Online firearm auction sites - Legit?

This is a discussion on Online firearm auction sites - Legit? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In my now seemingly endless search for a second Baby Eagle, I have been perusing Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, AuctionArms, and ArmsList (.com). Gunbroker I have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online firearm auction sites - Legit?

In my now seemingly endless search for a second Baby Eagle, I have been perusing Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, AuctionArms, and ArmsList (.com).

Gunbroker I have a little confidence in, but the others I am a little sketchy about.

Anybody have any experience with the others? ArmsList looks a bit like a Craigslist version for firearms. Not even sure how one would go about safely completing a transaction with an "out of state" private party.

Anybody have any experience with these sites?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I used GunsAmerica for two Kahr PM9's, and I was very happy with both transactions and the way it all worked out. Only one thing I would have done differently, and that was read the ad more closely -- I ended up paying a shipping charge on one when I bought it from a gun shop that I had occaision to drive right past (200 miles to the South of me) within a week of buying it online. But GunsAmerica worked just fine for me.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've completed numerous transactions on gunbroker and several on gunsamerica. I've never had a single problem.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Can't help you much except with Gunbroker I have spent thousands on there without problem, knock wood. I looked at auction arms and did not see any good deals. I can't log into guns america or the other one from here.

Just trust your feelings and check and double check before sending money.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

It's not an auction site, and although I've only bought retail from their Brick & Mortar store, these folks have some great prices as compared to my other retail choices:

http://www.traderjerry.com/firearms-...=7&sort=2a

I will only really consider Gunbroker. Just me. the others look a little less quality.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I've used gunbroker & Auction Arms with good results

Same here.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

NB !!!! : USE a Credit Card!

For any auction site for anything USE A CREDIT CARD or if the seller doesn't have that capability use GunPal or even PayPal with a disguised description for the item you're buying (they are not keen on private gun sales payments). If the seller won't agree to accept those Credit C. or CC-based payment systems, pass. I know well - not with a gun but with an expensive camera on Ebay - the site itself will not help you if you get screwed with a sale, but your Credit Card company will - they will simply lift the money from the seller's bank and credit your account, all legal, if you win a complaint with your C.C.

. Save all documentation, all correspondence until you receive and are satisfied with your purchase - and DO NOT use M.O. or checks. You are sending cash for all intents and purposes to someone you don't know. Only use a credit card based payment.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    For any auction site for anything USE A CREDIT CARD or if the seller doesn't have that capability use GunPal or even PayPal with a disguised description for the item you're buying (they are not keen on private gun sales payments). If the seller won't agree to accept those Credit C. or CC-based payment systems, pass. I know well - not with a gun but with an expensive camera on Ebay - the site itself will not help you if you get screwed with a sale, but your Credit Card company will - they will simply lift the money from the seller's bank and credit your account, all legal, if you win a complaint with your C.C.

. Save all documentation, all correspondence until you receive and are satisfied with your purchase - and DO NOT use M.O. or checks. You are sending cash for all intents and purposes to someone you don't know. Only use a credit card based payment.
    That is common sense for any "Net" transaction regardless of what you are buying.

Only way it would be cash/MO/Check would be an in person transaction and I have inspected the item and took possession at time of transfer.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I was told that if you use a United states postal service money order and the seller frauds you and cashes it. It is considered a federal offence.

My best advice is to stick with sellers that have a very strong seller rating and stay away from used guns. You don't want to purchase someone elses gun that is malfunctoning. That "good deal" isn't so good when you have to take it to the gunsmith and have it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    I... and stay away from used guns. You don't want to purchase someone elses gun that is malfunctoning. That "good deal" isn't so good when you have to take it to the gunsmith and have it fixed.
    Well, when the firearm that you want is no-longer imported, your options get a little thin. I have yet to find another carry that I like the feel of, let alone fire. I am a bit brand loyal on this one.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

I've used gunbroker with excellent results. Of course, one should always check budsgunshop.com (which I 've also used with favorable outcome).

I've bought and sold, mostly sold, on GunBroker. GB is not the seller--you have to understand that GB, like eBay, is only providing a forum for the transaction to occur. Thus, each buyer should do due diligence on the seller.

Also, don't use GunPal/GPal for anything. It's looking like a giant Ponzi scheme, and I and lots of others are out lots of money.
    Visit my Winchester Ranger Talon page for current pricing.

I have used both Gunbroker and GunsAmerica and had no problems at all. Unfortunately I had a problem with AuctionArms, so I don't recommend them.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links