Military NC pistol purchase?

This is a discussion on Military NC pistol purchase? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I used to be a resident of NC until I was stationed in Hawaii and my NC license expired so I was forced to ...

Thread: Military NC pistol purchase?

Military NC pistol purchase?

So I used to be a resident of NC until I was stationed in Hawaii and my NC license expired so I was forced to get one from Hawaii. I leave Hawaii in a month to change my duty station to Fort Bragg, NC. My question is will I be able to buy a weapon there?

I've been trying to search and the only I can find is I have to obtain a pistol purchase form from the sheriff's office. Do I have to have an NC drivers license? Or is military I.D. enough to count as residence? I know some states are like that. Anybody who could help it would be greatly appreciated.
    "The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

US Army - Active 4 years and counting

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Military ID and PCS orders to NC are all you need. Welcome to NC the Sheriff of Cumberland County is gun friendly, and they have hunting on Fort Bragg as a plus.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HBY18202 View Post
    So I used to be a resident of NC until I was stationed in Hawaii and my NC license expired so I was forced to get one from Hawaii.
    I have to ask, why? If you were (are) active duty you should have been able to renew your NC one if that was your state of residence. I drove on a PA license for years while out of state.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Rstickle- Some states allow you to renew through the mail. I called the NC DMV and they weren't one of those states. When I originally got my NC license I was 16 and as it was a provisional license it was only good for 4 years.

Msgt- thanks, I talked to a gun shop and they told me the same thing. I appreciate your input
    though.
    "The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

US Army - Active 4 years and counting

Question Sorry

Not to re-open this thread but I had another question regarding a PPP in the Fort Bragg area. I was looking over the PPP form and it asks for a character witness that is from the state and has known you for at least 6 months. Thing is, I've just PCS'd here from Germany and am a resident of PA. I have a Conceal Carry Permit from that State, which is honored here, but still need a PPP. So, my question is; would a military character witness suffice? Someone who is from another State, as well? I'm not sure how to go about this. I'm starting to think I should go back to PA and purchase then carry it to North Carolina if it continues to be a headache. Thanks, in advance, for any answers y'all have.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guapomofo View Post
    Not to re-open this thread but I had another question regarding a PPP in the Fort Bragg area. I was looking over the PPP form and it asks for a character witness that is from the state and has known you for at least 6 months. Thing is, I've just PCS'd here from Germany and am a resident of PA. I have a Conceal Carry Permit from that State, which is honored here, but still need a PPP. So, my question is; would a military character witness suffice? Someone who is from another State, as well? I'm not sure how to go about this. I'm starting to think I should go back to PA and purchase then carry it to North Carolina if it continues to be a headache. Thanks, in advance, for any answers y'all have.
    Another military member or civilian employee who has been stationed there for the last 6 months, and has known you the required length of time should be fine.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links