"Inception" shooting method - curious? - Page 2

"Inception" shooting method - curious?

This is a discussion on "Inception" shooting method - curious? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw the movie and also noted this. It was not a shooting 'style' that he had employed. More accurately it was an employed manner ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Inception" shooting method - curious?

I saw the movie and also noted this.

It was not a shooting 'style' that he had employed.
    More accurately it was an employed manner of gun handling, not shooting.

Recall the _specifics_ of what was happening in the movie when he did this...

He was sneaking into an area trying to be covert with very specific intent to make no noise, and thus be 'undetected'.
    His gun was fitted with a muffler/silencer AND he had discretely charged the pistol to again reduce noise so as to not be 'detected'.

[I'm trying here to not give away the story plot...These items were key to the movies overall plot, and later well explained as to reason and again methods.]

As he approached an adversary he fired with his strong hand and used his weak hand to _catch_ the _ejected brass_, single shot by single shot to the adversary's heads.
    He went on to do this as I recall three times in succession...The whole time he specifically per the momentary movie plot trying to be covert and specifically silent in his approach. He was attempting to sneak into and steal the 'plan' from the clients safe. This was at the beginning of the film during the plot development phase.

Throughout the rest of the movie no such manner of gun handling was used as the issue of being covert and maintaining absolute silence was no longer plot relevant.

- Janq

"I wouldn't rely on Hollywood for any shooting methods or techniques." - SigGuy229
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It took some effort but I located a trailer showing exactly what DiCaprio did during that scene per the OPs query.

Reference time frames :02 to :05.
    It goes by very quickly so do not blink...

New Trailer for Inception -- Character Featurette
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmdlJ8foxBA

Again this was not a shooting style employed, rather just a momentary manner of gun handling specific to the scene effort and overall movie plot.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Pretty freakin slick!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    thanks for the trailer...i was looking for something like that earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Pretty freakin slick!
    Honestly, not really.
    Because it is not likely real.

How can you tell?
    The best tell is that the _actor_ does not blink during the so called shot (!).

It takes time and training effort to defeat the involuntary blink with the shot. An advanced shooters developed skill.
    I've never seen an actor pull this off....They always blink [the startle effect].

In this case DiCaprio does not blink during the inserted audio of him firing a shot. Also you see no actual ejection of a brass nor any recoil from the gun; The gun dips low upon trigger depression...But no _rise_ as a normal gun does at recoil even with sub-sonic ammo.
    Also there was never a flash and in this specific scene the gun is shown from the bore end perspective.

Hollyweird....A place where physics, biology and normal human conditions do not apply.

SigGuy had it right.

- Janq

Oh, I would find it hard to be real & then actually hit what was being aimed at........just looks cool.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    Personally, I drill that maneuver at least twice a week... I call it the 'leave no brass behind' drill. I also do the running upside down in the hall thing, but that one gets a little boring unless you can get someone to blow stuff up behind you!

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    In this case DiCaprio does not blink during the inserted audio of him firing a shot. Also you see no actual ejection of a brass nor any recoil from the gun; The gun dips low upon trigger depression...But no _rise_ as a normal gun does at recoil even with sub-sonic ammo.

- Janq
    Actually that is incorrect if you look closely he actually misses the brass as it flies out of the firearm. It bounces off his hand and falls to lower left screen. I saw this in the movie and thought it was a neat trick but improbable.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Also the gun does rise but his left hand stops it thus probably why he missed the brass. If you watch it again you can see his left hand get jared by the suppressor.

Not saying i agree with Hollywood im just saying. No offence Jang.

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    Actually that is incorrect if you look closely he actually misses the brass as it flies out of the firearm. It bounces off his hand and falls to lower left screen. I saw this in the movie and thought it was a neat trick but improbable.
    Yep...Now I see it (brass catch miss error), though only after I maximized the video to full screen and replayed it four more times. Far too much effort.
    None the less good catch. Pun intended.

When the simulated shot sound goes off the bore of the muffler angles and remains angled downward (trigger pull/snatching), prior to the gloved overhand effort. Normal guns rise when fired and don't dip at trigger pull when fired by a practiced shooter.

Still though again this is crap hollywood acting and cinema David Blanery magic at hand...Not tactics & techniques for the OP or anyone to take pseudo gunfu lessons from.

- Janq

Jang, Couldnt agree with you more. Now maybe if I worked for the blah blah blah and had a license to blah.....i might attempt it, but other than that ill keep both hands on my weapon unless im firing from the hip.

COPS Protective Services

If I worked for blah blah blah and had a licence to blah, then I'd have minions to police my brass, come up with a cover story, and to fetch my coffee :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links