I owned a gun for 5 minutes today

This is a discussion on I owned a gun for 5 minutes today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a S&W 22A-1 target gun NIB from a friend today for $220. I didn't really want it or need it, it was just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I owned a gun for 5 minutes today

I owned a gun for 5 minutes today

I bought a S&W 22A-1 target gun NIB from a friend today for $220. I didn't really want it or need it, it was just a good price. I want a 22, but I really want a GSG1911-22, so I thought this would do until I find one and I figured I could sell this one down the line. As I was walking back in from the parking lot another buddy told me he shot his first handgun yesterday, a Ruger Mark III with a scope (belongs to a co-worker of ours) and he just HAD to have a target 22 with scope and to keep my eyes open on a deal for him.

I mentioned I just bought a target 22 and he wanted to go look at it. He and the other 22 owner followed me out to my truck and checked it out. He just HAD to have it and asked me what I wanted for it. He was so excited, I told him what I paid for it, $220, and told him I'd take the same. He asked our other co-worker what he thought and he said, "Pay the man...or I will." He was like a kid at Christmas.

I literally owned it for 5 minutes and didn't even get to shoot it. I might could have made a few bucks on it, but I got a lot of satisfaction knowing a very good friend shot his first handgun yesterday and now has one of his own. He was so excited, he went shooting tonight. I was glad I could pass along the deal I got to him.

Now he just needs something in a defensive caliber. I tried to sell him a Beretta 96D DAO .40 with trijicon night sights for $250 (what I've got in it) and he wasn't sure yet.

Oh well, just thought I would share my 5 minute ownership experience.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

This is the sort of transaction every salesmen dream of, except for the breaking even part.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Senior Moderator
    BigDude, your a Big Friend...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I think that was great... You gave a friend a good deal
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    This is the sort of transaction every salesmen dream of, except for the breaking even part.
    Don't worry, he'll make it up in volume.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Don't worry, he'll make it up in volume.
    If I drop my prices, I'm gonna need a bigger truck!!!

He's a super guy, always helping folks, and has been a super co-worker and friend to me. So much so, if he really wanted it and was strapped for the cash, I'd have given it to him. Good friends are priceless.

Bellshireguns on Gunbroker has GSG 1911 22's for $320.00 shipped
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

GM
    BigDude, good friends do things like that

BTW, did you enjoy owning a S&W 22A-1?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Since I’m a self-centered greedy capitalist I would have sold it for $225.00
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Nothing wrong with treating an new gun owner and friend right to get them into to sport of shooting.

One positive thing that will come out of it, you have another person to call to go to the range with you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Ex Member
    I bought a PPK from a guy at work once who was desperate for cash. Two days later he BEGGED me to sell it back, and even offered me $30 more than i paid. I knew it was a family gun and sold it for a break even price. Hell I usually LOOSE money on sales so even was OK.

VIP Member
    Hello '1 old 0311',
    Been on both sides of that scenario and lost on each count. I walk a lot more slowly on purchases these days.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If I drop my prices, I'm gonna need a bigger truck!!!

He's a super guy, always helping folks, and has been a super co-worker and friend to me. So much so, if he really wanted it and was strapped for the cash, I'd have given it to him. Good friends are priceless.

^^^Awesome^^^^^^^^^^^^ Bugdude

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Since I’m a self-centered greedy capitalist I would have sold it for $225.00

^^^^^^^^What a wisenheimer^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would have too!!!!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

For the ones who suggested that he should have made a profit, I will relay a story I heard or read somewhere recently.

It seems a guy was at a gun show, saw a gun at a great price (having been to a few gun shows lately, this makes me doubt the whole story) and bought it. A few minutes later, another guy stopped him, admired it, and offered him substantially more than he paid. He sold the gun to the guy and was immediately arrested and charged with dealing weapons with no license because he sold it for a profit. The guy who "bought" it was a BATFE agent.

I don't know for sure if the story is true, but it fits known BATFE tactics well enough that it would give me pause.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

UPDATE: This just proves my theory on kharma and what goes around comes around (good in this case).

The guy I bought the pistol from knows I have a Ruger P95. He had told me he had one years ago and really loved it but sold it somewhere along the line. He found a spare 15 round magazine that he still had from that P95 and gave it to me for buying the gun since I could use it. That's about a $30 value, so I came out of it pretty good without even knowing I would. Nice surprise!!! What goes around, comes around. Now I have two 15 round mags, a 17 rounder, and a 10 rounder for the P95.

Virginia private sales are fine, profit or not. I have to know the person pretty well to do it, which I do in this case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links