Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit.

This is a discussion on Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Thanis Some have asked what the previous issues were, and for the most part, it was locking me inthe range with two ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Some have asked what the previous issues were, and for the most part, it was locking me inthe range with two buzzer locks (I have to be buzzed in / out), yet often the "range master" (s) would be chatting away and not notice people waiting / knocking on window / waving / to get out. I want to also point out, I had no problem with Bass Pro looking at the bag I brought in. I even went to open it, and the greeter said "DON'T OPEN THE BAG." This is after the stated theft concern (reason for the questions) and it had been clarified that there was not a gun I the bag.

The only negative interaction I ever verbalised, in store, at Bass Pro prior to last weekend, was the day before Labor day (three years ago). After making an ammo purchase (at the gun counter), I noticed they charged me regular price, and the items were on sale. I went to the service desk (within two minutes of the purchase). At first they accused me of switching the ammo. This angered me a bit, because: #1 The ammo is behind the counter at the gun counter. #2 The UPC on my receipt matched the ammo. My voice may have raised a bit, but I refused to talk to that person other then to say I would like to talk to the manager. Manager resolved. I let the manager know it ws just a simple mistake, but give the jump to conclusion / accusation, I had not felt comfortable explaining to the person at the service counter.

I simply don't like people asking me for my CC permit and details of what I am carrying. I resolved this issue in the past by jusr CC every item. This weekend, because my wife had a new gun, I needed a few items, and more ammo of various types, to work out a few things. Only had two guns with us. My Glock 31 (that was not printing), as I had a fall coa on as did 70% of everyone else). She had her new Ruger LCP. I was not asked what firearm I would be using at the range. My wife, who had rolled up targets under her arms, who stated more then once to the same person asking me questions, that she had a CC permit, was never asked what she was carrying.

I think the private property statements are a bit out of place. I simply want to be treated like every other customer, and just because I CC, does not mean I should have to provide such detailed information. All they needto do is say no firearms can be used on the range other then those inspected.

I don't like the demand of seeing my CC permit, demanding I disclose all firearms I am carrying, and the suggestion that when I leave I will need to show some associate or manager my CCed firearm because I might be stealing.
    So have you spoken with management yet?

2. Remove Ads

I agree with JD, you need to speak to the store manager to work this out. Give them the chance to correct the problem. If not resolved to your satisfaction, then do not return. I see too many people ready to punish a business because something happened that they did not like. A simple converstaion could resolve the issue.

No one can demand to see your permit other than an LEO. Unless you have to have a 'gun permit' in your state to have a gun and shoot. Since you are in Michigan..... there are some strange laws up that way, esp your neighbor state.

If anyone asked to verify I wasn't shooting a "unallowed" gun at the range or type of ammo that's fine, but that's all the info they get from me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Reply (verbal), we will not be changing any of our policies but will forward your thoughts (or along those lines). Simply going to cc (everything) with no bag next time I shoot at the BP range. I've done it in the past, and my frustrations with BP's policies were avoided.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I have never heard of anyone shoot more than about 450 rounds at a time.1000?
    Well now you have,I usually spend about 3 hours at the range almost every sunday night,we start off with 22's,my GSG 1911 gets about 400 to 550 rounds every time,then I switch to 9/40/45 and shoot about 100 rounds of each,we usually finish with a coupla mags full auto thru an MP5K,M16 223 and 22 LR conversion,Uzi,AK47.I have to bring a wagon to carry all the guns and ammo to the range
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ok, just to clarify who has the right to ask for what...

Yes, they have the right to ASK to see your CC permit, or that you wear a shirt and shoes, or literally almost anything else they want to ask.

What makes this different than an interaction with a police officer is what happens if you refuse.

If you do refuse, they have the right to DEMAND you leave THEIR property. You do not have the right to stay without their permission, even if that permission is contingent on doing something you're not legally required to do.

I think the phrase you're looking for is, "singled me out". I agree with you that they shouldn't be singling you out and not asking other people the same exact questions. If other people want to answer his questions, that is up to them, and how they value their rights. You have to deal with in your way, be it decline to answer his questions, or answer them. You answer them, they let you shoot. You decline (and it's your right), they probably don't let you shoot. Take your business elsewhere.

I agree they should be able to ask which gun you're going to shoot, and ask for "ID", and require you to use their ammo if they so desire. Even require you to purchase their targets if they want (some places do), but they legally don't have the right to "require" you to show your CC permit, or to disclose what firearms you are CCing. They can ask, unofficially, but legally they cannot require it of you, that is stepping beyond the bounds.

Even if they have a store policy to ask these (not legal) questions, they also have the right to not let people shoot if they don't answer them.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The business is private property and can have any restrictions or conditions they feel is in their best interest. They are the ones that set policy and depending on the quality and amount of training the employees have will dictate the implementation thereof no matter what you think is proper. Grin and bare it or go somewhere else.
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

i have a bass pro annual membership to the range here locally......
    NEVER have i had ANY problems.... walking in with my range bag with no guns in it. never once asked to see my ccw, they did once how ever asked if i was a ccw but never asked to see my ccw license.
    go back to the range, checkin and then take my gun out of the holster and unload before going into stall areas. never had an issue at all.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Simply going to cc (everything) with no bag next time I shoot at the BP range. I've done it in the past, and my frustrations with BP's policies were avoided.
    Bass Pro has the right to ask you for your permit, but their only recourse if you refuse to show it to them is to ask you to leave their property. BP has every right to dictate what policies a customer must comply with to use their range, as long as the policies do not discriminate against a protected class.

As a customer you have the right to refuse to comply with any and all of their requests, but they reserve the right to ask you to leave.

Your issue seems to stem from the notion that you were singled out. That may be true, but it doesn't really matter one way or another. The fact remains that you were on private property, and if you want to continue to play you have to follow their rules, otherwise you can take your ball and go home.

If you disagree with their policies why on earth would you continue to support them by giving them your business? I wasn't there, so I don't know the whole story, but if you feel like you were mistreated then take your business somewhere else.

Private property is not a cover all statement. That being said, I did have a range looking bag in hand and my wife had rolled up targets.

I assure everyone, I will not be providing my CC permit to BP ever again, as I will CC everythig, and just be a whole lot lighter (less the rounds I use) when I leave.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

In BP’s defense. My local range is pretty sticky on Conceal weapons. If you walk in the store concealed, the weapon needs to stay concealed. If you are going to use the range, the gun needs to in a case or holster unloaded. I’ve witnessed people pulling a concealed weapon for the range and the store employees get very tense. They think “Armed Robbery”.

My resolution would be simple. Don't conceal my range weapon, or patronize another range.

I used to go the Bass Pro in St. Louis all the time and was never asked, questioned, made or anything. Recently Bass Pro has become very proud of their stuff and is now downright expensive.
    Now I go to Cabela's at least once a month (good babysitting afternoon out with my 4 year old granddaughter to look at the fish tanks and animals). Nice sign on their door 'Concealed Weapons holder Welcome!). Plus great prices and tons of ammo.
    As far as ranges, I freqeunt two and both of them have no issue with CCW. When shooting and I want to fire off a few with my EDC, I just stand sideways and remove gun, set on the lane table and you're good to go. This is what both ranges have said to do when using your EDC for shooting. When done, I just pop my SD mag back in, turn sideways again, re-arm and I'm ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    No one can demand to see your permit other than an LEO. Unless you have to have a 'gun permit' in your state to have a gun and shoot. Since you are in Michigan..... there are some strange laws up that way, esp your neighbor state.

If anyone asked to verify I wasn't shooting a "unallowed" gun at the range or type of ammo that's fine, but that's all the info they get from me.
    Umm, yes I can demand do see your gun permit. I can also demand you go get me some popcorn too. How far I get with those demands is up to you and whether or not you wish to do business with me.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The first time I entered the BassPro in Harrisburg, packing, I looked at the sign on the door and wasn't sure if their "check all firearms at customer service" applied to concealed carry or not. So I asked lady who was watching the turnstiles if I needed to check my concealed carry gun? She said "heck no, you're fine, we only need to check them if you are bringing them in to trade in or for the gunsmith to work on." So I walked on in. The local Gander Mountain stores (Harrisburg and Chambersburg), Cabela's (in Hamburg), and BassPro all allow concealed carry in the store. The gun needs to stay concealed, but that's as it should be. There are very few places I can't carry in PA. Very few places are posted with no carry signs outside of court houses, airports, and schools. The local movie theater is posted so I don't go to movies there.

Fitch

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links