"Department of Just Us" - concealed guns for some, but not for thee…

This is a discussion on "Department of Just Us" - concealed guns for some, but not for thee… within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This story has a good ending but offers several insights. 1: The press once again fawns over a LEO or agent of the state. Were ...

Thread: "Department of Just Us" - concealed guns for some, but not for thee…

VIP Member

"Department of Just Us" - concealed guns for some, but not for thee…

This story has a good ending but offers several insights.

1: The press once again fawns over a LEO or agent of the state.
    Were the patron a permit holder you would've seen more inflammatory language like "took the law into his own hands" and "risked the lives of the other bar patrons". Instead we have:

"As the gunman reached down to pick it up, the officer slowly withdrew his weapon, Evers said. The officer fired several shots at the thugs, hitting one, later identified by police as Joseph Orr, 20. The men ran from the bar with $1,000 from the register and a wallet containing one of the officers' badge and identification.
    Nowhere does the article attributed to Philadelphia Newspapers mention risk to the other patrons. No mention is made what the off-duty officers were doing in the bar, whether or not they were drinking (alcohol) which may have impaired their judgment.

2) None of the patrons were interviewed/qouted by the press in the story… nor the Tavern staff - why is that? Once again, apply the scene to a permit holder and the standard by which we are treated by the press and they would be interviewing everyone under the sun - "Did you know the bar patrons had guns?" "Do you allow people to drink with guns?" etc. Yet we see none of these tough questions.

One glaring example of how a situation can go really wrong in seconds and all the good choices are gone.

I don't doubt that the shooting was justified. Nor do I question that the officers han the obligation to intervene. However, rather if you read the report in context it leaves several unanswered questions. Questions that would have been asked were the shooter a permit holder not an officer.

I applaud the officers -- but condemn The Philadelphia Daily News and the rest of the MSM and the Philadelphia PD brass who flaunt the State's Must Issue Law.

http://www.policeone.com/suspect-pur...was-in-the-bar
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Ditto

VIP Member
    Quick thinking on the officer with the pistol pointed at his head. WoW!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Wow, that's strange. When I was teaching, I got pretty friendly with the school cop. He was plain clothes but a full time detective, juvenile officer in the city police dept. Half his salary was paid by the school dist. On friday's, after school, I would often accompany him to the station where we would shoot at the range they had, then we would stop and have a few beers before going home. He always removed his gun, usually an ankle holster and locked it in the trunk before we went into the bar. I asked him about police being armed all the time. He told me they were not allowed to carry in bars if they were in there socially. But that was in the Communist state of IL.

VIP Member
    FWIIW, in Virginia it is legal for LEOs to carry concealed and drink. However, many (if not most) PDs have internal rules/regs against it.

I (as a CHP holder) have been armed (CCing) in establishments that serve alcohol while in the presents of armed LEO and none of us drank. OTOH, I have had a beer with dinner (OCing) with LEOs who also had a beer, while CCing.

The pattern varies from PD to PD.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links