.303 Brtish Ammunition

.303 Brtish Ammunition

This is a discussion on .303 Brtish Ammunition within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone. Been a long time since I visited here. I am looking around to buy some surplus .303 for my Enfield and it is ...

Thread: .303 Brtish Ammunition

.303 Brtish Ammunition

Hey everyone. Been a long time since I visited here. I am looking around to buy some surplus .303 for my Enfield and it is amazingly hard to find now. I was wondering if anyone had a) any ideas on where to find good stuff and b) how good is 1950s vintage .303 mfgd in England?

Here is a link to some I'm looking at: http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammun...ed-ammo-2.html

Thanks!
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

It seems like the supply of milsurp .303 has pretty much evaporated. Pockets of stuff turn up on occasion, but unless you're a reloader you're looking at buying regular production commercial ammo with soft point bullets at about 80 cents a round.

If you latch onto some vintage British ammo at a reasonable price, consider yourself fortunate. Chances are it does not use corrosive primers, but you'll have to do your research to know for sure. No biggie, though, if it is corrosive - you just get diligent about cleaning right away after a range session, and incorporate Windex into your cleaning regimen.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You know? I'm going to say something stupid here (but I don't care). Check your local Wal Mart store(s). Seems to me I've seen it within the last year in the UMC yellow box. Strange as it may seem. You can't find it through them online. At least get your local Wal Marts phone numbers and call and ask. Although I can be silly sometimes, I'm always serious. I don't think Wal Mart will ship ammo.

I have seen the same thing. There is NO 303 ammo at the 2 Cabela's I go to. I check every time. Bass Pro either. I have been picking up boxes here and there at gun shows (typically about $22/box) and there is a little gun shop where I have purchased a couple of handguns that carries it and I pick up a couple boxes there now and then. Too bad this stuff is getting harder to find, my 303 shoots better than the 270 Remington I have for deer hunting, plus drops them faster.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Any commercial .303 is sure to be downloaded to some extent. Liability concerns (old guns, questionable condition, etc.) are teh rule of the day. If old mil-surplus ammo had been properly stored, it should be good to go. My late uncle dropped many a deer with his surplus .303.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ozark Armory, in Springdale, AR always seems to have plenty whenever I want it. Surplus and new. Surplus is running about $30.00 a box for 50 rounds on clips last week.

Senior Moderator
    Southerm Ohio Gun is selling the .303 ammo at 22.95 bucks for 50 rounds.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammun...ed-ammo-2.html
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
    Too bad this stuff is getting harder to find, my 303 shoots better than the 270 Remington I have for deer hunting, plus drops them faster.
    I know! That is my problem. I LOVE that rifle, but it is getting harder and much more expensive to feed. I like it better that my .308 and my 30-06. I am as good with the Enfield with iron sights as I am with some of my friends scoped rifles.
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

So you .303ers........how does $300 for 500 rounds of Brit Mil Surplus sound?
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

Links