Defensive Carry banner

Paper plates as targets not working

6K views 57 replies 41 participants last post by  RemMod597 
#1 ·
I was trying to set up targets at the range. I cut some cardboard and attached them to target stands. I then tried to staple paper plates to the cardboard but no matter what I did I could not get them to stay stapled in. I tried both sides of the plates, but noting worked. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
You could use thumbtacks or masking tape.

#6 ·
I have discovered 3" square post-it notes make great targets. Self-stick, easy replace, inexpensive. No tape or staples necessary.

For paper plates, simply take duct tape and make a loop sticky-side out and put on the back. It doesn't need to be a big loop to hold it, or make several small loops and spread them out.

#9 ·
... no matter what I did I could not get them to stay stapled in. I tried both sides of the plates, but noting worked. Any suggestions?
Stapling the plates face down seems to work for me.

I've had certain staples not work previously. While I can't see much difference in the staples from one type to another, it's almost as though some have more grip on the material they are stapled into. Construction staples can have biting surfaces on larger staples, sure, but generally the puny stuff we use at the range is "straight" (unadorned with the 'grippy' surfaces).

And, too, I have noticed that on humid or wetter days, cardboard can be less grippy itself. On hotter, dry days, stapling targets into the cardboard surfaces does absolutely work better. Over on the 300yd rifle range, for example, the large boards used get wet and flimsier over time. On the bad ones, staples definitely have a tough time holding on. Same should be true with the lighter cardboard (ie, NRA B-27 or IPSC) targets, on wetter days.

#10 ·
I use a tube of Elmer's craft glue to stick anything I shoot at onto a cardboard backing, then staple that to the target board. The glue works great. I usually make up 10 or so at a time.

#11 ·
What kind of stapler are you using? I have an el cheapo stapler from WalMart that I use to staple chicken wire around anywhere I please......I couldn't imagine having trouble staping plates to cardboard, if I can staple wire to wood with ease.
Course nothin wrong with good ole Duct tape!

#14 ·
It's not. Use tape. It fits in your pocket.

#23 ·
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ok, totally off topic, but this thread really made me crack up this morning.

On topic: Did trying any of the methods work EMP? Or are you still having trouble with them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.