First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall - Page 4

First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall

This is a discussion on First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by RKM I have seen some messed empty casings when I go to pick them up. The open end (where the bullet was) ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I have seen some messed empty casings when I go to pick them up. The open end (where the bullet was) ends up looking like a D. But I've never had a failure in ANY of my guns. Except my Glock 30 experienced a stovepipe one time. I stressed about it for a few days, went shooting again and haven't had another issue since. I still trust the gun 99%. Even the guns that haven't had a failure I only trust 99% because.....

ALL weapons may fail... even AK's
    Yeah, I know, any weapon could fail. I'm not stressing over it. Just looking for possibilities of what might have been the issue so I can take appropriate action. If I feel it was the gun, then I will not hesitate to send it to Smyrna and have it fixed. If it turns out it was just a bad round, then great.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

That happens when the bullet catches the edge of the brass while setting it. Usually it shaves the jacket, but sometimes you see this too.

Rob Pincus showed me the best thing ever when it comes to "stuck in the chamber" jams--Point the gun down range, hold the gun in the left hand by the slide, HARD. With the right hand, slap the grip and grab it as it strikes. The first slap should free up the chamber, but it may take 2-3 slaps. Never seen it NOT work, and it's safer than a lot of alternatives.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    That happens when the bullet catches the edge of the brass while setting it. Usually it shaves the jacket, but sometimes you see this too.

Rob Pincus showed me the best thing ever when it comes to "stuck in the chamber" jams--Point the gun down range, hold the gun in the left hand by the slide, HARD. With the right hand, slap the grip and grab it as it strikes. The first slap should free up the chamber, but it may take 2-3 slaps. Never seen it NOT work, and it's safer than a lot of alternatives.
    Kinda what I did, but didn't slap it. I just tried racking it but gave more thrust on it than usual. That didn't seem to help but after a couple times of that, then I just grabbed the slide as tight as I could with my left hand, grabbed the grip with right and gave it all I had for a few seconds and it racked...the bullet popped out. Of course I stripped the gun down real quick and check the chamber for damage. I just love the way a Glock field strips so easily.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Here is a pic of the bullet that was jammed in the chamber.

that is exactly the way mine looked when it jammed, it was American Eagle 124 Gr though

I couldn't clear it properly. The slide was so tight, I need to practice that, took me way too long to clear.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I would pull that bullet out of the case and see if it has marks on the bullet under the case on the back side edge were it would have grabbed the edge of the case as the bullet was pressed into it.
    If so you could say it was loaded wrong and not the guns fault.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    I would pull that bullet out of the case and see if it has marks on the bullet under the case on the back side edge were it would have grabbed the edge of the case as the bullet was pressed into it.
    If so you could say it was loaded wrong and not the guns fault.

Here is the proof. Bullet grabbed the case as it was seated, rolling the case lip under.

Here is corresponding mark on the back side of the bullet.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

G19 didn't fail - Got the proof (pic)

Here is the offending bullet again WWB. I took the bullet out of the case and here is the mark on the bottom of the bullet where it caught the casing because it wasn't flared enough.

Bad round. I didn't feel or see the damaged round when I loaded it in the magazine. From now on I check all my rounds.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Glad to see you got to the root cause of the problem. Thats an uneasy feeling when that happens and there is no smoking gun---no pun intended--- I hadnt checked my practice ammo very close in the past, but will start to look closer after what happened to you.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

I love your tenacity on running this to the ground. 'Great detective work. I'll be paying much closer attention to my carry rounds in the future.

Glad you figure it out!!! It sure gives you some peace of mind to know why it happened. All practice ammo is relatively inexpensive for a reason, and I am not surprised by an occasional issue with it as a result. You still don't want it to be dangerous or cause damage to your weapon. My opinion, it seems WWB is more prone than others to issues. Good idea to check carry ammo. Good work to figure it out!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

That's the reason why we need to develop "the mind set" when firing, and practicing (what could be an instrument of life preservation), and Mr. Murphy pays a visit.

When I fire and experience a malfunction, I don't get the magnifying glass out on my weapon before "clearing the malfunction" with a tap n rack from whatever you happenned to be firing. Glock or no Glock, ALWAYS expect the unexpected, and prepare. ALL MACHINES FAIL!.....eventually..

I hope you gain your trust back from your Glock, because I will tell you. That's an excellent weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbahoundog View Post
    That's the reason why we need to develop "the mind set" when firing, and practicing (what could be an instrument of life preservation), and Mr. Murphy pays a visit.

When I fire and experience a malfunction, I don't get the magnifying glass out on my weapon before "clearing the malfunction" with a tap n rack from whatever you happenned to be firing. Glock or no Glock, ALWAYS expect the unexpected, and prepare. ALL MACHINES FAIL!.....eventually..

I hope you gain your trust back from your Glock, because I will tell you. That's an excellent weapon.
    Believe me, I never lost trust in the Glock. I found this failure hard to believe, because if a Glock fails, "this" is typically not the type of failure you see. I knew there had to be a reason. That's why I put it up on the board, so I could get suggestions, possibilities, etc and maybe figure it out.

I'm glad I did and I thank everyone here on the board for all the input.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Now I wish I would have taken that AE round home with me so I could check :/. Ah well...i'll see if it ever happens again
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

For as long as I've been carrying I've checked my defense ammo by stripping whatever gun I was using and dropping each round into the barrel to make sure it fits. Same with revolver cylinders. It doesn't take much time to test 30 or so rounds from a Glock, much less 16 for a 1911.

Never would have thought to do it with practice ammo that I didn't load though.

Anybody else check their ammo this way, or am I paranoid. I can only remember finding one bad factory defense round doing this, a Federal 9mm with an upside down primer. Federal missed it but I didn't.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I hate to say it..... But I told ya so! Lol when I saw that crinckled case in the last pic I knew exactly what happened. But there's nothing like the piece of mind one gets from reaching your own conclusion.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links