Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit. - Page 2

Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit.

This is a discussion on Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rollo ...They can require you to do anything they want... Not really. They don't have the legal right to demand to see ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    ...They can require you to do anything they want...
    Not really. They don't have the legal right to demand to see my cc permit. They can ask, but not require. Again, ask for my ID, ask what firearms I'll be shooting, I'm fine with all of that, because all of that has to do with using the range. Requiring that you only use ammo they sell to you, I can deal with that. It is the suggestion that you must share what firearms you cc that I don't like at all. Why I was asked but my wife, and several other people, were not?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Contact management. As for asking about the permit the permit, You can refuse and then you can leave or be asked to leave. They can ask you whatever they want, you are not required by law to answer to anyone buy LE but they are not required to let you shoot there if there is some policy regarding CC etc and you snub them.
    Ya, I guess a careful letter to management is the way to go. Asking me what firearms I would be using would have been fine. The demand that I share the number or firearms I had on me cc was wrong.

I have to consider how to word the cc permit issue. I don't like taking out that card unless I'm buying a firearm or as required by law. I simply don't want people to know I'm carrying.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Not really. They don't have the legal right to demand to see my cc permit. They can ask, but not require. Again, ask for my ID, ask what firearms I'll be shooting, I'm fine with all of that, because all of that has to do with using the range. Requiring that you only use ammo they sell to you, I can deal with that. It is the suggestion that you must share what firearms you cc that I don't like at all. Why I was asked but my wife, and several other people, were not?
    So your saying that a private business doesn't have the right to refuse service to you?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Thanis, a letter is fine, but you dont know if the GM will get it or address it. Call and schedule a meeting, it will make a bigger impact on the mgr and give you the chance to discuss the policy if it is one.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Went to the range at Bass Pro. I think in the past I've moaned a bit about their firearm range...
    Your account sorat reads like there was some bad blood from a previous visit. Anyway, I think I would just shop elsewhere.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure they don't have any legal right to ask, but they do have every right to know what is going on their property including someone carrying a weapon. They were likely trying to ensure that you were legal to carry which I believe is well within their right. If you don't like it don't shop there. I'm all for 2A and peoples right to carry, but I'm also for a private property owner / business owner to dictate what will take place on their property.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Your account sorat reads like there was some bad blood from a previous visit. Anyway, I think I would just shop elsewhere.
    That is what it looks to me, show them the back of your head and find better range. It seem as thou they are putting some pressure on you for some reason, do you mind disclosing the: "I think in the past I've moaned a bit about their firearm range..."
    Go with the glow

They can ASK for anything they want. Rather you show it to them or not is up to you. If you choose not to, they have every right to say "Hit the road buster."
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    They can ask to see ID when you buy something on your credit card, they can ask for ID when you buy ammo, they can set their own policies the way they want, we do not have to like it, and if you do not agree with the policy, you find another place to shop/play.

Locally (five minutes from my work, 20 min from my home) a range makes you take a safety class before using their range, even if you can prove your a certified RSO (I am not but have shot there with one) and can prove it. Then, they give you an option, for $20 you can buy a card that says you went through that class and not have to do it for a year (or if you are a member you do not go through it but once). I do not shoot here, not because I do not agree with the class, but because I do not agree with a fee to buy a card so i can "pass go and collect 200". I go to another range where the range fees are nearly half but nearly an hour away from me.

Point it, complain with your money, if you do not like their policy, go elseware.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Two suggestions.

1. Find a new range that treats you better so you don't get bent out of shape over the questions they ask of you when entering their property with loaded weapons and lots of ammo.

or 2. Go to this range and store more often so that the folks will get to know you more and then the consersation will turn into, ahh heading to the range are you, well have a good day.

Like others have said, it is their property they can ask you anything they want to. No, you don't have to answer, but they don't have to let you enter their store or range either.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Seems like some people get wrapped around the axle over the smallest things.

In regards to the target issue, the range I use has the same policy: No Faces or likenesses. That's to prevent the yahoos from blasting away at Bin Ladens and Obamas and whomever else they think should be the target of the day. Anyone who thinks they need to take shots at Bin Laden are welcome to go take shots at the real thing. It's their policy--deal with it. Is it really that important that your target has a face on it? Really?

Nothing they asked was "intrusive" or a violation of personal privacy. I don't think they care what color your wife's underwear is or are trying to steal her identity via her library card. If I'm CC'ing (and they shouldn't even know) and they ask to see my CWFL, fine, here it is. Look, but don't touch, and no copies allowed. I carry my CWFL as proof to anybody that my weapon is legal.

As far as make, caliber, # of mags, whatever, maybe it's in the best interest of all parties to make sure you're leaving with exactly what you entered with; proof is established for both sides.

One must remember that businesses are private property--not public. County libraries are public, state parks are public; commercial businesses are not. Corporations are legal entities, just as you and I are. Businesses do have "rights." They do have the right to set the conditions of who and what is allowed to enter their properties and the conditions. We, as customers, have the right to enter or go elsewhere.

If you feel you're going to make some major point with Bass Pro or any other large nation-wide business by leaving, make sure you step aside quickly and get out of the way of the 100 people behind you that more than willing to enter. It's your choice to spend money in any business or not, and I can respect that. Exercise your rights to shop when and where you want as you see fit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    I have never heard of anyone shoot more than about 450 rounds at a time.1000?........
    He said he had a brick of .22LR.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    They cannot really demand to see your permit, but then, you may have some decisions to make. If that's the way they treated me, I'd do business elsewhere.OMOYMV
    Oh sure they can. They can demand all they want. It doesn't mean they're going to see anything other than my butt walking out the door(along with the wad of cash I won't be spending there)...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

It is their facility and they can require anything they want of the people that want to use it. If you do not agree to their requirements you are perfectly free to take your business elsewhere. As you say they have no right to demand your permit. But also you have no right to use their facility.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Seems like some people get wrapped around the axle over the smallest things.

In regards to the target issue, the range I use has the same policy: No Faces or likenesses. That's to prevent the yahoos from blasting away at Bin Ladens and Obamas and whomever else they think should be the target of the day. Anyone who thinks they need to take shots at Bin Laden are welcome to go take shots at the real thing. It's their policy--deal with it. Is it really that important that your target has a face on it? Really?

Nothing they asked was "intrusive" or a violation of personal privacy. I don't think they care what color your wife's underwear is or are trying to steal her identity via her library card. If I'm CC'ing (and they shouldn't even know) and they ask to see my CWFL, fine, here it is. Look, but don't touch, and no copies allowed. I carry my CWFL as proof to anybody that my weapon is legal.

As far as make, caliber, # of mags, whatever, maybe it's in the best interest of all parties to make sure you're leaving with exactly what you entered with; proof is established for both sides.

One must remember that businesses are private property--not public. County libraries are public, state parks are public; commercial businesses are not. Corporations are legal entities, just as you and I are. Businesses do have "rights." They do have the right to set the conditions of who and what is allowed to enter their properties and the conditions. We, as customers, have the right to enter or go elsewhere.

If you feel you're going to make some major point with Bass Pro or any other large nation-wide business by leaving, make sure you step aside quickly and get out of the way of the 100 people behind you that more than willing to enter. It's your choice to spend money in any business or not, and I can respect that. Exercise your rights to shop when and where you want as you see fit.
    I am in agreement with OldVet 100%. They have rights, as private property owners, just like you do when someone comes into your home. You have choices as a potential customer. I pretty much keep the fact that I have a permit information "to myself" but it's not like some state secret that I must, at all costs, protect. Bass Pro Shops is one of the good guys and if their policy requires me to show them my permit, I'll show it to them and avoid making a big stink. If I had questions regarding why they have certain policies, I would comply and then ask the guy why they ask to see it. They would probably tell you, I would shrug and go about my business.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links