Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit.

This is a discussion on Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the range at Bass Pro. I think in the past I've moaned a bit about their firearm range, unfortunately, can't beat their price ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit.

Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit.

Went to the range at Bass Pro. I think in the past I've moaned a bit about their firearm range, unfortunately, can't beat their price and the hour lot of time they give. Most of the time 30 minutes is fine, and I head to the local range, but today required some work with the wife's new firearm (thus time needed).

Several stupid policies, like for example my B&W targets were not allow because they had a face on them (only outlines allowed) because, "...a child might might think you are shooting someone."

I just put the target up backwards so I could see where any misses hit and put on several stickers of reactive hit targets. Stupid policy, bigger concerns in the world.

The one that eats me a bit is as I entered the store, with a bag without a gun, I was required to provide my CC permit, inform them of the make and caliber of my CC firearm, number of mags I had, etc.

I guess I understand possible theft issues, however, I had a problem with them asking me so many detail about the firearm I was carrying and the demand that I produce a CC permit.

How can anyone other then LE demand a CC permit (other then during the purchase of a firearm)?

I've solved this in the past by simply carrying everything CC, but there was going to be just to much ammo on me today. It was funny when they asked me that question and my reply of more than 1000 rounds (had a box of bulk .22 LRs on me).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I guess I understand possible theft issues, however, I had a problem with them asking me so many detail about the firearm I was carrying and the demand that I produce a CC permit.

How can anyone other then LE demand a CC permit (other then during the purchase of a firearm)?

They cannot really demand to see your permit, but then, you may have some decisions to make. If that's the way they treated me, I'd do business elsewhere.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have never heard of anyone shoot more than about 450 rounds at a time.1000?

What do you mean by theft? Someone stealing from you? You stealing?
    I know they require everyone to check their firearms when they enter the store,but asking about caliber seems plain dumb to me.I can kill somebody with a .22 just as easy as i can with a .700 Nitro Express.Not sure about the permit thing though,i have never been to the range at Bass Pro but they never asked me for my permit when i checked in my gun.

JD
    Administrator
    IT's private property, they have every right to ask to see your permit, you have every right not to show them and go some place else. If you don't like it write a letter/email to the store GM etc.

As for asking about caliber, some in door ranges have specific calibers that are not allowed etc.

I do agree that how much ammo/mags etc is kind of odd unless they were trying asking to see if you "needed" to buy something "Only have one? You should buy three!" etc.

I would schedule a meeting with store GM and have a conversation about the situation. It might an over zelous employee driving this without the GM knowledge. It would'nt be the first time. If the GM is behind the actions, then I agree with ret.
    Last edited by ks kid; October 30th, 2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: missed a word....

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    IT's private property, they have every right to ask to see your permit, you have every right not to show them and go some place else. If you don't like it write a letter/email to the store GM etc.

As for asking about caliber, some in door ranges have specific calibers that are not allowed etc.

I do agree that how much ammo/mags etc is kind of odd unless they were trying asking to see if you "needed" to buy something "Only have one? You should buy three!" etc.
    REALLY? Please state your reference for this legal right.
    They have no more right to ask to see your permit then Joe Smuckatella of some city in Egypt. I'm curious for your reference to this matter.
    If this were true, then they can also ask about how many children you have, how much you paid for your house, and if you have ever committed a crime.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    They have no more right to ask to see your permit then Joe Smuckatella of some city in Egypt. I'm curious for your reference to this matter.
    If this were true, then they can also ask about how many children you have, how much you paid for your house, and if you have ever committed a crime.
    Maybe it was a poor choice of wording, if it's store policy there's nothing to stop them from asking if that's what they want to do. No one is required by law to show joe blow their permit but if you don't show it they can sure as heck ask you to leave.

I have to agree with JD on this one. They have the right to tell you you have to wear a purple tutu and dance the nutcracker before you can shoot at their range. On the flip side you have the right to tell them to kiss your behind.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    IT's private property, they have every right to ask to see your permit, you have every right not to show them and go some place else. If you don't like it write a letter/email to the store GM etc. As for asking about caliber, some in door ranges have specific calibers that are not allowed etc. I do agree that how much ammo/mags etc is kind of odd unless they were trying asking to see if you "needed" to buy something "Only have one? You should buy three!" etc.
    I don't agree with you. It is not a private property issue. Asking someone what firearm they are CC and the caliber is not the same as asking what firearm will you be shooting. They had no right to ask me if I was cc. They don't ask everyone that question (for example my wife, who had the large rolled up targets). She was the one who called in the range time under her name, and FYI she was cc, but they simply did not ask her. I had a coat on (as did 75% of everyone else), and was not printing.

Asking for a cc permit is not the same as asking for an ID, for example to prove over 18, even if on private property. It would be just be as improper to ask for the color of my wife's underwater and her library card.
    NRA Member

My local bass pro asks the same questions. However, once i show my permit, the questions stop and im not required to put a lock on any of the weapons i bring in (obviously i wouldn't lock my concealed weapon).

The range is only rated for certain calibers, every indoor range i've ever been to asks that question. I agree the number of mags is irrelevant.
    Russell
    XD9
    XD9SC
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

I only question the legal right to do so...it's about the same as their legal right to require me to wear a purple tutu...not a pretty sight, but not a legal right either.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    I don't agree with you. It is not a private property issue. Asking someone what firearm they are CC and the caliber is not the same as asking what firearm will you be shooting. They had no right to ask me if I was cc. They don't ask everyone that question (for example my wife, who had the large rolled up targets). She was the one who called in the range time under her name, and FYI she was cc, but they simply did not ask her. I had a coat on (as did 75% of everyone else), and was not printing.

Asking for a cc permit is not the same as asking for an ID, for example to prove over 18, even if on private property. It would be just be as improper to ask for the color of my wife's underwater and her library card.
    Then perhaps you should have included that in your first post.

Went to the range at Bass Pro. I think in the past I've moaned a bit about their firearm range, unfortunately, can't beat their price and the hour lot of time they give. Most of the time 30 minutes is fine, and I head to the local range, but today required some work with the wife's new firearm (thus time needed).

Several stupid policies, like for example my B&W targets were not allow because they had a face on them (only outlines allowed) because, "...a child might might think you are shooting someone."

I just put the target up backwards so I could see where any misses hit and put on several stickers of reactive hit targets. Stupid policy, bigger concerns in the world.

The one that eats me a bit is as I entered the store, with a bag without a gun, I was required to provide my CC permit, inform them of the make and caliber of my CC firearm, number of mags I had, etc.

I've solved this in the past by simply carrying everything CC, but there was going to be just to much ammo on me today. It was funny when they asked me that question and my reply of more than 1000 rounds (had a box of bulk .22 LRs on me).

I only question the legal right to do so...it's about the same as their legal right to require me to wear a purple tutu...not a pretty sight, but not a legal right either.
    Ok, lets go with something a bit less ludicrous then the purple tutu example. It's no different then a range requiring that you go through their safety course before shooting there or be a member of the NRA or use their ammo. It's no different then if you walk into Walmart and if you have a return you have to go straight to the service desk first. They can require you to do anything they want. It's your choice whether you do it or not.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I see your point JD, then I with also add they asked me, as I entered, the number of firearms I had CC. They did not ask what firearms I would be firing, etc. They never asked this question. I stated my wife and I would be firing a .380 ruger LCP. They had not looked in the bag, or checked any of our bags. After io let them know what firearm we would be using, they wanted to know all firearms I was cc. I stated technically as a cc permit holder, I should not be sharing what weapon I was cc, especially since I would not be using it at the range, but that I had a .357 sig.

After I replied what we would be firing, I was informed I was required to produce my cc permit. I stated I did not have the firearm on me that would be used at the range. My wife then shared that she was a cc permit holder, they ignored her, and again demanded to see my cc permit. They never asked her for her permit.

It was all very odd, it included many assumptions on the part of Bass Pro, and frankly impolite to ask someone to share what firearm the are cc if you are not going to ask everyone.

In addition, how can anyone other than a LE (or the seller of a firearm while in the process of the sale) ask for you to produce your cc permit?
    NRA Member

JD
    Administrator
    I see your point JD, then I with also add they asked me, as I entered, the number of firearms I had CC. They did not ask what firearms I would be firing, etc. They never asked this question. I stated my wife and I would be firing a .380 ruger LCP. They had not looked in the bag, or checked any of our bags. After io let them know what firearm we would be using, they wanted to know all firearms I was cc. I stated technically as a cc permit holder, I should not be sharing what weapon I was cc, especially since I would not be using it at the range, but that I had a .357 sig.

After I replied what we would be firing, I was informed I was required to produce my cc permit. I stated I did not have the firearm on me that would be used at the range. My wife then shared that she was a cc permit holder, they ignored her, and again demanded to see my cc permit. They never asked her for her permit.

It was all very odd, it included many assumptions on the part of Bass Pro, and frankly impolite to ask someone to share what firearm the are cc if you are not going to ask everyone.

In addition, how can anyone other than a LE (or the seller of a firearm while in the process of the sale) ask for you to produce your cc permit?
    Contact management. As for asking about the permit the permit, You can refuse and then you can leave or be asked to leave. They can ask you whatever they want, you are not required by law to answer to anyone buy LE but they are not required to let you shoot there if there is some policy regarding CC etc and you snub them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links