Defensive Carry banner

New-old 336 hunting ammo?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  jbum 
#1 ·
I picked up a Marlin 336cs today at a small gun show in town for $275 OTD including a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope with peep mounts. I have been using a Remington 270 for many years for deer hunting but when I saw the lever gun it kinda spoke to me. For those of you who are using a 30-30 for hunting what are you finding to be the best ammo. Also there was not a sling or mounts included what are you suggestions for adding a sling. D.C. saves me sooo much surfing time heheheheh.

Thanks for all the advice!!

#3 ·
I have the 336 in stainless...love the gun, and it's about my 3rd one down through the decades...I'm keeping this one.
I have about 250 rounds of Federal Power-Shok 150 grain 30-30 Win.

#4 ·
Invest a few extra bucks and get the detachable swivels. Well worth it.

I used Federal ammo (it had the nice cartridge holders) in 150 grains. Most prefered 170 grains, but every deer I ever hit with the 150s dropped in its tracks with a big hole on the exit side.

The 3x9 is a bit extreme magnification for a 30-30 but if it's on it, so be it. I had a Glenfield (4x scope), which was the el cheapo version of the Marlin 336. Great gun. You'll enjoy it. Sounds like you got a nice deal.

#5 ·
150 grains shoot a little flatter than the 170s, but you're not going out past 200 yards with this gun so either will do fine. Pick a load and stick with it.

My 336 had studs but no swivels; I added the Uncle Mike's QD swivels and a GI-style sling from Midway. I find the "hasty-hasty" sling usage to be second nature for my offhand shots, and the GI sling makes that easy.

#6 ·
Congratulations. You now own one of the finest woods hunting rifles ever concieved by the mind of man. My advice to you after many years of woods hunting with a similar rifle is this: Ditch the scope and high mounts, get a good reciever mounted peep sight ( I prefer Lyman), no sling. I have killed, over the years, 2 pick up loads of deer with just such a set up and Winchester 150 gr Power Point ammunition. No deer has required more than 1 shot. I use a 100 yd zero. I have killed deer from 12 feet to 90 yards and never had a problem. I think a scope and a sling would only clutter up a fine brush gun.

#7 ·
As others have said the Federal Hi Shock works well. A little advice: Get rid of the peep mounts. They raise the scope so high you cannot get proper stockwell, or in laymens terms, cheek to stock contact which is a basic fundemental of good marksmenship. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. Either use the scope or the iron sites but not both! Take them off and run over them so noone else falls victim to this parelex. accuracy reducing, arborition of a pice of crap device!
If you want the best in open sites, get a Lyman click adjustable target peep site, and install it.
To be perfectly honest, a proper sighting set up is much more important than the ammo you will find in stores for a 30-30.

#8 ·
Office equipment Typewriter

A properly set up lever gun. 16.5 inch 44 mag marlin w/lyman aperature sights. Killed alot of game from 10 feet to 150 yards. They hit the ground/ lights out.

#10 ·
View attachment 21961
A properly set up lever gun. 16.5 inch 44 mag marlin w/lyman aperature sights. Killed alot of game from 10 feet to 150 yards. They hit the ground/ lights out.
How big is the aperture in your sight? I haven't mucked up my 336 with a scope yet but I'm thinking about a Williams or Lyman receiver sight, and at least the Williams has different screw-in apertures available.

#9 ·
Thanks Msgt and Smitty ordered and on the way. Ret thanks for costing me another 275 was all your fault. I'm really not fond of the peep sights so they will be gone soon. Will post picks asap!! Thanks again to all the DC folks for the advice!!

#12 ·
I'm not sure the size. They come with 2 sizes. Mine is the smaller of the two. I like the precision the click adjustments offer. And they have proved rugged in the field.

#13 ·
I'd go scope only. Low mount it and don't worry about the iron sights. The low end of the range will work fine.

My reasoning: a low-power scope is easy to sight through with minimal practice, allows easy pick-up of targets, and also will let you inspect the racks of any questionable size deer when a peep might not suffice. That would be the only time the higher end of the 3x9 would be useful on such a relatively limited-range caliber.

My 30-30 had a 4x scope and I could sight in on a running deer in the swamp bottoms. Any higher than that, the more iffy it got.

#14 ·
Mine is actually set up to accept a 4x compact Burris, backed up by the peep. The scope failed so I took it off in the field. Scope option is good, and aids in sighting detail and is definatley usefull, just make sure your iron sites are ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.