, it was off...to stop in and he'd let me borrow his sight adjustment tool.

It was 4 to 4.5 inches left. I went and borrowed his adjustment tool. I ended up having to push the rear sight to somewhere between 1/64 to 1/32 of an inch to the edge of the dovetail on the right side.

I dropped his tool back off at the LGS and he said that the meprolights have a tendency to shoot low also (which it was shooting low). He said you have to cover target with the front post (not use 6 oclock sighting picture).

Has anyone else experienced any of this with their Glock after installing meprolight night sights?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Administrator
    "He said you have to cover target with the front post (not use 6 oclock sighting picture)."
    In an actual SHTF scenario if you are actually even using your firearm sights you'll have a natural tendency to do exactly that anyway and you'll also very likely have an instinctive crushing grip on your firearm. Just my personal opinion on that.

How did your G19 shoot for you with factory sights?
    At what range were you sighting in or testing your new Meprolights?
    Have you shot your G19 with the factory plastic sights and know where you hit? Comparison will help a lot.
    There are also different heights available, and you may have gotten the wrong sights for your pistol. I've had good luck with all of my Glocks swapping over to Trijicons or Meprolights for the night sights. One thing I'll always do to compare is shoot my Glocks out of the box with factory sights before I do the swap. Glocks work well for me. For you....this may all boil down to a trigger/finger issue. I've never run across nor heard of replacement night sights hitting low or off center if the factory sights were dead on. We need to research this further and find out what actually happened. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it soon. Meantime.......don't be disappointed. There's a reason for everything.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "He said you have to cover target with the front post (not use 6 oclock sighting picture)."
    In an actual SHTF scenario if you are actually even using your firearm sights you'll have a natural tendency to do exactly that anyway and you'll also very likely have an instinctive crushing grip on your firearm. Just my personal opinion on that.
    A crush grip is recommended for the Glock actually. High hold. This sort of rings a bell with me, and when you are shooting at close ranges (or SD scenarios), I triangulate and focus on the front sight only. The rear sight should only be a shadow and out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    How did your G19 shoot for you with factory sights?
    At what range were you sighting in or testing your new Meprolights?
    Have you shot your G19 with the factory plastic sights and know where you hit? Comparison will help a lot.
    There are also different heights available, and you may have gotten the wrong sights for your pistol. I've had good luck with all of my Glocks swapping over to Trijicons or Meprolights for the night sights. One thing I'll always do to compare is shoot my Glocks out of the box with factory sights before I do the swap. Glocks work well for me. For you....this may all boil down to a trigger/finger issue. I've never run across nor heard of replacement night sights hitting low or off center if the factory sights were dead on. We need to research this further and find out what actually happened. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it soon. Meantime.......don't be disappointed. There's a reason for everything.
    Thanks Ramrod, I had sent you a PM earlier today but you may not have checked your PM's. We did shoot the factory sights before switching to the meprolights. Factory sights centered of course, and it was a little off, but I realized it was trigger finger (I hadn't shot a Glock in a long time), was not used to the trigger. After switching the sights, first time out, I put a whole 15 round magazine 4 to 4.5 inches to the left of bullseye and about 1.5 inches low (on average), some more some less. This is all about 25 feet (roughly same distance we always shoot). After moving the rear sight all the way to the right, and being real careful not to pull off target (trigger finger), it is much better. In fact I think now it is about .5 to 1 inch to the right.

The meprolights I ordered were: ML-10224 for Glock 9mm, 357 Sig, .40 & .45 GAP Pistols.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Thanks Ramrod, I had sent you a PM earlier today but you may not have checked your PM's. We did shoot the factory sights before switching to the meprolights. Factory sights centered of course, and it was a little off, but I realized it was trigger finger (I hadn't shot a Glock in a long time), was not used to the trigger. After switching the sights, first time out, I put a whole 15 round magazine 4 to 4.5 inches to the left of bullseye and about 1.5 inches low (on average), some more some less. This is all about 25 feet (roughly same distance we always shoot). After moving the rear sight all the way to the right, and being real careful not to pull off target (trigger finger), it is much better. In fact I think now it is about .5 to 1 inch to the right.

The meprolights I ordered were: ML-10224 for Glock 9mm, 357 Sig, .40 & .45 GAP Pistols.
    Maybe my PM box is full? I try to clear them out on a weekly basis. You just email me if you want. No worries. If the factory sights got you where you wanted to be, I'd suggest keeping the factory rears and just a front night sight (such as I got for my wife's G26). The Glock brand night sights are also good in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Maybe my PM box is full? I try to clear them out on a weekly basis. You just email me if you want. No worries. If the factory sights got you where you wanted to be, I'd suggest keeping the factory rears and just a front night sight (such as I got for my wife's G26). The Glock brand night sights are also good in my book.
    I need to put it in a vice or something and see how it shoots. Or have someone with real good aim try it. It could be my shooting. I can't adjust a sight if my shooting isn't cutting the mustard. If I know the sights are lined up perfect and the gun shoots like it's supposed to, then I can't complain. I then know it's my shooting and I have some shooting practice to do.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

CW9 sighr adjustment

Does anyone know how to adjust the rear sight on the Kahr CW9. all my rounds are pulling to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I need to put it in a vice or something and see how it shoots. Or have someone with real good aim try it. It could be my shooting. I can't adjust a sight if my shooting isn't cutting the mustard. If I know the sights are lined up perfect and the gun shoots like it's supposed to, then I can't complain. I then know it's my shooting and I have some shooting practice to do.
    Welcome to DC.
    If you rule out yourself as the cause, its simple to adjust the sights. Drift the rear sight with a brass punch. I'm not sure but I believe the front sight on the CW series is fixed and non adjustable?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links