New Pistole: An Itch, Well Scratched.

This is a discussion on New Pistole: An Itch, Well Scratched. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That is a thing of beauty! Good for you!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pistole: An Itch, Well Scratched.

Ex Member
    That is a thing of beauty! Good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Hey thanks guys!

I guess this has been sort of a "grail gun" for me forever though I didn't always realize it. Once, I was a young teenager perusing an older cousin's new 1970 Guns & Ammo Annual. I suppose that was the first year for the Annual (my cousin later gave it to me and I still have it). There was a firearms manufacturers' catalog in back of it. I spied the Model 57 in .41 Magnum and the cartridge appealed as being powerful but different. Back then the flashy nickel also appealed.

Later as a young adult I came to view nickel as an unappealing finish so have owned few nickel guns over the years. Only a nickel 4-inch S&W Model 19 and an assortment of nickel pre-war Colt and Smith & Wesson models came through the collection but they didn't generally stay around.

Back in early marriage, I ended up with some money burning a hole in my pocket one Saturday afternoon, thought a gun purchase would be a good thing on the spur of the moment, so set out to find a .41 Magnum. The only nearby place that sold guns was Gibson's Discount Center and I'd seen .41 Magnums in there on occasion, both Smith & Wesson Model 57s and Ruger Blackhawks. When I got there though, only .44 Magnums were available so I went down that road and haven't regretted it. The .44 Magnum has been wonderful through the years, giving me my "Dirty Harry" fix, shooting enough metallic silhouettes to construct a battleship, and taking a couple of deer. I thought I was well beyond the yearning for the .41 Magnum and over any notion of actually thinking that nickel guns looked cool.

Now, here in my dotage I've reverted back to my childhood I suppose. I still appreciate blued steel the very best of all but already have a number of blued handguns so indulged an old dream.

I sure am looking forward to playing with the cartridge.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Well, I can certainly understand the passion for that! I'm also a revolver guy and I've just decided to continue customizing my lonely revolver until the wheels fall off.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

If your seller was pushing his wares on GunBroker, I'm quite sure I was looking at that very same nickeled M57... simply gorgeous!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If your seller was pushing his wares on GunBroker, I'm quite sure I was looking at that very same nickeled M57... simply gorgeous!
    Were you one of the ones eyeing those Model 57s?

Actually, this was a GunsAmerica auction and, as said earlier, I selected a nice blue one for a decent price. This revolver was purchased sight unseen, or at least without seeing a photo, after the seller offered it to me.

I did watch those GunBroker Model 57 auctions closely, beginning in late June. Missed a few deals that seemed pretty good at the same price or even higher though without presentation cases, but those misses only set me up to find this one which proved to have a flawless finish though it has been shot some.

The cases are lovely and a nice addition to a period Smith & Wesson N-Frame revolver but realistically they just sit unused and take up storage space.

Funny about those internet auctions. One may find any of several S&W Model 57s for example, in varying conditions, with or without original accessories and with prices that are all over the board. There are some on there right now that tout "no reserve" but have starting prices that are twice what this one cost. How do they think their stuff will sell when something identical or even better, and having the advantage of being less costly, appears on the same page as their auction? Yet we see the same guns, month in and month out.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    That is a great find! The .41 magnum is a great cartridge. Congrats!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    that weapon is a thing of beauty, please give it a good workout for me
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

A nickel .41mag with ~6in barrel, square butt, carved grips. About the only thing I would ever consider changing on it might be for a set of stag horn grips. But I would have to think for a long time before doing so.

BM, be sure to come back and post a few photos from the range sessions, showing how it performs. I'm sure you'll have another hundred people clamoring for more.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

very nice looking revolver!

That is a beautiful work of art. Congrats!
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

The gun is not really that nice...in fact, I'm worried that you're going to have a lot of trouble with it.
    Please send it to me for some lengthy testing, I don't want you to be stuck with tons of problems.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    What a great looking pistola, you have definitely found a real winner...very, very nice.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Such a beauty!!! Congrats
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Be still my heart...can you see the green envy in my post???? It's there, trust me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

OD*
    Hubba-hubba!!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Wow very nice...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links