Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit. - Page 3

Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit.

This is a discussion on Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Bumper I am in agreement with OldVet 100%. They have rights, as private property owners, just like you do when someone comes ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I am in agreement with OldVet 100%. They have rights, as private property owners, just like you do when someone comes into your home. You have choices as a potential customer. I pretty much keep the fact that I have a permit information "to myself" but it's not like some state secret that I must, at all costs, protect. Bass Pro Shops is one of the good guys and if their policy requires me to show them my permit, I'll show it to them and avoid making a big stink. If I had questions regarding why they have certain policies, I would comply and then ask the guy why they ask to see it. They would probably tell you, I would shrug and go about my business.

^^^^^That's^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All well and fine, BUT,

As the OP stated, they were not asking his wife, or anyone else, just singling him out.
    That to me sounds as if its a case of Discrimination.
    Don't it?????

I'd be somewhat perturbed also.

And call me crazy, but someone who is open for business ,and selling something, or charging a fee for something , seems different from me and my PRIVATE home.
    They by the very nature of being in business, really isn't a private place.
    A place of retail, is not the same as a private factory, or shop NOT open to the public.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Businesses often ask the "man of the family" for credentials. Maybe it's old fashioned, but it happens.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    If their policy bothers you, it be best to find a better place to shoot. Each range differs in their rules, whether asinine or not. As for Bass Pro Shop, I am even surprised they have a range. And since they are more of a family oriented place than a hardcore shooting range, it doesn't surprise me that they don't allow targets w/ human faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have to agree with JD on this one. They have the right to tell you you have to wear a purple tutu and dance the nutcracker before you can shoot at their range. On the flip side you have the right to tell them to kiss your behind.
    ROFLMBO. I was gonna say something, but I'm still laughing....I got a visual of a shooting range with a bunch of tough guys wearing purple tutus dancing the nutcracker and then pulling off a couple shots in mid pirouette. That's some funny stuff right there. That visual will stick with me for some time to come. I'll never hear the nutcracker again without having this visual. Too funny...where in the heck is my purple tutu? Still laughing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Oh, I remembered what I was gonna say. Private property owners do have rights, but there are established criteria for which they cannot discriminate against individuals (or categories of individuals). That falls under civil liberties. There have been a lot of hard fought battles to remove those practices over the last 60 years. They can ask anything, you can decide whether to answer or comply or leave. A restaurant can tell me to leave because I'm open carrying even if they are not posted. I can choose to lock it in the truck and return, leave, or face trespassing if I refuse. If this only occurs to one specific protected category and is consistently applied in that manner and not to others, they'll likely be facing a difficult discrimination suit.

Property rights vary state to state, civil liberties are federal. In my state, an employer's property rights apparently trump your private property rights (your car in their parking lot). The police can't search your car without just cause, but your employer can or you can be fired. Now, if you place your handgun in an envelope that is addressed to you and postmarked (i.e. you mailed yourself an empty envelope) then FEDERAL law says they do not have the right to search your mail. Federal offense trumps the state's employer private property right.

Illegal to mail a complete firearm. Nice try!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Illegal to mail a complete firearm. Nice try!
    You're mailing an empty envelope to yourself and then placing your firearm in it in your car at work. Seal it with tape. They have no right to look in your mail.

If it's postmarked, the Postal Inspectors certainly do have the right to inspect it.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    If it's postmarked, the Postal Inspectors certainly do have the right to inspect it.
    Let me clarify. There was never a firearm in the mail. Lets say you buy stuff off of ebay and receive a large envelope mailed to you with hotwheels cars in it. You then take the empty envelope and put it in your car to store your handgun in while you're at work. The gun was never in the mail and your employer (private employer, non-public employer) does not have the right to look in the envelope. No crime has been committed. The postal inspector is not involved since it is a private property issue with a private (non-public service) employer issue not a criminal investigation or public employer issue.
    Last edited by BugDude; November 3rd, 2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    The one that eats me a bit is as I entered the store, with a bag without a gun, I was required to provide my CC permit, inform them of the make and caliber of my CC firearm, number of mags I had, etc. I guess I understand possible theft issues, however, I had a problem with them asking me so many detail about the firearm I was carrying and the demand that I produce a CC permit.
    I'm assuming MI state doesn't require having a permit in order to even own or shoot a gun. If the state did, then I can see where a store might simply request that ID to show who you were.

In Oregon, there is no such statute requiring a CHL for anyone with a gun.

As for the theft issues, I can see where asking to see the contents of a gun "bag" makes sense. I would have no problem with opening it and showing it was empty, even if the a-retentive type asking the questions thought a game of "20 Questions" was more entertaining. I'd simply sit there quietly with the open bag in response to the questions. Because, empty, there's not much to be said.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    REALLY? Please state your reference for this legal right.
    They have no more right to ask to see your permit then Joe Smuckatella of some city in Egypt. I'm curious for your reference to this matter.
    If this were true, then they can also ask about how many children you have, how much you paid for your house, and if you have ever committed a crime.
    They do however have a right to refuse service to someone who doesn't want to follow their non prejudiced rules.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I don't know why people are getting bent out of shape about having to show a CC license. They were likely just checking to ensure you were carrying legally in their store which I think is well within there right to know. I got asked about my CPL at Gander MTN in NC the other day, the only debate was that the goofball kid working there didn't know that NC honored my MI permit and I asked to talk to the manager and I told him about NC's CPL laws and that they do honor mine and it was a done deal. I don't get it why people think they have a devine right to carry a pistol anyway and anywhere they want to. I side with Bass Pro Shop if in fact they do have a policy on asking about CPLs of people carrying in their stores. They have more right to know what is going on in their store that you do to carry a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    REALLY? Please state your reference for this legal right.
    They have no more right to ask to see your permit then Joe Smuckatella of some city in Egypt. I'm curious for your reference to this matter.
    If this were true, then they can also ask about how many children you have, how much you paid for your house, and if you have ever committed a crime.
    US First Amendment freedom of speech for one gives anyone a right to say anything to you that they wish including asking you questions on any topic that they desire. It is harassment only if they persist when told to stop. Similarly your freedom of speech right permits you to answer anyway you desire including ignoring them or saying nothing. A merchant is also free (unless limited by some specific civil rights law) to refuse service to anyone for any legal reason. A customer has unlimited freedom to take his custom elsewhere. This all nicely balances out.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    As the OP stated, they were not asking his wife, or anyone else, just singling him out.
    That to me sounds as if its a case of Discrimination.
    Don't it?????
    A little known forgotten fact - Discrimination is legal in general. Certain well defined types of discrimination are prohibited by law, but for pretty much any thing else, discriminate as much as your personal morality permits.
    Last edited by BurgDog; November 4th, 2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: add

Doesnt sound like you have this problem at your local range Thanis... just go there.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Some have asked what the previous issues were, and for the most part, it was locking me inthe range with two buzzer locks (I have to be buzzed in / out), yet often the "range master" (s) would be chatting away and not notice people waiting / knocking on window / waving / to get out. I want to also point out, I had no problem with Bass Pro looking at the bag I brought in. I even went to open it, and the greeter said "DON'T OPEN THE BAG." This is after the stated theft concern (reason for the questions) and it had been clarified that there was not a gun I the bag.

The only negative interaction I ever verbalised, in store, at Bass Pro prior to last weekend, was the day before Labor day (three years ago). After making an ammo purchase (at the gun counter), I noticed they charged me regular price, and the items were on sale. I went to the service desk (within two minutes of the purchase). At first they accused me of switching the ammo. This angered me a bit, because: #1 The ammo is behind the counter at the gun counter. #2 The UPC on my receipt matched the ammo. My voice may have raised a bit, but I refused to talk to that person other then to say I would like to talk to the manager. Manager resolved. I let the manager know it ws just a simple mistake, but give the jump to conclusion / accusation, I had not felt comfortable explaining to the person at the service counter.

I simply don't like people asking me for my CC permit and details of what I am carrying. I resolved this issue in the past by jusr CC every item. This weekend, because my wife had a new gun, I needed a few items, and more ammo of various types, to work out a few things. Only had two guns with us. My Glock 31 (that was not printing), as I had a fall coa on as did 70% of everyone else). She had her new Ruger LCP. I was not asked what firearm I would be using at the range. My wife, who had rolled up targets under her arms, who stated more then once to the same person asking me questions, that she had a CC permit, was never asked what she was carrying.

I think the private property statements are a bit out of place. I simply want to be treated like every other customer, and just because I CC, does not mean I should have to provide such detailed information. All they needto do is say no firearms can be used on the range other then those inspected.

I don't like the demand of seeing my CC permit, demanding I disclose all firearms I am carrying, and the suggestion that when I leave I will need to show some associate or manager my CCed firearm because I might be stealing.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links