First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall

This is a discussion on First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tkruf Well that's what I was doing. It got pretty darn cold out there too. My hands were freezing. I was a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63

Thread: First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall

  1. #31
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,294
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Well that's what I was doing. It got pretty darn cold out there too. My hands were freezing. I was a bit further in front of where I stood on this shot because I have tinted windows (figured dark background) but the glass was getting sky reflection on it, so I moved back a couple steps and put the dark interior of the vehicle behind me. Flash lit that up. Slow exposures just cause motion blur with the gun and my hands. No flash meant I couldn't freeze motion of the gun. Photography is my "other" hobby, so I'm pretty familiar with it. It's just hard to get "dark" "motion freeze" "focus" and everything when trying to work both behind the camera and in front of the camera and achieve that.

    Here is the 2nd best shot I got. No camera flash. Notice hand/gun motion from long exposure. Actually the hands and gun were not even visible in the shot as it came out of the camera, I had to pull up the dark areas to get them to show up. This affected the fire ball in its quality. Hard thing to capture.

    I like it. I'm not a very good photographer. I know nights shots are much more difficult. I have an old college friend that became a pretty well know for his lighting. I helped him once. I think we spent at least 8 hours trying to get a few good shots. Finally, he said, well the light is wrong. We'll have to try another time. It seems to me that he was using a couple of separate strobes on tripods. That was back in the day of film and he was using a large format Hasselblad.

    Your shots are looking good!
    I think you are going to need something that shoots .357Sig or similar for a really nice muzzle flash.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    We weren't doing drills. Actually I was going to fire a string of 3 or 4 rounds while my camera was taking multiple exposures. This happened after the first round fired. None of the pics turned out anyway. Just couldn't get the exposure I wanted.
    It doesn't matter if you were "doing drills" or not.

    When the gun fails, either get it up and running quickly, or drop it and fire a second gun. The life you save by maintaining this skill could be your own or a loved one's. This was the perfect training opportunity, as it was an unplanned event, much like an armed encounter.

    Biker

  4. #33
    VIP Member
    Array C hawk Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    W. Washington
    Posts
    3,552
    It may be WWB, but I have personally shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of the stuff without a problem. I don't care who the manufacturer is, every now and then ammo can have a slight issue. I would not worry about how clean it was, unless you had not cleaned it after you purchased it. I would watch it though as it may be an issue with the Glock. Odd's are it's not though.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

  5. #34
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,294
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    It may be WWB, but I have personally shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of the stuff without a problem. I don't care who the manufacturer is, every now and then ammo can have a slight issue. I would not worry about how clean it was, unless you had not cleaned it after you purchased it. I would watch it though as it may be an issue with the Glock. Odd's are it's not though.
    I can't say that I have had any problems with WWB either. I do know that some is being made out of the country. I doubt that would affect quality but I guess it is possible.
    It is far more likely that a problem will be discovered with any gun when new rather than after a couple thousand rounds. A part failure or manufacturing flaw cannot be ruled out.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  6. #35
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,303
    I would never rate the functional reliability of any semi-auto based solely on how it functioned with WWB.

    Some folks have great luck with it but, I never have.

  7. #36
    kpw
    kpw is offline
    VIP Member Array kpw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,149
    I've had better luck with WWB and S&B than AE or UMC. Especially in .45 but I'll still shoot any of it when a deal comes along. Eventually they all have a boogered round in the box.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

  8. #37
    Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,232
    I hate these kind of posts. Not because it is bashing a Glock, but because people always find a reason to disregard a Glock malfunction. There is no gun in this world that is 100% reliable and that never fails. Sure, there are handguns that are more reliable than others and Glock is definitely on the top of that list, but let's just accept the fact that even Glocks fail from time to time. I hate when someone posts a failure of a Glock pistol and then they start questioning the shooter's grip, the type of ammo used, if the gun was clean and lubed, etc. Blah blah blah! Bottom line is, if the gun failed it failed...period! Even Glocks fail.

    Here's some articles about Glock malfunctions.

    http://www.theledger.com/article/200...NEWS/803130481
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ioning-pistol/
    http://g36mf.blogspot.com/

    Let the bashing begin!!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

  9. #38
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    I too question the gun(gasp). The OP's wife (pink lady) is also having a issue with ejection with the same gun. Just as some are quick to bash, some my be quick to say "no way". If this was a Taurus the howling would be 3 or 4 pages long by now. To all the koolaid drinks I say "try and be objective", there really is no such thing as "perfection".

  10. #39
    Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I too question the gun(gasp). The OP's wife (pink lady) is also having a issue with ejection with the same gun. Just as some are quick to bash, some my be quick to say "no way". If this was a Taurus the howling would be 3 or 4 pages long by now. To all the koolaid drinks I say "try and be objective", there really is no such thing as "perfection".
    I'm glad there is someone out there that does question the Glock. When I first decided to purchase a handgun I went to my local range in Costa Rica and rented out a Sig Sauer P250, a Smith & Wesson M&P9, a Taurus 1911, a Gen 3 Glock 17 and a S&W .38+P revolver. I tried out all the guns and I only had a problem with the Glock 17 since I had 3 FTE when I shot 50 rounds with it. I went to the sales desk and told the clerk that this Glock was not working properly. All three men at the counter laughed at me and told me NO WAY and said it must have been the ammo I was using (brand new box of Remington UMC) or that I was limp wristing the pistol. So I purchased a box of 25 rounds of Sellier & Bellot which they recommended, I paid special attention to my grip while shooting and ended up having 1 FTE. I called the guy and told him...same thing. He looked at me like I was dumb and said, here let me show you. He picked up a box of ammo and proceeded to shoot 25 rounds and had 2 FTE!!!!! LOL!

    Anyhow, Glock does fail from time to time but yes, it does fail LESS than other handguns. I just hate that everyone thinks that they will NEVER fail and that are PERFECT. I like Glocks and I'll probably buy one eventually since I'm a firearm addict, but as of now I prefer to trust my conceal carry rotation of an HK USP Compact 40 S&W, a Walther P99 9mm, a Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP and my pocket rocket S&W 442 38+P.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

  11. #40
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    IMHO, the round must have been defective. There's just no way the recoil spring has the power to deform the brass like that.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  12. #41
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,294
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I'm glad there is someone out there that does question the Glock. When I first decided to purchase a handgun I went to my local range in Costa Rica and rented out a Sig Sauer P250, a Smith & Wesson M&P9, a Taurus 1911, a Gen 3 Glock 17 and a S&W .38+P revolver. I tried out all the guns and I only had a problem with the Glock 17 since I had 3 FTE when I shot 50 rounds with it. I went to the sales desk and told the clerk that this Glock was not working properly. All three men at the counter laughed at me and told me NO WAY and said it must have been the ammo I was using (brand new box of Remington UMC) or that I was limp wristing the pistol. So I purchased a box of 25 rounds of Sellier & Bellot which they recommended, I paid special attention to my grip while shooting and ended up having 1 FTE. I called the guy and told him...same thing. He looked at me like I was dumb and said, here let me show you. He picked up a box of ammo and proceeded to shoot 25 rounds and had 2 FTE!!!!! LOL!

    Anyhow, Glock does fail from time to time but yes, it does fail LESS than other handguns. I just hate that everyone thinks that they will NEVER fail and that are PERFECT. I like Glocks and I'll probably buy one eventually since I'm a firearm addict, but as of now I prefer to trust my conceal carry rotation of an HK USP Compact 40 S&W, a Walther P99 9mm, a Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP and my pocket rocket S&W 442 38+P.
    There are some problems with Glock Gen 4, specifically the G19 9 mm. The recoil spring is being redesigned but the part still does not exist. Meanwhile, the company sends 02 springs that don't fit.

    All firearms manufacturers have problems from time to time and Glock is no exception.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  13. #42
    VIP Member Array tkruf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Really SW, Virginia
    Posts
    4,709
    Here is a pic of the bullet that was jammed in the chamber.

    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

  14. #43
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Here is a pic of the bullet that was jammed in the chamber.

    Bad ammo. It has to have come out of the box like that. The recoil spring just doesn't have the power to do that to a case.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  15. #44
    VIP Member Array tkruf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Really SW, Virginia
    Posts
    4,709
    Thanks MattInFla. I will keep a closer eye on the ammo. This one could have slipped by me when I loaded it. I too find it unimaginable that that could have happened during chambering of the round.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

  16. #45
    RKM
    RKM is offline
    Distinguished Member Array RKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,825
    I have seen some messed empty casings when I go to pick them up. The open end (where the bullet was) ends up looking like a D. But I've never had a failure in ANY of my guns. Except my Glock 30 experienced a stovepipe one time. I stressed about it for a few days, went shooting again and haven't had another issue since. I still trust the gun 99%. Even the guns that haven't had a failure I only trust 99% because.....

    ALL weapons may fail... even AK's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Glock 23 Failure to feed on last round update
    By BarneyC in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM
  2. Glock 30, Failure To Extract
    By RKM in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: May 27th, 2010, 11:24 PM
  3. Glock 23 Failure to Feed on Last Round
    By BarneyC in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: March 29th, 2010, 04:52 PM
  4. Iowa: Two Shall Issue Bills Introduced. See Post 22 for Update.
    By JD in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: January 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
  5. Glock failure to feed
    By ExactlyMyPoint in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 24th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Search tags for this page

glock 19 ammo
,
glock 19 fail to eject
,
glock 19 failure
,

glock 19 failure to eject

,
glock 19 failure to extract
,
glock 19 failures
,
glock 19 gen 4 fte
,
glock 19 gen 4 recoil spring
,
glock failure to eject
,

glock failure to extract

,
jump or stripping marks of the bullets
,
rob pincus glock gen 4
Click on a term to search for related topics.