Range time today - Target pics

This is a discussion on Range time today - Target pics within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pinklady and I took the last 100 rounds of practice ammo that we had on hand and went up to the range to see how ...

Thread: Range time today - Target pics

Range time today - Target pics

Pinklady and I took the last 100 rounds of practice ammo that we had on hand and went up to the range to see how the Glock 19 shoots compared to the G26 now that we had the factory sights put back on the G19. Still not as accurate as the 26 but better than it was with the meprolights on it.

Here are 4 targets. 1 target each for her and myself with each gun. She fired first and I kept the targets and decided it would be a good idea to do that for both of us. Also we wanted to conserve some rounds, after she shot, I decided to just shoot 5 shots with each gun instead of full magazine to conserve rounds.

This morning we watched this youtube video that Bugdude posted on her thread that the G19 doesn't like her. We tried to put the practices to use.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Here is her target for the G19.

Here is her target for the G26.

My target for G19.

My target for G26.

Yes this was at estimated 25 feet paced off that is. We really don't see the need to target shoot beyond 25 feet.

We also picked up one of these today.

We didn't have many rounds left over to shoot at this, but we had fun doing it. I think, if we turn this into a game (kinda like on the Top Shot show) and I try to flip them all to one side and she tries to flip them back to my side, that it will help to increase her (and my) shooting speed. If we can get to where we can get them flipping back and forth from side to side pretty quick, then it will help our speed and our accuracy, which of course is better for us in a SD situation. Even prepare us to one day enter an IDPA match somewhere. It's kinda far to the nearest one for us I think, so it won't be anytime soon.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

No pics yet. No links. I'm guessing you all had a good day at the range. Speed shouldn't count as much as hits. Both of you should try a USPSA Steel Challenge match of available, then move on to the action part of IDPA or IPSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    No pics yet. No links. I'm guessing you all had a good day at the range. Speed shouldn't count as much as hits. Both of you should try a USPSA Steel Challenge match of available, then move on to the action part of IDPA or IPSC.
    No pics, No links? They show up on my end.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm not worried so much about speed as I am hits, but in the long run we need to increase our speed (especially her) from "very slow" aim, squeeze, shoot. I'd like her to be able to raise or draw the gun and within 5 seconds get atleast 2 or 3 rounds down range. Right now she puts her first round down range in about 7 seconds after raising the gun up. If she can hit those 5 inch diameter steel plates at a rate of 2 or 3 every 5 seconds that would be much better. 5" target at 25 feet is pretty good. Rather than really slow fire, and putting holes in a 1" or 2" bullseye. Unrealistic for SD. Several quick shots to a 5" diameter target will do her more good. She can start slow. I'm ok with that.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    This morning we watched this youtube video that Bugdude posted on her thread that the G19 doesn't like her. We tried to put the practices to use.
    Bigdude is a Her?

My Wheel-O-Target Shooting chart says:

1. PinkLady G19 - Pushing (anticipating Recoil) or no follow-Through
    2. PinkLady G19 - Breaking Wrist Up
    3. Tkruf G19 - Jerking or Slapping Trigger
    4. Tkruf G26 - Bullseye
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Bigdude is a Her?

My Wheel-O-Target Shooting chart says:

1. PinkLady G19 - Pushing (anticipating Recoil) or no follow-Through
    2. PinkLady G19 - Breaking Wrist Up
    3. Tkruf G19 - Jerking or Slapping Trigger
    4. Tkruf G26 - Bullseye
    No, the reference to Bugdude states that he posted on her (pinklady's) thread.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...58#post1796358
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Okay, I get it now.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I would have her start working on doubles, then triples, then quads, etc, while maintaining reasonable accuracy.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I had to read that part twice myself.

Half the fun of getting a new gun is the part where you need to spend a little quality time at the range with it. and in tkrufs case , the Mrs too.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Got the pics now. I'll attempt to try and assess the damages. Comparatively (and self evident by the pics), you do have a tendency to shoot lower than pinklady with both the G26 and G19. Whether or not this is normal, or an average, we can't tell. From previous posts, I'm still thinking it's her hold, and your trigger finger. Everyone's different, but the pistol is the same. I tend to shoot higher with the sub compacts myself, but I've never had an issue stringing horizontally. I'm either high, or low with any sights, and I compensate for the fact. Sometimes it takes me the first string at a match to get into gear, and realize what I'm doing. Other times, I'd wish I was shooting one of my other Glocks. We all have good days and bad days. Some of those things you really can't plan for. Just go with the flow, and adapt on the run. I'd say over all, you both did well on target. Maybe you need to work more on the grip and sight picture? If pinklady is consistent with her hold, I think she's right in the ball park and should continue doing whatever she is. You...on the other hand may be in need of some work. I'm glad you both got out to the range today. Working on things. That's awesome. My wife and I haven't been out for a while now due to my work schedule.

Whew, I'm glad we got the "him or her" question resolved. I was getting concerned.

That video is a good reference. It goes through some things pretty quick and hops around, but covers some fundamentals. Given different hand sizes and pistol vs revolver, some things are going to have to be personalized.

Looks to me like Pink should carry the 19 and tk should carry the 26. Given the short period of time, I'd say the target above with the 19 she is a quick study to have started just several days ago dodging hot brass. That's certainly workable SD shooting. Keep working on it. I've got a spinner target with two 5" plates that hang down. I love shooting at it much more than paper targets. Paper tells you what's going on. If you can hit 5" plates from various distances with speed and consistency, then that's good SD practice. Mine flip up, then I shoot the back to flip them down and criss cross left and right. My P95 seems to be my best spinner target gun with the XD40sc a very close second. They do help with speed of acquiring a new target as compared to shooting at a stationary target. Mix it up by gathering a lot of the political campaign signs and using them to post peel and stick targets on each side of your spinner set-up and take occasional shots at the stationary target on either side to mix it up. That's good practice right there. My standard practice distance is 15 yards. Just for fun, I like to stretch out to 35 - 50 yards with the spinner targets at the end of the practice sessions. With a little time, you'll be surprised with the percentage of hits you can attain from that distance with a compact pistol.

We really need to get together and shoot sometime before winter really sets in.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Whew, I'm glad we got the "him or her" question resolved. I was getting concerned
    Yep you can put off that new wardrobe for awhile.
    I realise most SD situations will occur at bad breath distances,but it's also a good idea to know where your gun shoots at 25 yards,even up to 50 yards,practice definitely helps,I shoot a lot of 22 to get the basics,then switch to larger calibers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

<chuckles> tell her pinkness to quit looking at the target before the gun goes off--stay on the sights. I'll bet ya that dollar that she no longer shoots high.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    We really need to get together and shoot sometime before winter really sets in.
    Give us a shout when you are ready. We'll work something out.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    It looks like you had a nice time
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links