Break ins, Problems in Glockville, and the Ruger LCP / LCR

This is a discussion on Break ins, Problems in Glockville, and the Ruger LCP / LCR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today has been an exciting day, as I am leaving my parents house to goto my grandmothers to stage for my trip back to Fort ...

Thread: Break ins, Problems in Glockville, and the Ruger LCP / LCR

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Break ins, Problems in Glockville, and the Ruger LCP / LCR

Today has been an exciting day, as I am leaving my parents house to goto my grandmothers to stage for my trip back to Fort Bragg, NC I get a call from my Aunt who said that someone might have broken into the family hunting cabin. As the cabin is between the two locations I was driving between I stopped and investigated. Yep the place was broken into and they stole a bunch of medal to be scrapped. Called the dispatcher about it and they sent a Deputy Sheriff my way. As Michigan law dictates I need to inform the officer which I did. I told him I was packing, and he responded "so am I" and that was that. After he did his thing and I was waiting for my Aunt and Uncle to show up to bring new locks and to do an inventory of everything they took, I started shooting. Which brings me to the problems in Glockville.

I started popping off some rounds with my carry weapon a G27 using various 180 grain plinking ammo and a few mags of Speer Gold Dots. As I was doing holster drills drawing and rapid firing two shots. For the most part the gun did run great with all the ammo, but I did have a few problems with FTF with it using both the factory mag and one of my G23 mags. All these issues happened when I was drawing and firing so until I can fire it more I'm going to contribute it to user error and not having a good grip. This is the first time I've done these drills using the CBST and I've had to change my draw grip IOT get it out of the holster. I'm having to put my thumb on the top of the slide and rotate my thumb back into the proper grip position as I clear the holster. So I'm thinking I just didn't have a good grip. Doing so low ready drills and such it functioned without any problems at all. Once I get back to Bragg I'll have to put a bunch of rounds though it to see if I have any more problems.

As for the Ruger LCP / LCR

LCP

I bought it a few years ago and after the first fifty rounds though it the magazine catch in the mag well broke. Due to multiple deployments I was unable to send it in to get fixed. First off Ruger's CS was amazing I called them up and got the mailing label sent it in and about 9 days later I had it back. Anywho as I was waiting I ran about 150 rounds though it and a few mags of Speer Gold Dots without any problems at all. The thing ran like a champ and at 7 yards I was hitting a small paper plate without any problem at all. The DAO trigger took a few mags to get used to but a normal defensive ranges it shouldn't be a problem at all for a person to master defensive accuracy with it.

LCR

Still waiting I pulled out my LCR that I only had about 40 rounds though at the time. Again it's a great little snubby and the accuracy is really good off hand at 7 yards with the DAO trigger. I think the recoil on the LCR is unique to me at least likely due to this is the first revolver Ive really put some rounds downrange with. Again it's a great little piece for anyone looking for a light weight carry pistol, I had my Aunt shoot it who is very recoil sensitive, and after the initial shock from it she did very well. She said that the recoil was kinda sharp but it didn't hurt her hand most likely due to the Hogue Tamer grips on it. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a snubby.

Anyway all this took me 7 1/2 hours to drive about 130 miles.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    first....thank you for your service

you said it was running fine from low-ready sound like you weren't getting a good grip from the holster like you said, sounds like you got the problem figured out
    good luck
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I also thank you for your service.

Was your previous draw method a MT/elevator type draw or have you used a scoop/hook type draw befor?
    Does your 27 have significant finger grooves?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I also thank you for your service.

Was your previous draw method a MT/elevator type draw or have you used a scoop/hook type draw befor?
    Does your 27 have significant finger grooves?
    I'm doing the scoop hook type deal. I'm thinking about cutting some of the leather away from the holster so I can get a better grip on it. I'm using a magazine with a plus 0 extention on it so I'm able to get all the digits on the grip.

The scoop/hook draw by its nature requires the actual acquiring of a complete firing grip during the draw. Some time with it is required for a consistent firing grip and consistent finger placement is aided by grips with finger grooves. At least that has been my experience, using it over a considerable period of time.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Links