First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall

This is a discussion on First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today the Pinklady and I went and shot the G19 to adjust the new night sights (see my other post about that). After doing that, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Failure with Glock 19; UPDATE, ammo issue afterall

Today the Pinklady and I went and shot the G19 to adjust the new night sights (see my other post about that). After doing that, we had some other errands to run and things to take care of, then we decided to go back up to the range and shoot some more. Two reasons for this: First we just wanted to shoot some more. Second, I wanted to take my camera up and try to get some shots of the muzzle blast (fire ball) at night time.

Two things about this trip.

One: I set up my camera on a tripod and used the timer (so neither of us would be anywhere near the front of the firearm). I tried different exposure lengths, with and without flash, just couldn't seem to get a decent shot like I wanted to get. So...so much for that.

Two: We had our first failure with the G19. I was firing in front of the camera. Pulled trigger, round went off, then the trigger did not reset was the first thing I noticed. Looked at the gun and the slide was not all the way forward. I could see about 1/4 inch worth of brass through the top of the slide opening.
    It took every bit of strength I had to pull the slide back and eject the "unfired" round that did not feed. What happened? When I fired, it ejected the spent casing, and stripped the next round (WWB ammo) from the magazine and for some reason the casing mouth got bent as it entered the chamber. The mouth of the casing kinda got push back on the bottom edge of the chamber after going up the feed ramp. The now deformed casing would not fully seat into the chamber. Don't know how I would have ever gotten it out if it had gone in further/tighter.

This was within the first 220 rounds through the gun. Somewhere around the 210th round.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 26th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Any possibility the round was previously damaged and not noticed when loading the magazine?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Any possibility the round was previously damaged and not noticed when loading the magazine?
    That "is" possible. What if it was inserted in the magazine but not pushed all the way back. Could that cause this?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Unlikely. If you were shooting generic ammo (Win white box, Rem UMC, Fed American Eagle, or foreign stuff) I would suspect inconsistent ammo quality. If you were shooting high-dollar defensive rounds, I'd be surprised (and I'd also want you to hire me as your gun caddy).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I dislike to hear this. There is a reason however, and I won't venture to guess. Proper loading of the magazine, limp-wristing, or the ammo.
    Thing is....what do you do in case of a failure? Do you stop and assess, or do you tap/rack/bang? The failure can be looked at in retrospect, nobody knows at this point. Point is, keep shooting, and don't let one failure take you back too far.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Unlikely. If you were shooting generic ammo (Win white box, Rem UMC, Fed American Eagle, or foreign stuff) I would suspect inconsistent ammo quality. If you were shooting high-dollar defensive rounds, I'd be surprised (and I'd also want you to hire me as your gun caddy).
    Win White Box. Gun Caddy? (Here we need smiley face man scratching head)
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

So you immediately drew your BUG and kept firing...right?

Point is that any gun can fail...ammo can fail...mags can fail. I actually stepped down from a 9mm to a .380 - so I could carry two of them.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I dislike to hear this. There is a reason however, and I won't venture to guess. Proper loading of the magazine, limp-wristing, or the ammo.
    Thing is....what do you do in case of a failure? Do you stop and assess, or do you tap/rack/bang? The failure can be looked at in retrospect, nobody knows at this point. Point is, keep shooting, and don't let one failure take you back too far.
    I thought it could be that round didn't get pushed back rearward into the magazine. Gasmitty says it's unlikely. Limp wristing - not me. That leaves it to Win White Box ammo.

As soon as I pulled the trigger on the "previous" round, that round was ejected, the "bad" round was then stripped from the magazine and did not make it fully into the chamber for some reason. Trigger did not reset, this is how I knew something was amiss. I tapped, but could not rack. The slide was jammed because the round was stuck in the chamber (half way that is), and the extractor had a grip on it. I had to try several times with all I had before I was able to pull the slide back and the "bad" round was ejected.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So you immediately drew your BUG and kept firing...right?

Point is that any gun can fail...ammo can fail...mags can fail. I actually stepped down from a 9mm to a .380 - so I could carry two of them.
    We weren't doing drills. Actually I was going to fire a string of 3 or 4 rounds while my camera was taking multiple exposures. This happened after the first round fired. None of the pics turned out anyway. Just couldn't get the exposure I wanted.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Over the span of several high-round training courses, I've seen Winchester "white box" ammo puke in 5.56, 9mm, .40 and .45. The greater probability of failure seems to be with Winchester's non-US sources - the Serbian (?) and Israeli-made stuff, but not to the exclusion of US-made ammo.

Don't get wrapped around the axle about one failure using low-cost training ammo. If it happens a lot, that's a different story.

My crack about "gun caddy" was that if you had the money to go launching a couple hundred defense rounds downrange in one session, you have enough to hire me to be your gun caddy... and I'll even call you B'wana!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I've seen issues with the WWB 45acp ammo and nothing else. Caught it before I loaded the magazines. Box glue dripped down on the casings. Posted this a couple of years ago.
    Like I said.......I really wish you and pinklady lived closer. We'd make a day at the range with the Glocks, and the girls could talk while we shoot. My wife would enjoy that.

VIP Member
    Two possible reasons (there are of course others):

1. The gun needs cleaning and lub.

2. We are only two days past a full moon.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've seen issues with the WWB 45acp ammo and nothing else. Caught it before I loaded the magazines. Box glue dripped down on the casings. Posted this a couple of years ago.
    Like I said.......I really wish you and pinklady lived closer. We'd make a day at the range with the Glocks, and the girls could talk while we shoot. My wife would enjoy that.
    Yeah that would be nice if we lived closer, but Pinklady likes to shoot too!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Two possible reasons (there are of course others):

1. The gun needs cleaning and lub.

2. We are only two days past a full moon.
    Must be reason number 2. It was shot first time 130 rounds. Cleaned and lubed. Then taken out today. 100 rounds earlier in the day and about 90 rounds this evening. Glocks go a lot longer than that without cleaning and lubing.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Yeah that would be nice if we lived closer, but Pinklady likes to shoot too!
    So does my wife.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links