I need 22lr advice

I need 22lr advice

This is a discussion on I need 22lr advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like a lot of people I don't get to shoot as much as I would like. Also like a lot of other people this is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need 22lr advice

I need 22lr advice

Like a lot of people I don't get to shoot as much as I would like. Also like a lot of other people this is due to the cost ammo. I love my AR but .223 is pricey. I love my .45 but again...the ammo is pricey. The fix for the AR is easy. 125.00 will buy a 22 conversion bolt and mag. My M&P45c on the other hand is a different issue.

Since there is no .22 conversion kit for it (I've heard rumors that tactical solutions has one in the planning phase but there's nothing concrete) and there is no M&P 22 model It looks like I will have to purchase a new gun. My issue however is this. The reason I want to get more trigger time in is to improve my skills with the weapons I would use to defend my life if ever needed. Because of this I don't want to buy a 22/45 or a buckmark because the trigger and feel is TOTALLY different then my M&P. So the question then becomes is there a .22lr pistol that is a decent analog for a striker fired defensive pistol?

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I think that there is a Glock conversion kit for .22lr...

found one: glockworld

It doesn't look like there is an M&P kit, yet.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Rollo, the trigger is so over rated as a measure of handgun perfection as to be laughable. SHOOT. You'll figure out the trigger. Here is why I say that--I shoot competitively and very successfully. In none of thematches I've shot have I ever had a second thought about the trigger. I just use it. I look at the target, the gun presentsitself, and the gun fires when the sights look right. Now, this is the result of THOUSANDS of rounds fired, but the fact is that the trigger is not relevent to hitting the target or missing it, my ability to align the sights IS. If you want a .22 and there is no M&P simulant, just buy one and use it. You'll figger out that you have a different gun in your hands and act accordingly, ya know?
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

If you have a Glock, the best conversion made is Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion kits. They make them for just about all the Glocks. One is on my list.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I personally want the GSG 1911-22. That won't help you much on comparing to your M&P, but it's got cool rolling around all over it. The most iconic semi-platform in the most economical caliber....that's entertainment.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I gotta tell you there are GSG 1911 22's on gunbroker for $320.00 shipped to your ffl,I paid about $40.00 more for mine.I have put over 4000 rounds thru mine in a couple of months and it shoots great,I would highly recommend one
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thought about going .22lr on the AR and adding a 9mm M&P or a Glock 34? 9mm isn't as cheap as .22 but it's a whole heck of a lock cheaper than .45, so it would mean the end goal of more trigger time is accomplished and you'd have potential carry or HD guns available at the same time if you went M&P you could keep the function and feel exactly the same and if you join GSSF and went G34 you'd get a discount (one per year) and GSSF competition like IDPA or ISPCA helps you get some practice of shooting under conditions of stress. Advantage Arms also makes a few handgun .22lr kits that go for about $300 between gunbroker and direct ordering.

I've started half looking for a 9mm barrel for my G27 to make it so I can get a little more range time in, if the end of the year doesn't bring about another Glock, a barrel swap or AA conversion kit will be in the cards for the very same reason; shooting time costs money, and more expensive ammo reduces the amount of ammo I can shoot any given week.

Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member
    There is no kit currently for the M&P. There is a .22 cal Glock look a like that would serve the purpose that is not that expensive unless you want to buy a Glock.

The operation/manipulation of the trigger is something that is learned as a basic skill then refined with each different shooting platform that you use. The manipulation of the trigger is a key part of shooting. You can have everything going right then jerk the trigger or do any number of things wrong while pulling the trigger and mess up the shot.
    The use of a minor caliber for training is a good idea that can keep basic skills sharp at a lower cost.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Rollo, I'm with HK Dan on this one. I would add that finding a rimfire pistol that balances in the hand about the same as your M&P will be more productive than trying to find one that has a similar trigger feel.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Just buy a Walther P22, Sig Sauer Mosquito or a conversion kit for a Glock.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Try the ISSC M-22 .22 cal rimfire pistol that is designed to look and feel like a Glock 19. They go for about $230 maybe less than you would pay for a conversion kit. It is a great gun, has good balance and feels good in your hand. checkout rimfirecentral.com forum for comments. I've found the gun and the company to be first rate.

I also agree with HK Dan about triggers. I would be much more concerned with the grip angle being as close as possible to my regular weapon so that proprioceptive skills related to instinct/point shooting would be consistent.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Just buy a Walther P22, Sig Sauer Mosquito or a conversion kit for a Glock.
    fussy with ammo and not really as close to a larger pistol as you would probably like...

i purchased an s&w 22a because the grip is large and it has enough weight to make it feel like a larger pistol....its a great training tool and its reasonably priced...shoots whatever you feed it and is deadly accurate...

the nice thing about practicing with a .22 is the absence of recoil takes away your flinch reflex and makes you less likely to anticipate recoil when firing your larger guns...

To illustrate my point, I have both a S&W 422 and a Buck Mark and both shoot well. I practice with the Buck Mark as its grip angle is virutally identical to my Berettas, whereas the 422 has a different grip angle.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    If you have a Glock, the best conversion made is Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion kits. They make them for just about all the Glocks. One is on my list.
    Gunbroker.com has them available now! I just bought one for my Glock 30sf and love it! I paid $289 but it will pay for itself in a couple of bricks of Rem. golden bullets. Mine runs well with Rem. Goldens, CCI mini mags and Federal Auto match. I put almost 400 rounds of various brands through it today and it was great for cheap plinking fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links