First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall - Page 2

First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall

This is a discussion on First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have taken two Close Range Gun Fighting Courses this year and found two rounds from the 100 count WWB that failed to Chamber Check ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall

I have taken two Close Range Gun Fighting Courses this year and found two rounds from the 100 count WWB that failed to Chamber Check for me. I purchased 1300 rounds of WWB from Walley World. All got Chamber Checked as do all of my Reloaded rounds that I shoot. The two WWB rounds would not chamber because one was mangled at the end of case and was sticking out like it hit a brick wall and was mangled, the other had red primer sealer on the Primer which means that it was a NATO round which is a higher pressure round in FMJ. Both rounds were disposed of and never made it into the training round bag of ammo. Things do happen and I have also had bad rounds that I have reloaded that did not pass the chamber check before shooting. You just do not know what you will get in a box of ammo incuding Social Ammo!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have taken two Close Range Gun Fighting Courses this year and found two rounds from the 100 count WWB that failed to Chamber Check for me. I purchased 1300 rounds of WWB from Walley World. All got Chamber Checked as do all of my Reloaded rounds that I shoot. The two WWB rounds would not chamber because one was mangled at the end of case and was sticking out like it hit a brick wall and was mangled, the other had red primer sealer on the Primer which means that it was a NATO round which is a higher pressure round in FMJ. Both rounds were disposed of and never made it into the training round bag of ammo. Things do happen and I have also had bad rounds that I have reloaded that did not pass the chamber check before shooting. You just do not know what you will get in a box of ammo incuding Social Ammo!
    I guess I should start chamber checking all my ammo.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I guess I should start chamber checking all my ammo.
    Build-up in a dirty chamber can cause a round to not seat completely, and therefore may cause an out-of-battery situation but you keep the pistol clean and lubed but not over lubed.

I would tend to think it is an ammo problem.

1. clean & lub
    2. check mags (try another)
    3. check ammo (different type(s)
    4. check and re-seat recoil spring rod
    5. return to factory (meantime read camera manual so we can see some flames)
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Like I said.......I really wish you and pinklady lived closer. We'd make a day at the range with the Glocks, and the girls could talk while we shoot. My wife would enjoy that.
    You are 13 hours 22 Minutes or 825.21 miles from us. Half way would be Holladay, TN (Between Memphis and Nashville).
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Build-up in a dirty chamber can cause a round to not seat completely, and therefore may cause an out-of-battery situation but you keep the pistol clean and lubed but not over lubed.

I would tend to think it is an ammo problem.

1. clean & lub
    2. check mags (try another)
    3. check ammo (different type(s)
    4. check and re-seat recoil spring rod
    5. return to factory (meantime read camera manual so we can see some flames)
    Here is the best one I got out of all my experimenting.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

My bet is the Winchester White Box ammo. I will not use it in any of my firearms, period. It's cheap and dirty and I've seen more problems with quality from my also cheap and dirty buddies using it when we go shooting at the farm. I only use Federal and American Eagle FMJs for practice. You wouldn't believe the stuff I've seen, even in revolver rounds (brass ribbons hanging off of the case, cases damaged straight out of the box, cases not formed properly, etc.). One of them asked me one day why I wasted money on more expensive practice ammo and I replied, "You ever notice how much time yall waste clearing jams? I've not had a single one yet and I get to spend more of my time shooting." I don't get to go shooting as much as I would like and I don't want to waste my time when I do get the opportunity. Not to mention I don't want to damage any of my firearms. Check to make sure it didn't bugger up your chamber.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    My bet is the Winchester White Box ammo. I will not use it in any of my firearms, period. It's cheap and dirty and I've seen more problems with quality from my also cheap and dirty buddies using it when we go shooting at the farm. I only use Federal and American Eagle FMJs for practice. You wouldn't believe the stuff I've seen, even in revolver rounds (brass ribbons hanging off of the case, cases damaged straight out of the box, cases not formed properly, etc.). One of them asked me one day why I wasted money on more expensive practice ammo and I replied, "You ever notice how much time yall waste clearing jams? I've not had a single one yet and I get to spend more of my time shooting." I don't get to go shooting as much as I would like and I don't want to waste my time when I do get the opportunity. Not to mention I don't want to damage any of my firearms. Check to make sure it didn't bugger up your chamber.
    He checked the chamber and it looks good.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Here is the best one I got out of all my experimenting.

That is really a darn good picture. I think it just needs to be very dark or maybe setup a black backdrop. Maybe try some without a flash too. Just need to experiment with the exposure time in darkness.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    That is really a darn good picture. I think it just needs to be very dark or maybe setup a black backdrop. Maybe try some without a flash too. Just need to experiment with the exposure time in darkness.
    Well that's what I was doing. It got pretty darn cold out there too. My hands were freezing. I was a bit further in front of where I stood on this shot because I have tinted windows (figured dark background) but the glass was getting sky reflection on it, so I moved back a couple steps and put the dark interior of the vehicle behind me. Flash lit that up. Slow exposures just cause motion blur with the gun and my hands. No flash meant I couldn't freeze motion of the gun. Photography is my "other" hobby, so I'm pretty familiar with it. It's just hard to get "dark" "motion freeze" "focus" and everything when trying to work both behind the camera and in front of the camera and achieve that.

Here is the 2nd best shot I got. No camera flash. Notice hand/gun motion from long exposure. Actually the hands and gun were not even visible in the shot as it came out of the camera, I had to pull up the dark areas to get them to show up. This affected the fire ball in its quality. Hard thing to capture.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Well, at least the 'Mrs.' carries the trusty-dusty Model-60 as a reliable back-up.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Any possibility the round was previously damaged and not noticed when loading the magazine?
    My first thought too.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The mouth of the casing kinda got push back on the bottom edge of the chamber after going up the feed ramp. The now deformed casing would not fully seat into the chamber. Don't know how I would have ever gotten it out if it had gone in further/tighter.
    same thing happy to me using some American Eagle range fodder. One got hung up and the casing edge was missing a little piece. l However like you did I not expect the casing prior to firing to notice any imperfections of the casing.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Well I've got 200 more rounds in stock of that WWB and it will be the last of it I shoot. I've check the 200 this morning and they all chamber check ok so those will be the next to go. I'll replace them in stock with something else.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Lately I've been buying the Federal FMJ stuff from Walmart. I seems to be a little more reliable.

When I use cheap ammo (WWB) and have a FTL/FTE issue, it doesn't raise as many red flags as, say, I was using HST's or Gold Dots.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Friends don't let friends use Winchester White Box.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links