First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall

This is a discussion on First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tkruf Well that's what I was doing. It got pretty darn cold out there too. My hands were freezing. I was a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Well that's what I was doing. It got pretty darn cold out there too. My hands were freezing. I was a bit further in front of where I stood on this shot because I have tinted windows (figured dark background) but the glass was getting sky reflection on it, so I moved back a couple steps and put the dark interior of the vehicle behind me. Flash lit that up. Slow exposures just cause motion blur with the gun and my hands. No flash meant I couldn't freeze motion of the gun. Photography is my "other" hobby, so I'm pretty familiar with it. It's just hard to get "dark" "motion freeze" "focus" and everything when trying to work both behind the camera and in front of the camera and achieve that.

Here is the 2nd best shot I got. No camera flash. Notice hand/gun motion from long exposure. Actually the hands and gun were not even visible in the shot as it came out of the camera, I had to pull up the dark areas to get them to show up. This affected the fire ball in its quality. Hard thing to capture.

I like it. I'm not a very good photographer. I know nights shots are much more difficult. I have an old college friend that became a pretty well know for his lighting. I helped him once. I think we spent at least 8 hours trying to get a few good shots. Finally, he said, well the light is wrong. We'll have to try another time. It seems to me that he was using a couple of separate strobes on tripods. That was back in the day of film and he was using a large format Hasselblad.

Your shots are looking good!
    I think you are going to need something that shoots .357Sig or similar for a really nice muzzle flash.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

We weren't doing drills. Actually I was going to fire a string of 3 or 4 rounds while my camera was taking multiple exposures. This happened after the first round fired. None of the pics turned out anyway. Just couldn't get the exposure I wanted.
    It doesn't matter if you were "doing drills" or not.

When the gun fails, either get it up and running quickly, or drop it and fire a second gun. The life you save by maintaining this skill could be your own or a loved one's. This was the perfect training opportunity, as it was an unplanned event, much like an armed encounter.

Biker

VIP Member
    It may be WWB, but I have personally shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of the stuff without a problem. I don't care who the manufacturer is, every now and then ammo can have a slight issue. I would not worry about how clean it was, unless you had not cleaned it after you purchased it. I would watch it though as it may be an issue with the Glock. Odd's are it's not though.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    It may be WWB, but I have personally shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of the stuff without a problem. I don't care who the manufacturer is, every now and then ammo can have a slight issue. I would not worry about how clean it was, unless you had not cleaned it after you purchased it. I would watch it though as it may be an issue with the Glock. Odd's are it's not though.
    I can't say that I have had any problems with WWB either. I do know that some is being made out of the country. I doubt that would affect quality but I guess it is possible.
    It is far more likely that a problem will be discovered with any gun when new rather than after a couple thousand rounds. A part failure or manufacturing flaw cannot be ruled out.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Administrator
    I would never rate the functional reliability of any semi-auto based solely on how it functioned with WWB.

Some folks have great luck with it but, I never have.

kpw
    I've had better luck with WWB and S&B than AE or UMC. Especially in .45 but I'll still shoot any of it when a deal comes along. Eventually they all have a boogered round in the box.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I hate these kind of posts. Not because it is bashing a Glock, but because people always find a reason to disregard a Glock malfunction. There is no gun in this world that is 100% reliable and that never fails. Sure, there are handguns that are more reliable than others and Glock is definitely on the top of that list, but let's just accept the fact that even Glocks fail from time to time. I hate when someone posts a failure of a Glock pistol and then they start questioning the shooter's grip, the type of ammo used, if the gun was clean and lubed, etc. Blah blah blah! Bottom line is, if the gun failed it failed...period! Even Glocks fail.

Here's some articles about Glock malfunctions.

http://www.theledger.com/article/200...NEWS/803130481
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ioning-pistol/
    http://g36mf.blogspot.com/

Let the bashing begin!!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I too question the gun(gasp). The OP's wife (pink lady) is also having a issue with ejection with the same gun. Just as some are quick to bash, some my be quick to say "no way". If this was a Taurus the howling would be 3 or 4 pages long by now. To all the koolaid drinks I say "try and be objective", there really is no such thing as "perfection".

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I too question the gun(gasp). The OP's wife (pink lady) is also having a issue with ejection with the same gun. Just as some are quick to bash, some my be quick to say "no way". If this was a Taurus the howling would be 3 or 4 pages long by now. To all the koolaid drinks I say "try and be objective", there really is no such thing as "perfection".
    I'm glad there is someone out there that does question the Glock. When I first decided to purchase a handgun I went to my local range in Costa Rica and rented out a Sig Sauer P250, a Smith & Wesson M&P9, a Taurus 1911, a Gen 3 Glock 17 and a S&W .38+P revolver. I tried out all the guns and I only had a problem with the Glock 17 since I had 3 FTE when I shot 50 rounds with it. I went to the sales desk and told the clerk that this Glock was not working properly. All three men at the counter laughed at me and told me NO WAY and said it must have been the ammo I was using (brand new box of Remington UMC) or that I was limp wristing the pistol. So I purchased a box of 25 rounds of Sellier & Bellot which they recommended, I paid special attention to my grip while shooting and ended up having 1 FTE. I called the guy and told him...same thing. He looked at me like I was dumb and said, here let me show you. He picked up a box of ammo and proceeded to shoot 25 rounds and had 2 FTE!!!!! LOL!

Anyhow, Glock does fail from time to time but yes, it does fail LESS than other handguns. I just hate that everyone thinks that they will NEVER fail and that are PERFECT. I like Glocks and I'll probably buy one eventually since I'm a firearm addict, but as of now I prefer to trust my conceal carry rotation of an HK USP Compact 40 S&W, a Walther P99 9mm, a Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP and my pocket rocket S&W 442 38+P.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Senior Moderator
    IMHO, the round must have been defective. There's just no way the recoil spring has the power to deform the brass like that.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I'm glad there is someone out there that does question the Glock. When I first decided to purchase a handgun I went to my local range in Costa Rica and rented out a Sig Sauer P250, a Smith & Wesson M&P9, a Taurus 1911, a Gen 3 Glock 17 and a S&W .38+P revolver. I tried out all the guns and I only had a problem with the Glock 17 since I had 3 FTE when I shot 50 rounds with it. I went to the sales desk and told the clerk that this Glock was not working properly. All three men at the counter laughed at me and told me NO WAY and said it must have been the ammo I was using (brand new box of Remington UMC) or that I was limp wristing the pistol. So I purchased a box of 25 rounds of Sellier & Bellot which they recommended, I paid special attention to my grip while shooting and ended up having 1 FTE. I called the guy and told him...same thing. He looked at me like I was dumb and said, here let me show you. He picked up a box of ammo and proceeded to shoot 25 rounds and had 2 FTE!!!!! LOL!

Anyhow, Glock does fail from time to time but yes, it does fail LESS than other handguns. I just hate that everyone thinks that they will NEVER fail and that are PERFECT. I like Glocks and I'll probably buy one eventually since I'm a firearm addict, but as of now I prefer to trust my conceal carry rotation of an HK USP Compact 40 S&W, a Walther P99 9mm, a Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP and my pocket rocket S&W 442 38+P.
    There are some problems with Glock Gen 4, specifically the G19 9 mm. The recoil spring is being redesigned but the part still does not exist. Meanwhile, the company sends 02 springs that don't fit.

All firearms manufacturers have problems from time to time and Glock is no exception.
    - Zen Saying

Here is a pic of the bullet that was jammed in the chamber.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Moderator
    Here is a pic of the bullet that was jammed in the chamber.

Bad ammo. It has to have come out of the box like that. The recoil spring just doesn't have the power to do that to a case.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thanks MattInFla. I will keep a closer eye on the ammo. This one could have slipped by me when I loaded it. I too find it unimaginable that that could have happened during chambering of the round.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

RKM
    I have seen some messed empty casings when I go to pick them up. The open end (where the bullet was) ends up looking like a D. But I've never had a failure in ANY of my guns. Except my Glock 30 experienced a stovepipe one time. I stressed about it for a few days, went shooting again and haven't had another issue since. I still trust the gun 99%. Even the guns that haven't had a failure I only trust 99% because.....

ALL weapons may fail... even AK's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links