Am I expecting too much from this pistol?

This is a discussion on Am I expecting too much from this pistol? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I have a 1911. I don't want to say the manufacturer because I don't want to bash ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I expecting too much from this pistol?

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster.

I have a 1911. I don't want to say the manufacturer because I don't want to bash anyone in my first post, or ever really. Anyway, its not a real high end gun at all, one of the cheaper ones in fact. The thing won't feed JHP very reliably. I contacted the manufacturer asking if they'll look at it, and they said something like "our pistols are designed to feed FMJ only, but yes we'll work on it to make it do JHP reliably too."

When I drop a couple hundred dollar bills on a gun, I expect it to work. Thats why I do my research and make sure to buy good stuff (this came highly recommended). I bought a CBST holster and expected it to be worth $80, and it is. However, this gun says .45 ACP on the barrel, not .45 ACP FMJ only on the barrel. FWIW I have tried several brands and bullet weights of JHP and none really work.

Is it too much for me to expect it to feed JHP too, and if it doesn't expect the manufacturer to fix it on their dime?

It depends, if the gun is a GI-style with non-throated barrel then it's following a design that came before JHP was really used. Therefore, it wasn't really designed to take them. If you get the barrel throated or replaced then you can expect better performance with more than just hardball. Good luck with it, in any event.

Welcome to the forum!
    I doubt the manufacturer will modify their pistol for you at their cost if at all. I would recommend consulting your local gunsmith with the problem. It may be easily remedied and cost you less than you might think.

I agree with Ramrod on this one. And the cheaper desigs tend to stick with GI style which is not a HP gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Back in the eighties I had to have my Colt Commander throated to "semi-reliably" feed JHP's, so it's not just the cost of the gun. I stuck with hardball.

Senior Moderator
    If the gun just won't digest JHP, consider EFMJ.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Not an unusual problem with a 1911. Several months back I purchased a Springfield loaded Champion that would not feed JHP's. I contacted the company and they send me a prepaid return label to ship it back. They polished the feed ramp and reamed the barrel throat. When it came back it was 100% reliable.

You don't say how long you've had the gun. Are you the original owner and/or is it still under warranty? That will determine if they will pay to fix it, or if you will need to. Customer service varies greatly between manufacturers. I'd contact them again and if you get the same answer ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain the the gun was purchased as a defensive weapon.

BTW Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Unless it is a carry gun all you need is FMJ ammo to shoot.If it is your carry gun I would spend more money on a differant gun that would work when you shoot it.Only trust your life with a gun that works.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    My lower end Kimber feeds JHP and FMJ just fine. I do not know if this is normal. I am new to 1911's but maybe telling us the manufacture we can let you know what you should expect, it is not considered bashing, but giving us the information we need to give you an informed reply to your post.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    My lower end Kimber feeds JHP and FMJ just fine. I do not know if this is normal. I am new to 1911's but maybe telling us the manufacture we can let you know what you should expect, it is not considered bashing, but giving us the information we need to give you an informed reply to your post.
    Any modern 1911 "should" feed JHP with unless they tell you right out in the manual (see above post) that they didn't design the gun to. Any modern 1911 that doesn't feed JHPs needs to go back to the manufacturer for repairs.

Ex Member
    You buy a product and it SHOULD work out of the box. This crap about "lifetime warranty" or "their customer service is great" is bull.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! Good advice given above, can't expound on it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Not sure where you can find a 1911 for $200.00,but I have a RIA 1911 compact,a SA 1911-A1,and a Colt Combat Commander XSE,and they eat everything I feed them,my cheapest the RIA was $369.00 about 4 years ago,One thing you can try is using wilson 47d mags,if the follower in your mags is allowing the front of the bullet to drop even a little that could cause a jam
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I wouldn't expect a lot from a $200 gun. As others said, without knowing it's brand, it's hard to give advice. You don't say if it's broken in or not, or how many rounds you have through it. That can factor into your problem. If it's made to GI specs, feeding FMJ is about all it will reliably do without a little tuning up and tweaking such a throating the chamber and polishing the feed ramp and slide rails. Even a stronger recoil spring could help. I'm sure a gunsmith could get it running, but the trade off is going to be $$$.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links