I was not allowed to rent a gun? - Page 3

I was not allowed to rent a gun?

This is a discussion on I was not allowed to rent a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dbramhall It just happened a few weeks ago out here: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...105134909.html I was there, not inside. Very sad...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: I was not allowed to rent a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by dbramhall View Post
    It just happened a few weeks ago out here:
    http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...105134909.html
    I was there, not inside. Very sad

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    You fit the profile of someone about to commit suicide.
    YEP ! !

IF you have a gun with you, then you are more believable you are there to shoot and not just utilize their's to kill yourself.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    YEP ! !

IF you have a gun with you, then you are more believable you are there to shoot and not just utilize their's to kill yourself.
    Maybe show up with your own ear/eye protection, targets, and a couple boxes of ammo? People don't bring 100 rounds when they only plan to use one.

No idea how this would work. I am a member of a gun club with private indoor and outdoor ranges, so I don't know the policies of business ranges

This has been a common practice for years in the Seattle area. When I first moved out here from NYC I had never fired a gun of any sort. I wanted to. I had to call 3 or 4 ranges before I found one that would rent to me without a second person being present. Given that I had just moved to a new city and growing up in NYC, I had never had any friends that were gun owners.

The gun that the range suggested I rent after telling them I had never touched a handgun? A DA/SA P229. Why not something as simple as a glock I'll never know. Because the principles of avoiding hurting yourself are very simple nothing bad happened, though I'm not sure what I would have done had it jammed.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigsegv View Post
    This has been a common practice for years in the Seattle area. When I first moved out here from NYC I had never fired a gun of any sort. I wanted to. I had to call 3 or 4 ranges before I found one that would rent to me without a second person being present. Given that I had just moved to a new city and growing up in NYC, I had never had any friends that were gun owners.

The gun that the range suggested I rent after telling them I had never touched a handgun? A DA/SA P229. Why not something as simple as a glock I'll never know. Because the principles of avoiding hurting yourself are very simple nothing bad happened, though I'm not sure what I would have done had it jammed.
    Why would you think a SIG more likely to "jam" than a Glock? I am a fanboy for neither brand, but my Glocks gave me more trouble with malfunctions than my SIGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Why would you think a SIG more likely to "jam" than a Glock? I am a fanboy for neither brand, but my Glocks gave me more trouble with malfunctions than my SIGs.
    I didn't mean to imply that at all. I own two DA/SA SIGs and zero Glocks. I'm not a Glock fan.

I was listing two separate points:
    One: A Glock is a more simple weapon to operate than a DA/SA SIG. I think this is indisputable.

Two: Someone who has never touched a gun before does not know how to clear a jam. I knew nothing of squib loads, hang fires, stovepipes, double feeds, limp wristing, etc.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    That's a crappy rule! What if someone is just getting into guns and wants to try one out before making a purchase? This leaves the novice high and dry!!! Not a good way to win converts!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    That's a crappy rule! What if someone is just getting into guns and wants to try one out before making a purchase? This leaves the novice high and dry!!! Not a good way to win converts!
    Seriously, how hard is it to find a friend willing to go to a range? Unless you've only associated with antis your entire life- in which case, join a local forum (like this one) and ask someone if they'd be willing to shoot with you. I'm sure plenty of people (like myself) are itching for more excuses to go to the range.

Besides, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with novices to shooting alone.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Ok your age? What was your demeanor like when you entered the range? Maybe there was something you said? or actions that raised a red flag to them? I'm just asking these questions because something about you tipped them into not letting you rent their inventory.
    [/QUOTE]
    mg27 likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

New Albany and the Powder Room have had suicides. They really do thier best to keep the range as safe as possible while keeping it as fun as possible. Unlike the powder room you can shoot magnums and high power rifles there. Neither New Albany nor the powdre room has a shotgun facility either. It can be an pain with the no lone shooter and no gun person wanting to shoot but I have seen many people go out on the range supervised by RSO's so they are not alone as part of what is called a test drive. If you are interested in a gun and it is in the rental counter or a used gun that they can allow to be fired you may request a test drive. 5.00 plus tax for five rounds covers the RSO, a target, the gun, eye/ear protection to see if you like a gun rather than the 20.00 for range time which is for however long you are there not by the half hour. You may be able to do multiple tests to figure out what you like depending on staffing and how busy they are. BTW there isnt a glock 20 to rent in thier counter. Hope that helps.

SDG
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Seriously, how hard is it to find a friend willing to go to a range? Unless you've only associated with antis your entire life- in which case, join a local forum (like this one) and ask someone if they'd be willing to shoot with you. I'm sure plenty of people (like myself) are itching for more excuses to go to the range.
    It sure doesn't seem like it would be that hard to find a friend interested in going with you. Shooting with a friend is part of the fun anyway.

I really don't see why people are so down on this. At least one of the two local ranges has this rule and they have had at least one suicide by rental. I wonder if those that are against this rule would change their tune if they had to witness, clean up or have this happen in their range. Or would they just shrug it off and go on with business as usual?

My father-in-law says a number of ranges in his area have closed up shop because of suicides.
    Curzyk likes this.

never heard of that

It is stated on their site. Ohio's Best Pistol & Rifle Indoor Shooting Range » Black Wing Shooting Center

You aren't even allowed on the range.
    Curzyk likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The local range I shoot at has this policy, too. I understand it. It's a business/liability issue and I'm fine with it.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here in Vegas it happen once a month at the tourist rental ranges. The link is one of the most noteable for Denver, CO:

Australian twins had suicide pact at shooting range - The Denver Post

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links