just a question about rifling

This is a discussion on just a question about rifling within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was cleaning my glock 26 a little earlier this evening after returning from the range and i noticed in the barrel that there are ...

Thread: just a question about rifling

just a question about rifling

I was cleaning my glock 26 a little earlier this evening after returning from the range and i noticed in the barrel that there are what seem to be 3 tiny scratches at the begining of the top 3 rifling lines. i cleaned it out a couple times more and they wont go away. is this a really big deal, what could cause this and what should i do about it?

2. Remove Ads

Have you looked at this in different light? Pics would be nice if you can post. What sort of cleaning regimen do you do exactly for your Glock?

the dark "streak" on the edge of the rifling is the culprit. it's somewhat difficult to see i understand, but those are the best three photos i could snap.
    as for cleaning the barrel, i use the spiral brush that came with the glock and only pass it through in 1 direction untill it leaves the barrel entirely and then back through the other way. then i use cotton (i think they're cotton) swatches pulled back and forth in much the same manner. that's all.
    ty for such a speedy response by the way, my dad was right about you guys, heh.

hmm, doesnt look like those pics stuck...

you can get them here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5373694...n/photostream/
    they'll be the 1st 3...

7out
    Check this out...
    http://www.firearmsid.com/A_bulletIDrifling.htm

Hit the 'next' buttons at the bottom of the pages, about 5 or 6 in...find Chamber Marks...

It's a start.

D
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i appreciate the link, interesting reading, but the "chamber marks," as i read it at least, are marks left on the cartridge from the chamber. my concern is with the scratches that have been left in my barrel.
    Also, i didnt say in my original post, but i check the inside of the barrel each time i clean it and i have not seen the scratches before today. this seems like a good palce to admit that i'm new somewhat to guns in general and am guilty of over cleaning... i am working on that and have been dimishing the amount of attention and cleaner my glock recieves. heh, it is leaking less and less cleaner after the fact each time. point being: i'm fairly meticulous in checking it over so i'm pretty certain these are new marks.

VIP Member
    Marks or scratches inside the barrel will cause no problems, the real problem is if there is any damage right at the muzzle. When cleaning it is preferable to clean from the chamber toward the muzzle, if that is not possible just make sure the cleaning rod stays centered in the bore to prevent muzzle wear or damage. I have an ’03 Springfield that has a barrel stamped 02/28 that looks like a corn cob was used to clean it but has a nice clean muzzle and will shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards all day long if I do my part.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The pics were difficult to make any guesses actually. Scratches and dark streaks are different deals as well. I have dark streaks between the rifling in most of my Glock barrels, and some go more than half way down the bore from the chamber. Not exactly scoring (like steel shot will do to a smooth bore shotgun barrel), and not scratches. A very small amount of bullet jacket material, and smooth. A couple of ways I use to tell if there might be something above the surface of the bore, or a scratch, is to either use a wooden toothpick or cotton q-tips to run over the surface to detect anomalies. With the toothpick, it's more of a feel for smoothness. The cotton q-tip swab can be run along and twisted over the area, and if there are sharp edges anywhere, cotton fibers will be deposited on them. My personal opinion? I think you've just got some normal wear and tear here, and the marks may continue down the bore farther from the chamber than what they are now. It may also depend on what types of ammo you use, and the bullet jacket material. As stated previously, scratches in the bore are more than likely not a concern. Also........you can see the bore differently from many angles and by different lighting conditions and looking from the muzzle end or the chamber end of the barrel. If the marks are indeed jacket deposits, you can probably do some extra cleaning efforts and remove them depending. I also recommend keeping a dry bore with the Glocks before firing. I think this is more important than keeping a dry bore with conventionally rifled barrels as any excess fluids have more of an escape route (grooves) once the projectile is fired down the barrel. Polygonal rifling (such as the Glocks employ) leaves very little excess room for anything other than the bullet to pass. Being meticulous is good. Over-cleaning isn't necessary. You'll get things down with experience. My Glock barrel cleaning consists of:
    1-Wet 100% cotton patch with your cleaning agent ( I recommend Gunzilla here of course), and (yes, I use 45acp patches for all of my Glocks regardless of caliber)/or spray some of your cleaning agent into the bore from the chamber end. Then I let that all soak while I do the rest of the Glock pistol cleaning/lube. Next, I'll take some of the cleaning agent and a wire brush (I use stainless steel, but you can use bronze or brass if you want), and briskly brush the feed ramp, the top of the chamber, and all around the chamber and wipe clean. Next, I'll make one pass back and forth through the barrel for each 10 rounds fired while the cleaning agent is still in there after soaking for (10 min?) with the factory nylon bristle brush/rod. If I've fired more than 100 rounds (typically 300 at a match), then I will clean the nylon brush every ten passes (by taking a 100% cotton t-shirt rag and wrapping it around the brush and squashing it in my hand by making a fist around it). Then, I'll run the 100% cotton patches through until the bore is dry and no evidence of darkness on the patch. Then I use the 100% cotton t-shirt rag once again, and wrap my pinkie finger in it, and insert it into the muzzle end and twist in one direction (CW or CCW) for a full turn and maybe two. Then I'll run a dry q-tip along the top of the barrel where it locks against the slide a few times and make sure it's clean. Between barrel and slide, I figure I spend about equal time on the cleaning and lube. The frame takes about half the time of either one of those. 20 minutes tops for the meticulous top to bottom for my Glocks no matter how much I've put through them in a day. On occasion, I've let them go on the cleaning until the next range session (if it's within the same week). Been several times a dirty Glock has been put back in my safe.

thank you

thank you guys very much for the input. i appreciate it and you have more than answered my quandry, it's reassuring to hear from guys who know.

Links