Never met any ATF guys until today.

This is a discussion on Never met any ATF guys until today. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never had any dealings with anyone from ATF until today. I've read some "horror" stories on the internet, and like most things, you wonder ...

Thread: Never met any ATF guys until today.

VIP Member

Never met any ATF guys until today.

I've never had any dealings with anyone from ATF until today. I've read some "horror" stories on the internet, and like most things, you wonder about the credibility of the internet story.

I went to an out-of-town gun show (I know, I know, but it's something to do) and ran across a couple of ATF guys, they had a table with books and pamphlets, etc., from their agency. I decided to stop and chat with them, and I did. They were very professional, informative, knowledgeable and answered a couple of questions I had. We chatted for quite a while. I detected "zero attitude" from them about anything we discussed, they seemed happy to help and meet folks walking by. I detected no animosity toward gun shows, or gun owners, got no "trick questions" from them either.

I try to be squeaky clean and have no reason for the ATF, or anyone else, to investigate me, though I'm sure if I were trying to conduct some type of illegal gun business they would vigorously pursue their investigation of me, and I wouldn't expect that to be particularly pleasant. They'd be doing their job.

I don't know about ATF guys in different parts of the US, but these guys were fine by me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

They are people just like anyone else. One of my friends is ATF here in Florida.

Senior Moderator
    I just spent all day Friday with one(AFT Field Supervisor) in my shop, building a suppressor. He bought lunch, we had a great visit, he's just a guy doing a job just like anyone else. Show them attitude and they'll give you some back. Treat them decent and you'll be treated the same.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm figuring they weren't there regarding alcohol or tobacco.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Why were they at the gun show, with a booth???
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    They had a table and two chairs set up in the lobby, I'm pretty sure the spot was free. On the table was some booklets and pamphlets related to gun regs. It seemed more like a PR thing and to answer questions from the folks attending.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Why not? There are a lot of gun owners, or people thinking of becoming gun owners that could use some education. As long as they're professional, and know their stuff.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

They always have a booth at the West Palm Beach Gun Show.
    I'm sure it's for PR but they could also be keeping an eye out for illegal activities such as straw sales.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Distinguished Member
    I imagine the BATFE is like anything else.

Most rank and file are probably decent people, and there will always be bad apples.

The bureaucrats are the ones that cause the problems.

Good experience I'm thinking. I sort of plan on meeting a few of them myself in the near future on similar terms. Just kind of hard for me to get images of vans, helmets, vests, heavy arms, and a door breech as the front man on the team coming to my door. Never want to be on that end of the stick. Suits and ties will do just fine by me. Ask anything they want to so long as I'm not laying on the floor or facing an MP5 when they do the asking.

Yes, I agree the BATF guys are regular people that are just doing their jobs.
    However, just like the rest of the federal government, the BATF needs some serious defunding along with the multitude of regulations that infringe on our 2nd amendment rights.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've spoken to ATF by phone regarding transfers of class III weapons. They were helpful and informative. However at a gun show several years ago, I had an individual approach me wanting to buy a gun I was selling. We had almost sealed the deal when he told me he was from Texas (the show was in NM). I turned him down and he walked off. I mentioned it to several friends at other tables and all agreed it was a classic set up. The guy returned several more times offering more and more, but it was no sale. He even brought by a "friend" with a local drivers license, but by this time I was ready to deck him and I think he knew it. He left and didn't return.
    I can understand them enforcing the law, as rediculous as some of them are, but to try to cajole someone into breaking the law is pretty low in my book.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

There are also usually ATF guys walking around the gun shows in plain clothes too. Me and my buddies have made a contest out of spotting them. In our area, it's usually the guys that don't look like good ol' pinto beans and cornbread eatin' redneck mountain boys. No beard, clue #1. No hat (NASCAR, fishing, hunting, cammo), clue #2. Dress shoes (no boots), clue #3. No flannel, clue #4. Sleeves, clue #5...you see where this is going.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links